Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  07:17:17 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any good natural at home remedies for treating acne at home with out buying costly items?

A good man has enough sense to know when to agree with his woman & the good sense to know when to shut up xP
Sister#5410

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  6:42:47 PM  Show Profile
witch hazel, tea tree oil and aloe vera work pretty well. use a gentle soap to wash or make a scrub with salt and olive oil, lemon juice, egg whites, honey are also good for the skin

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  7:27:39 PM  Show Profile
Good tips I'll try them..any one know of good gentle soaps?

A good man has enough sense to know when to agree with his woman & the good sense to know when to shut up xP
Sister#5410
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  6:27:58 PM  Show Profile
Castille soap is awesome. Most goat milk/honey soaps are pretty gentle. Dr. Bonners (not sure I spelled that right) is also good.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  7:34:03 PM  Show Profile
wonder if shea,cocoa & mango butter base soap would be ok with tea tree oil in it

Sister#5410
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  06:27:24 AM  Show Profile
That would be good too!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  07:47:17 AM  Show Profile
I'm gonna try that in the batch of soap I make maybe next week xD

Sister#5410
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  11:05:45 PM  Show Profile
try a natural yogurt facial...any flavor, it kills the bacteria : )

Hugs,
ZenGoddess/Southernplum
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
http://southernplum.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2013 :  04:41:48 AM  Show Profile
You can also go out in the yard and pick plantain leaves. Wash them, chop them up, then put in a qt jar. Fill with good raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Put in a dark cupboard for at least a month. Then strain off plantain. Use as a mild astringent.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2013 :  2:07:01 PM  Show Profile
If you don't have time to make your own, a good mild store-bought soap is the liquid Cetaphil in a pump bottle.

I agree about witch hazel. Thayers is good.

Whatever you do, be very gentle. (Tea tree oil can be a little harsh on some people and if you stay clean, you shouldn't need it). A tip I got from a dermatologist once was to keep your hands off your face. For example, don't prop your head up with your fists while reading and so on. Another tip I got from the same dermatologist is to quit using commercial fabric softeners in your laundry, especially towels that you use to dry your face. Use white vinegar instead. That's also a nice little money-saver :)

Stress is a biggie, and the usual health advice works: fresh air, exercise, good natural foods and all that. Foods that are especially good for healthy skin include yogurt (not the sugary junk, but the real thing -- ideally, make your own) and the antioxidant fruits like blueberries and strawberries. It's also vital to drink lots of water. Anything that's good for your gut will be good for your skin.

One last thing I learned from having genetically weak fingernails that got stronger: add 3000 units or more of Biotin to your daily routine. It's great for nails and skin and not something you're likely to get enough of in your food.
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2013 :  7:27:05 PM  Show Profile
Clean pillow cases, towels never use the same ones twice.

Any little bacteria on the cases and towels get back on your face.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  07:21:40 AM  Show Profile
One of the many benefits of organic apple cider vinegar is how it clears your skin. Drink at least tablespoon a day in ice cold water of glass.

Best of luck finding what will work best with your skin.
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  09:02:02 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, I've heard many claims for drinking organic apple cider this way. While I can't say I can vouch for its effectiveness since I've never been able to stick with it long enough to reap the benefits, I do know that it's very good topically for skin and hair that may have had its pH balance thrown out of whack by chemicals in our water or in soaps.

Diana, good advice. Pillow cases collect dust from our hair and heaven knows what else. It it isn't practical to change pillow cases every night, maybe wearing an old-fashioned nightcap would be smart. And potentially cute ;)
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  6:25:44 PM  Show Profile
Mara, I have researched the many medicinal qualities of ACV and what studies have been done, show it does work. Since organic apple cider vinegar is available to everyone, there isn't a lot of funding for research on it. No one can patent it, so they can't make $ off it. From what I read, ACV has been used as a medicine since the time of the Pharaohs'.

I have been drinking a tablespoon for ACV in ice water for about 7 or 8 years now. It took care of my aches and pains (I am 53 and come from a family of arthritis sufferers), my skin is clear and smooth, I rarely get sick, and I never get heartburn. My husband is a physicist and refused to believe ACV could help with anything. He kept getting really bad heartburn and had a spur in his one foot. One night he was in a lot of pain from heartburn, so he finally drank a glass of the ACV/water. It took less then 15 minutes and he was fine. So he kept it up and within 3 months his foot was fine and he didn't need to sleep with the "boot" the podiatrist had prescribed for him (he had worn it for almost 2 years). My husband has been a faithful ACV drinker for the past 4 years now and has some of the other scientists at his lab drinking it too. One of our friends, a top physicist in his field, can't get over how much ACV has helped his stomach problems and drinks it daily. His wife, a MD, can't believe the ACV is actually helping him, but he no longer needs prescriptions for his acid reflux.

Do the research and see what you think.

Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Sep 02 2013 6:42:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  8:44:52 PM  Show Profile
roseymary thank you for your input!.I have heard of biotin and have only taken a low does so thank you for bringing that up!..and I have tried cetaphil it made my skin oily can you recommend anything else?
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  06:21:06 AM  Show Profile
Linda, my dermatologist stressed that I need to take at least 3000 units daily. I get a kind at CVS that is 5000 units. It really does help a lot. For years, I had a nail on my left hand that insisted on splitting vertically, which is why I asked him about all this. The biotin has made it much stronger, so I don't have to worry about it.

