Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 The Dreaded Hysterectomy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic The Dreaded Hysterectomy Next Topic  

Autumn
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Holly
Ontario
Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  09:30:00 AM  Show Profile
I am a woman who has a very evil uterus. It's caused me nothing but problems since I was a child. I suffer from excessive bleeding and excruciating pain. I have endometriosis which apparently runs in my family. In fact, lots of awful uterine related things run in my family. I have finally found a doctor who is willing to address my problem uterus.

For years I have been bleeding frequently and facing debilitating pain (which keeps me from being able to walk or focus). They've tried me on various birth control pills and pain medications but nothing has worked. I've also had two laparoscopies which yielded little to no endometrial tissue. No one has been brave enough to mention the more extreme measures because I keep getting stereotyped for my age. They all think I want children. I really don't like kids lol, I never have. My partner and I feel likewise about kids, it's fine if other people have them. I was lucky enough to get a gyno who allowed me to undergo tubal ligation at 25, apparently most doctors won't allow it. Unfortunately that gynecologist took off to another city, but I was lucky enough to snag another one just like her.

This gynecologist is offering up the possibility of a hysterectomy. As she put it, "if you don't want kids, why bother having a uterus? Especially one with so many problems!" So true. My problem is that I don't know which is better; having a partial hysterectomy, a full hysterectomy or having my uterine lining burned. The thing about burning the lining is that it's the least effective procedure. This is especially true if my pain has to do with the uterus as a whole (which I suspect is what she believes). She hasn't told me whether the hysterectomy will be full or partial. Almost every woman in my family has had a hysterectomy and they all say partial is probably best. I still don't fully understand why that is. I'm waiting on my follow up appointment where we will discuss these things in depth, but I want to know from other women's experiences which is the better route. I don't want to be pushed into something without being well educated and prepared. Thoughts?

*AUTUMN*

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13615 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13615 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  10:28:27 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Autumn,
Basically, a "partial" means you'll still have your ovaries which will continue to produce estrogen, which is important. With a total hysterectomy they won't remain, nor will their estrogen producing function.
I agree with you about getting all the information possible as to all the pros and cons.
Wishing you the best!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Autumn
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Holly
Ontario
Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  10:33:30 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I definitely want partial then. I want my estrogen lol. I'm still concerned about the side effects. I've heard a lot of nasty stuff like early menopause and shifting of the organs. It's pretty scary stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  11:11:10 AM  Show Profile
Holly, most likely the benefit of pain and excessive bleeding will far outweigh any side effects. In your younger years, if your ovaries stop working, they can supplement that with hormone therapy until you reach menopause age. Yes, there are pros and cons and only you can decide what matters most to you. Take your time, ask your doctor lots of questions and see what makes sense for you. I had a partial hysterectomy for excessive bleeding and it was hands down the best decision ever for me. To be relieved of all of the monthly problems felt like a new lease on life!! In time you will know what is the best decision for you!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  11:51:30 AM  Show Profile
Autumn I was in a very similar situation though I already had two children. The Doctor that did my hysterectomy recommended a full not a partial...reason being according to him most partials end up having to have the ovaries removed later as they still can cause the problems though not the bleeding. So at age 36 I opted for a full hysterectomy and have NO regrets. Yes I take estrogen daily but it's not causing any problems. It's been 24 years since my surgery and no problems, not side affects and feeling great.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  12:52:52 PM  Show Profile
Autumn,
I can only say what I would have done if I had the chance to go back again. I am 33 and had my partial hysterectomy two years ago this Sept. If I had the chance, I would have had it done full. I still suffer from ovarian cysts, bleeding (I have no cervix) and painful ovaulation. I now also have excruciating flares once a month from interstitial cystits. I have had that since I was in my early 20s and the major hormone confusion caused by only having one ovary sent it into a spiral. If you are absolutely sure you do not want children, I would whole heartedly recommend the full hystrectomy. Fast menopause can be controlled by herbs, and other natural things. This garbage of having to be on hormones (because I am in peri-menopause now) and medication for pain, plus other medication is the pits. My doctor even told me he was going to do a full and then changed his mind once i had the surgery and I didn't know about it until I was out of recovery. :(

Hugs,
Jessica

F.K.A. CRsHelpmeet

"A friend is one who overlooks your broken fence to admire the flowers in your garden."
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  4:34:16 PM  Show Profile
There are some alternatives, even to a hysterectomy. If you do go for the hysterectomy, a full might be the best route. Somoe women who have partials end up with problems with their ovaries. Many problems that women experience come from estrogen and progesterone imbalances and although it takes some time to get a regimen that works, it is well worth the effort. Getting rid of the "problem organs" doesn't actually get rid of the problem itself and it may show up in other areas after the surgery. I would look towards researching the true cause of these issues and options for dealing with it before making the decision for surgery. If you do have the surgery, there are herbal options to hormone replacement therapy which can be dangerous. Having a hysterectomy puts the body in a state of confusion because necessary parts are missing! It will take time to adjust. I had an oopherectomy 11 years ago and wish I knew then what I know now. I have polycystic ovaries and had LOTS of problems, one was removed and the other was scraped (to remove the cysts covering it)and I still had problems afterwards with my cycles, bleeding (it got to the point where I had to wear the super thick maxis PLUS depends--no joke, it was horrible), severe pain that would put me in bed for however long it lasted (usually 3-9 days). The surgery really did not make any difference other than to relieve some of the most excruciating pain temporarily. I started researching these problems and worked at it until I found the herbs and doses that worked for me (took a while) but I am doing MUCH better these days and am mostly symptom free, I do get a flare up every once in a while if I miss something (herb or diet wise) long enough. I haven't had the pain in years, cycles are more regulated, the bleeding is WAY better and I feel better. After the surgery, I've had some icky side effects--I still have little to no feeling in my abdomen and had some issues with testosterone overload (now corrected) and weight gain (which isn't going anywhere unfortunately). With all that said, my mom had a total hysterectomy due to fibroids and didn't like the hormone replacement side effects so she started using herbs and was fine. She said that she didn't regret the surgery at all.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Autumn
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Holly
Ontario
Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  07:05:52 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for all the advice!!

