New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Musty Cupboards Next Topic  

mandymarie20
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2014 :  11:37:59 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know how to get a musty smell out of your cupboards? I have wood or fake wood cupboards. I think they are from 1960's - 1980's, They are not the original cupboards for my 1929 home because I can still see the marks on the ceiling where the old cupboards used to reach. The previous owner did not know when they were from. The smell comes when the seasons change. Now that it's summer, their smelling again. I clean my cupboards regularly and don't keep food in them. I don't see any damage or stains on the wall from cracks or weather damage.

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2014 :  4:44:50 PM  Show Profile
I assume that you have some humidity, so when its hot and humid the pores open in the wood and let out that musty smell...get some charcoal that is for the filters in fish tanks, put it in small glass bowls and set several of them in each cupboard, along with glass bowls with baking soda and close the doors tightly , and if you have to, tape shut...every 3 -4 days, change the charcoal and soda, it might take awhile but it will reduse and or remove odors...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2014 :  6:56:27 PM  Show Profile
Could you try putting a cut onion in there to soak up that musty smell?

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2014 :  12:40:07 PM  Show Profile
duplicate post, sorry

Edited by - Rosemary on Jun 15 2014 12:43:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2014 :  12:42:19 PM  Show Profile
Charcoal works great. I bought a loveseat one time from a thrift shop and when I got it home, realized it had a cigarette smell in it -- awful! I found a big Christmas-tree-sized plastic bag somewhere and sealed the whole loveseat in it with half a bag of untreated charcoal briquettes scattered under the loveseat. After about a week or so, I took the loveseat out and it smelled fine. No odor at all. It might have worked even better with the baking soda.

Of course, it would probably be a good idea to empty out the cabinets entirely and wash them down with white vinegar.

Just had an awful thought. :( Do you think it's possible that there is some mold on the walls behind the cabinets? Could be you have a leak somewhere that is related to the change of seasons. If that's the case, you'll have to take the cabinets down and solve the underlying problem.

Edited by - Rosemary on Jun 15 2014 12:43:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2014 :  1:56:34 PM  Show Profile
My friends used dry coffee grounds on a smelly sofa, and I just tried with a musty piece of furniture. I'll let you know how that goes. I also read somewhere you can wipe down the cabinet with vodka.

Blessings,

Carol
Farmgirl 1823

Sow what you want to reap.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Musty Cupboards Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page