Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 miniture donkeys for "lawnmowers"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic miniture donkeys for "lawnmowers" Next Topic  

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2014 :  2:21:09 PM  Show Profile
I have convinced the hubby he needs to cut down on some of the mowing he does, to take down a couple of fences and let the goats in to help. All of us goat owners know they are browsers not so much on grazing. I am considering fostering two mini-donkeys from a local rescue to "mow" for us. Do any of you donkey owners have any input for this? I know some their needs are different from goats, but that is easily overcome. Hubby is already figuring out which end of the animal barn to add on to for them to have shelter, and I am reading up on donkey care. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2014 :  3:37:51 PM  Show Profile
if they are not tame and/or easy to catch, keep halters and short( about 2 foot long) lead lines attached, make sure they are not jumpers (is your fenceing high enough), use treats to teach them to come to you, they are very inteligent and rarely forget abuse, so sometimes they will never warm up or trust people again...I have mini mules, and they are great flock protecters, they will keep out stray dogs and coyotes, fox and badgers...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic miniture donkeys for "lawnmowers" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page