I notice Cetaphil comes in a few different forms. Did you use the plainest, most basic one? It has no oils in it and is very mild, so rather than it making your skin oily, I imagine it just didn't strip it of the oils you produce naturally, as a harsher soap would. Your skin needs those oils! You just don't want them sitting on your skin and clogging your pores all day and night, so frequent washing with mild soap is really the best thing. When you can't lather up, you can use witch hazel on a cotton ball to keep the oil under control. I can sympathize with your need to find something that strikes a good balance, but please don't go stripping your skin of oils because that will irritate it and cause even worse breakouts. :( By the way, I remember you asked about making soap with shea butter in it. I wouldn't do that, because that's adding oil on top of already oily skin.

The whole fresh air, sunshine, exercise, water, healthy food (heavy on the antioxidants, light on fats) is your long-term best friend for good skin.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  06:22:54 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, your experience is inspiring! I keep a bottle of Braggs in the bathroom. I should use it!
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  09:07:43 AM  Show Profile
I tried the basic cetaphil and I have tried the shea butter soap it's help reduce some of my redness in my face as well as help with dry flaky skin..thanks for letting me know about the biotin I only take a low does.so I might have to up it a little!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  12:42:04 PM  Show Profile
So Linda, I'm confused. Is your skin oily or dry and flaky? It's possible to have both, and if that's what you've got, it's even more important to be gentle with your skin. Do you think you might have Rosacea? My dermatologist diagnosed me with that and has me using a prescription cream called Metronidazole, which I use morning and night. Made a huge difference. Bear in mind I'm a lot older than you (I'm 65, which may explain why I might sound "snobby" sometimes -- I never learned "Twitterspeak" and don't intend to! Of course, I understand that you might not want to use Rx-type medications. Maybe some other Farmgirls here can suggest herbal approaches to reducing the inflammation of Rosacea and similar conditions. Calendula comes to mind off the top of my head. You can make an infusion and keep it in the fridge for a few days to use as a toner instead of witch hazel, maybe.
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2013 :  1:16:49 PM  Show Profile
I have very oily skin but it's dry and flaky to (i know weird right).I might have rosacea but I'm not 100% sure(I cant afford to go to any type of doctor at the moment) but the redness is limited to the parts of my face that turned blue/purple when my umbilical cord was wrapped my throat when I was being born (it's limited to my cheeks,chin and forehead..twitterspeak?..I dont know where or what to buy calendula wise I have used witch hazel but I tend to only use that and rose water tone mixture when I have a really bad spot that's itchy and flaky.sorry it took so long to reply my fiance is here from the uk and I only have a day left to spend with him :(...so my acne is really acting up and my skin is really irritated due to stress!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2013 :  1:38:30 PM  Show Profile
Rosacea typically shows up right where you're experiencing the redness (cheeks, forehead, chin) but mostly the nose (although my rosacea isn't on my nose at all -- go figure). Acne-like eruptions are part of it, so what you have might not actually be acne, but rosacea. If you can get to a dermatologist at some point for a diagnosis, that would be helpful. The treatment is cheap and it works fast. You'd be amazed. Meanwhile, stay away from using anything harsh on your face and try to de-stress is you can, as well as getting healthy doses of fresh air and sunshine, water and good food. Steer clear of alcohol and spicy food, which can aggravate rosacea. Don't get overheated -- might be hard with that UK boyfriend on hand! :)
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2013 :  2:05:43 PM  Show Profile
My son had acne very bad for several years. We tried many things.
Finally he tried Vit D supplements. It worked well. As will getting in the sun.
ACV works great too.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2013 :  3:55:07 PM  Show Profile
Not surprising, Jenne, since sunshine = Vitamin D. They say that Vitamin D deficiency is a thing now because we either don't get outside as much as we used to, or when we are out, we slather on the sunscreen, cover up with long sleeves, hats etc. and I suppose some people who have cut back on milk are missing put on that source if Vitamin D also (store-bought milk with D added). Glad your son's skin improved. Acne is such a horrible thing to go through, especially hitting us as it does when we 're already do vulnerable about our looks .

Edited by - Rosemary on Sep 10 2013 9:52:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2013 :  07:14:09 AM  Show Profile
LOL rosemary ur funny..and it's not the fiance thats got me over heated it's the cali weather :(..oh well hopefully I'll be in the UK sometime next year where it's cooler..and my nose does get a little red 1 week every month when the weather is to hot for me..most of my acne is limited to the red parts of my face..is there good over the counter meds for it?.rosacea that is
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2013 :  10:00:22 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I don't know of an over-the-counter remedy for Rosacea that really works. Unfortunately, the "fix" is a prescription for Metronidazole. Any doctor or physician's assistant can prescribe it for you, if they agree that what you have is rosacea. Any chance you could see one somehow, maybe at a free clinic? They might even have some free samples they could give you. Or if you're going to the UK, it might be over-the-counter there. Maybe your BF could bring you some if so. (That's legal, right? I don't know.)

Edited by - Rosemary on Feb 09 2014 5:44:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2013 :  09:17:47 AM  Show Profile
LOL @(That's legal,right?.IDK "I don't know") I think I'll go to a doctor in the UK at xmas time when I'm over in the UK it costs me almost $100 to see a doctor here O.O.besides I'm going to the eye doctor there as well cuz it's cheaper to.and they maybe have it over the counter there not sure tho.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Acne help Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page