Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Help! Bug bites of some description!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Help! Bug bites of some description! Next Topic  

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  03:39:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi all! Yesterday our family went blueberry picking. I wore a pair of long capris for the picking. Between where my capris ended and my socks started, I have a TON of bug bites, that go in a circle around each leg. They itch something awful this morning and are swollen. I would normally look at them and say misquito bites, but the fact that they go in a circle around my legs makes me think they are not, not to mention I do not have any on my arms or anything that was also uncovered.... And no one else has any either. Thoughts? Suggestions?

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  04:45:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Shannon! You poor thing!

The first thing that comes to mind is that it could be chigger bites. I read a long time ago that they are often found in berries, but more so in raspberry plants. Then I was thinking how the bites are only on the skin that wasn't covered, and that nobody else has it... I'm wondering if maybe instead it's a topical rash that is blistering? You may have been in contact with a poisonous or other type of plant that you are allergic to. In either case, I would start treating it with calamine lotion and maybe some sort of otc or natural antihistamine. Maybe it would be best to call your physician's office first, though, and speak to the nurse to see what she thinks.

Finally, and I don't want to scare you or overreact, but, MRSA is found everywhere outdoors, especially in soil and at farms. It has been quite a concern in our areas for years. I myself had it a few years ago, and my doctor at the time kept insisting it was a nasty case of flea bites. One simple test proved him wrong. It took a long while to get rid of it, believe me. Sheer misery. And it's highly contagious, so if it's even a remote possibility, you want to seen the doctor right away, ok?

I hope you get some relief soon. I will definitely pray for you!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jun 19 2014 04:49:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  04:56:24 AM  Show Profile
Yikes! Chiggers was the first thing that came to mind for me as well, but I don't know much about it... guess I'll be doing some research!!!

As for MRSA - I've heard that coconut oil is great for it. Anyone have any experience?

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  05:51:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh Shannon, my daughter had MRSA and it is really bad stuff. She worked in a vet clinic and got it there. If it is even a remote possibility that it might be MRSA, go to your doctor now! It is very resistant to antibiotics and needs to be treated quickly.

I am more inclined to think that it is a plant allergy, as it is in a circle. Topical Benedryl should help with the itching and I have used an oatmeal bath when I get to itchy. (I am extremely allergic to Mosquitos)

Sending farmgirl hugs that things get better quickly.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  05:51:15 AM  Show Profile
They actually gave me some sort of ointment to put in my nose to get rid of the MRSA, which was on my ankles and torso! It was the craziest thing, and it took forever to get rid of it. I actually thought my doctor was nuts for not doing more, but eventually it went away. If you've read coconut oil is good, I'd give it a try, but I'd still be concerned because MRSA is highly, highly contagious and hard to get rid of...and you can get so sick from it, Shannon. We don't even use bath towels more than once anymore because the doctor told us not to - MRSA lives in them, too!!! It's insidious stuff. Having said that, though, isn't coconut oil just the most amazing stuff?! I love it!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  06:22:10 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Yikes!!!! Chiggers were my first thought as well. now I'm leaning more towards you touch something your skin disagree with plant life. I'm not sure about MRSA. I don't know anything about it. Perhaps you could try some coconut oil maybe mix in a little tea tree and lavender oil with it?

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl.wordpress.com

www.simplyaroma.com/aliciawinkler 100% certified therapeutic grade essential oils
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  06:51:59 AM  Show Profile
Since this is so "exciting" in a weird sense of the word (I love finding herbal and/or natural remedies that work!), I figured I would share what I am trying and if it works. If it is MRSA, I'd rather try to find a natural way to fix it, only because if it is already resistant to methicillin, a super strong antibiotic, it worries me to treat it with other antibiotics, because it can mutate and become resistant to those as well. With that said, if it appears to truly be an infection, I will certainly see the doctor - we already have an appointment set up for my daughter next week, anyways. (For those that do not know, MRSA stands for methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus, which basically means it is a bacteria that is resistant to a strong antibiotic). I find the towel thing interesting, and we will now be washing towels everyday :)

I am more inclined to think they are chiggers or an allergic reaction to something. So far we are treating with basil. Yup - you read that right. Apparently basil poultices are great for itching sensations from insect bites. Though chiggers are an arthropod, so not an insect, I'm trying it nonetheless. Between the poultice and working on tomatoes, I am not dying to scratch right now ;) I will probably be trying something different though after I feed the baby in about half an hour or so. I will keep you updated :) Oh - and for anyone curious, I ground up some fresh basil with my mortar and pestle and put the leaves on the bites and covered it with ace bandages to keep it there :)

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  10:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
AWESOME!! I hope it works!! <3 You!!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl.wordpress.com

www.simplyaroma.com/aliciawinkler 100% certified therapeutic grade essential oils
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  11:42:52 AM  Show Profile
Yes! And please keep us posted! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  3:12:25 PM  Show Profile
Tried coconut oil with lavender, peppermint and thieves essential oils. It worked for a little while, but now I am ready to dig into them again :/ As soon as I am done feeding Aly, I'm going to try a calendula poultice. My heart it itches!!!!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  12:46:18 PM  Show Profile
Shannon, by now I hope the bug bites are gone! My husband had chigger bites all over his body early this year! OMGoodness, it took weeks to get rid of those bites. Hope you are feeling better.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2014 :  3:02:03 PM  Show Profile
One more vote for chiggers. This is their high season, too. I had an attack of the little horrors a couple of years ago and wound up having to go to a dermatologist for some prescription-strength steroid cream to deal with the itching. I might even have gotten a shot, too, I don't remember. What I *do* remember and will never forget is how miserable it was. My heart goes out to you!

That dermatologist I went to said whenever you're out amongst grasses or other vegetation, cover up your feet and legs totally (tuck pants into socks, wear real shoes or even muck boots or Wellies), and wash down right afterward, clothes straight into the laundry. That helps you avoid deer ticks, poison ivy, chiggers and other biting bugs. She also recommends using an insect repellent spray but only on your clothing, not your skin. I don't know about that. Any kind of pesticide scares me. There are herbal alternatives. i love the ground basil treatment. I'll mention that to my husband, who is suffering from a Mystery Bite right now that nothing seems to be helping.

Blessings!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Help! Bug bites of some description! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page