msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2014 :  08:13:08 AM  Show Profile
Did any of you read the small article in this month's MJF about ditching the bra? Let me tell you my story.

I have always had fibrocystic breasts. 3/4 into my monthly cycle, I would experience tenderness and swelling, which I had come to accept as 'normal'. About a year and a half ago or so, I started experiencing some sharp pains just below my breasts intermittently, right where the band of my bras would touch. After removing said bras for a couple of days, the pain would not be there. Then, I noticed how heavy and swollen my breasts would get at that 3/4 mark every month. I had never experienced this kind of swelling or soreness to that degree, and it was now happening for a week or more out of the month.

WELL, I read that article and thought to myself how it makes absolute perfect sensse that a bra restricts the lymphatic flow, and in fact, is not unlike binding one's feet or putting a rubber band around an appendage. I bought some cami-type tops (they look like a sports bra mixed with a cami but not restrictive at all, and have a very thin padding around the nipple area), and I started wearing them exclusively about 6 weeks ago.

Hello!!! I am telling you WOW what a difference! NO soreness, not even at the 3/4 mark. The lumpiness that I have always had in regards to the fibrocystic quality I have always had is so very diminished. I feel like a guilty party! I've been stuffing the girls into horrible things with underwires and bands and the like for years. :(

I just wanted to let you sisters know that ditching the bra has worked for me, and I'm a convert! Now I'm going to try going completely without when I'm around the house, which is about 90% of my life. lol

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2014 :  6:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Amanda,
I never have a bra on at home. I had a really hard time finding a comfortable bra to wear after my lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. Finally I got a Bali bra that is awesome. My surgeon is not big on under wires. The funny thing is that for many, many years I had pain in the same breast I got the cancer in. Every bra I ever wore hurt me under my breast. Glad to say I had a breast exam by my oncologist yesterday and the girls are fine. I see my oncology radiologist next month and will get checked again. I see 3 doctors and they space it out so I see one of them at least every 3 months.

Take care and anything that feels wrong needs a check up. The earlier a cancer diagnosis , the less treatment needed.

Also, Women are putting their cell phones in their bras. A no no. Young girls are being diagnosed with cancer.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2014 :  7:08:31 PM  Show Profile
Glad your check up went well! I have always had some kind of intermittent pain associated with the bras, but never the stabbing sharp pains I had been getting. My exams always came out just fine and I was never told it could be just from wearing a bra. One of my friends told me she, too, has had these pains, and her gynecologist told her it could be associated with hormonal changes, but didn't say a word about wearing a bra.

I can't imagine wearing my phone in my bra! can you?

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Greendreams
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Lilliane
Surrey BC
Canada
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  5:07:18 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone read Dressed to Kill by Sydney Ross Singer & Soma Grismaijer? I heard them speak about the issues of wearing bras and was converted. I've already had a 90% reduction in a fibroid that I've had for 30yrs, and in just a few months! I keep meaning to pick the book but have been so busy (though mostly braless )
There's more info at their site: www.killerculture.com

Lilliane Graie, CH, RA, EOT
If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans. ~James Herriot
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  09:28:31 AM  Show Profile
I have recently read a few articles about bra wearing and have changed mine to something like the genie bra (but alot cheaper), I got ones that are a little bigger than what I thought I needed to give some extra room (I'm not big breasted at all so that isn't an issue) and I have also noticed a HUGE reduction on issues I've had with fibrocystic breasts and monthly cycle related pain, tenderness and swelling. I won't ever wear a regular bra again. I also like wearing tanktops at home and being bra free as much as possible. It is so awesome!!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9321 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9321 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2014 :  7:09:35 PM  Show Profile
I don't wear them any more except for Sunday when dressing up for church or going to a wedding etc. Though the ones I do wear then are loose. I may look into the cami tops for the dressier outfits. I feel so much better without one. I also don't have the back pain I used to since going bra free.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  1:17:45 PM  Show Profile
I generally only wear a bra to work and if I'm going out in public. At home I'm always braless. I've noticed a great reduction in breast discomfort as soon as the bra comes off.

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  2:20:54 PM  Show Profile
Interesting to know all of this information. Thanks.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  2:43:06 PM  Show Profile
I have been struggling to find a comfortable alternative. I am just about 42 and I would say for the last 5 years bras have driven me especially batty! Feeling like I'm wearing a noose around my chest no matter how big around I get. I am not large chested, but like coverage when out and about. Anything out there that isn't "smushy" like a sports bra?

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  2:51:19 PM  Show Profile
I am not at the point where I am ready to give up the bra yet. I wear the underwires and know that I shouldn't but I'd guess Id' be one of those women that feels more confident with her bra on. lol I'll get there, I am just not there yet. I know that I need to seriously think about the pros and cons, etc.

Hugs,
Jessica

F.K.A. CRsHelpmeet

"A friend is one who overlooks your broken fence to admire the flowers in your garden."
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  7:21:02 PM  Show Profile
I like to wear sleeveless Capezio leotards instead of tank tops. No bra need apply! They are remarkably supportive without binding and provide just enough coverage for modesty. The Capezio brand has a nice silky- smooth finish, unlike Danskin, which are a little rough. This is important if you use the leopard as a first layer under a lightweight blouse or tunic. You don't have to settle for black, "ballet pink" or whatever you think of as a leotard color: If you hunt, you can find Capezios in plain white and they take dyes nicely. I like the Dharma Trading Company "procion" dyes, which come in a dazzling array of wonderful colors.

Of course, there's a bit of an issue with leotards in the rest room, but come on, we're farm girls. We can get around little chellenges like that. ;)

Edited by - Rosemary on Jul 16 2014 7:21:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2014 :  4:00:18 PM  Show Profile
I hadn't thought about using leotards but that makes excellent sense!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Goodbye, Bra! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page