I'm going to have a very in depth conversation with my gyno in August. Before then I plan on having a list of questions prepared.

I've never had issues with cysts, although my Nana has. The stories of her procedure really freaked me out, I felt so bad for her. She said she was in a lot of pain, but it was well worth it in the end. It's strange, doctors have told me that my uterus looks perfectly healthy. Everyone has. When they opened me up for the laparoscopies they found next to nothing (one doctor laughed at me for it, as though I overreacted...). We've done ultrasounds all over the place and come up with nothing. Even this gyno thought I might be "imagining" the pain. She sent me to a psych friend of hers to have me assessed for bi-polar or manic depressive disorder. I was shocked to say the least, I couldn't understand why she was doing it. My gyno put me on an anti-depressive medication because she claimed it would reduce my pain, it turns out she was trying to target a suspected mental illness. Well, the little blue pills didn't work and actually made me really sick. They did nothing for my pain whatsoever. Later, I learned that the psychiatrist she referred had been conducting various studies linking abdominal and period pain to high anxiety mental illness. In my appointment with the psychiatrist I told him that the week before I was laid up in bed and couldn't walk because of my period. He sent me on my way.

I have suspicions that the location of my uterus is causing the most problems. It's tilted way back, it makes my cervix sit low pretty much all the time. My gyno did a physical inspection and everywhere hurt; towards the front of the uterus ...and my cervix, lord that was the worst of it. She just touched it and I was pounding my fists on the wall and trying not to call out. It was excruciating. I'm not sure what can be done if the position of the uterus is the problem, maybe removing it is our only option. I have to say all I want is to be able to wear clothes without worrying that I'm going to bleed on them or wake up one morning without dreading pain. I hope I can get to that point some day.

I'll keep everyone posted on what options she'll give me. She seems like a nice lady who is genuinely concerned, so I have a good feeling about her.

*AUTUMN*
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  07:15:52 AM  Show Profile
(((hugs))) to you! I think going to the doctor with a list of questions, including pros and cons for both procedures would be in your best interest. I have herd stories of what a blessing both types of surgeries were, as well as horror stories. I really think it depends on the individual, and what is done to manage any side effects after the surgery.

As for sending you to the psychiatrist, smh in dismay!!!! I find the actions deceitful and unethical.

Praying they find the cause and a way to manage your issues in the best possible manner for you!!!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  2:18:59 PM  Show Profile
Ask a lot of questions, go prepared. Good luck to you. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2014 :  3:58:15 PM  Show Profile
All of that you went through so far sounds pretty suspicious to me. Actually I read something the other day about a tilted uterus and low cervix, I'll see if I can find it again and send you the info.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Autumn
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Holly
Ontario
Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2014 :  5:32:15 PM  Show Profile
Although I'm sure it seems schemey, I don't think the gyno and the psych had ill intentions.

The pill my gyno prescribed works for anxiety disorders and pain, she felt it could take care of both problems (but I only learned this later, it was initially prescribed just for pain). She knew from the beginning that I struggle with OCD and a minor social anxiety disorder. I wasn't terribly interested in taking medication but she insisted it could help the pain. She gave me 1/10th of the regular dosage to do the test run, then discussed referring me to a psychiatrist.

I assumed my meeting with the psychiatrist was going to be about post op support and my ability to cope with my emotions. I didn't make the connection to the pills and his research until he started evaluating me. They have been successfully treating a lot of women with anxiety disorders. I was impressed by his findings, but we both knew that I wasn't one of those patients and I'd be better off with a hysterectomy. He insisted he would fax her and get her to book an appointment with me asap to schedule the surgery.

I think they had their hearts in the right place. She obviously didn't want to pull out my uterus without trying other, less invasive options first. She just did a terrible job of explaining those options to me. It was certainly a shock to walk into a psych office and start being tested for manic or bipolar disorder! I was a little offended that they felt my pain could all be in my head, but I'm more understanding now. Clearly for some women that is the case. I just wish they had stated it clearly rather than imply things and beating around the bush.

Edited by - Autumn on Jul 17 2014 5:34:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2014 :  09:56:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Holly,

I had the whole thing done and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I started getting fibroids that were making me bleed like you would not believe. I ended up in the hospital having to have a transfusion (or, I am told, I would have died in only a few days) They sent me home, kept an eye on me and it just got worse and worse. I had no life, could barely leave the house, and yet at first they would not do anything about it. I had already had two children and did not want any more and yet they told me that I should keep my options open just in case. Finally, after having had enough, I told them either I get a second opinion or I go some where else. The next doctor I talked to recommended that I just have a partial at first, but when I asked him what was the chance of it coming back even if I got a partial and he told me about seventy percent, I insisted on having the whole thing done. If I hadn't gotten the whole thing done and it had come back I would have had to have the whole thing done anyways. Now I am done with it all and I love it! I am free and I don't ever have to worry about the fibroids coming back. I wish you all the luck in the world with whatever you choose to do.

hugs,
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Marcy on Jul 18 2014 10:02:23 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic The Dreaded Hysterectomy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page