Marie_Angelique
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Maria
Fort Leavenworth KS
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2014 :  11:47:21 AM  Show Profile
Hey farmgirls! Just trying to find out which of my farmgirl sisters is also a runner! I find that when we have more people on the cheering squad even a virtual one, it helps with motivation!

Maria {Sister #3030}
"If it does not nourish the soul, get rid of it."
www.thegoodlifegirl.com

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3105 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3105 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2014 :  12:26:40 PM  Show Profile
I'm getting back into running again. In the spring of 2010 I ran my first marathon and kind of took a long vacation from running until last week. I ran a mile four times then on Saturday made it 2 miles. It seems awful slow and hard compared to what I used to do, but with a break that long I'm back at the beginning.

Are you a distance runner? How long have you been running? I've been running on and off since my sophomore year of high school (18 years ago).

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Marie_Angelique
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Maria
Fort Leavenworth KS
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2014 :  1:43:12 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I have been running competitively since high school but after college it was more for fun. Then I started training for a marathon and had to have surgery last year. Now I am training for my first half marathon in october... but progressing slowly. :)

Maria {Sister #3030}
"If it does not nourish the soul, get rid of it."
www.thegoodlifegirl.com
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2014 :  3:22:03 PM  Show Profile
Hay ya'll. What an inspiration you two are. My niece runs 8 miles a day, in training for a marathon, she increases to 9 miles this week. I have to get moving so I am going to join you by running/walking the two miles round trip from my house to the front gate of the ranch. I use a fitbit so it helps to motivate me also. My goal is to loose 30 lbs by the end of this year. That way I can start 2015 in a much better place....physically.

I run/walk on dirt and grass. What shoes do you two wear?

Hugs and prayers, Daizy

Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2014 :  7:38:36 PM  Show Profile
Count me in on the cheer squad!! Happy to see your post. I think there are quite few farmgirls on the move and I, too, proudly consider myself one. http://www.raisingjane.org/journal/44731

I am just starting to pick up the pace again after winter and am hoping for a half in October as well. It's a beautiful time of year for a run. So here's to you and running!!!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2014 :  12:55:36 PM  Show Profile
Hay there, Mz Meg. I think that's wonderful!!! I read your post in the journal. I hope to get up to a 5K by Christmas for the Snowman Run, or whatever its called. I am shopping for two pairs of good shoes....mostly for trails and off road runs. Those should do well enough for asphalt also. Any suggestions??

Hugs and prayers, Daizy

Daizy #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2014 :  08:11:38 AM  Show Profile
Daizy,

5K at Christmastime is a great goal! Winter is always the hardest time for me to exercise. I was thinking a Thanksgiving run might be good too. And, because I am really just a beginner runner I have no shoe advice. I know there is a lot to be said about good shoes but I make do with the old pair of Nikes I have, nothing fancy.

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2014 :  04:39:05 AM  Show Profile
Hay ya'll,

I am officially a RUNNER !!! I completed my first practice run for the local 5K. (I ran and walked). I made it to the finish line. My time was a few minutes shy of one hour but they tell me that's good for a first timer. It doesn't matter what my time was because I did the WHOLE course and I am feeling very good about that. I joined the running club and signed up for the event that will be in August. Yipee!!! And I did find 2 good pairs of running shoes from two different makers so I am set up. Happy feet!!!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy

Daizy #1093
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2014 :  10:06:22 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Daizy! I am hoping this thread helps to keep me motivated. I am trying to start being able to run. My son is running cross country this year in school so I am hoping to train with him so I can become a runner! At 44, I plan to get in shape & hope to do a 5K before winter!

Hugs,

Beth
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3105 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3105 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2014 :  1:50:46 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Daizy! Isn't it a wonderful feeling to finish the course! Time doesn't matter to me right now either - it would just depress me to know how slow I am compared to what I used to run. Instead I'm just very happy that I ran 2 miles today with no walking:) I'm hoping for a 3 mile run by the end of the week. I have a goal of running 30 miles the month of June. Last week I missed 2 days of running due to hay making, but I think I'll still be able to make my goal.

Beth-just put one foot in front of the other and you'll be doing it too! I found a free MP3 download called 1st day to 5k that's a run walk program to get you up to a 5k in 8 or 9 weeks. Maybe you should look into something like that?

Keep up the great work everyone!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2014 :  8:25:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Heather, I will check it out!

Beth
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2014 :  06:09:08 AM  Show Profile
Hay ya'll. I am hooked. I down loaded the NIKE+ app to my phone and am keeping up that way. I also still use my fitbit coz it tracks my steps thru the day. Then a friend told me about an app called Couch to 5K that is a walk/run app. So now I have all I need to get this done and get it done right. I use the music thru the 5K app but Nike+ has a section for it also. Keep on trucking!!!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy

Daizy #1093
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2014 :  07:24:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey Running Farmgirls!

About shoes, if you go to an actual running store (not a big box retailer), they have certified shoe people to give you the right fit for your foot and the type of runner you are. (Heel strikers, mid-strike, etc.) It really does make a difference!

My goal is to get running again this summer. I took a year off from running, but have been working out in different ways. My hubby is training for a marathon in the fall, so there's lots of motivation to get going!

Happy training ladies!

Farmgirl Hugs!

~April
River Valley Farmgirls
Chapter Leader

~Playing in the Sonshine~
Go to Top of Page
  Sporty Farmgirls: Previous Topic Any Running Farmgirls? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page