Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 sudden squash seedling death - a mystery!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic sudden squash seedling death - a mystery! Next Topic  

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2014 :  05:33:21 AM  Show Profile
Well, I decided because Spring would be VERY late in coming for us this year (we just had snow on Tuesday and right now it's 35 degrees out!) I would start my squash plants inside. I always start tomatoes, eggplants and peppers from seed indoors, but have no experience with the indoor squash sprouting. However, I read up on how you can start them indoors (even though the preferred method is direct sow).

I followed all guidelines/recommendations and all the seeds sprouted into big, dark green healthy seedlings in no time! I was thrilled.

Then Monday morning I got up early and checked on all my seedlings, then found to my horror that one of the patty pan seedlings was slumped over dead! I was sad, but had no choice but to pitch it. I checked on all the others, which seemed fine. Then this morning I found a zucchini plant and a winter squash plant in the same flat (but not next to where the other one was) also near death, yellowish and slumped over. I have checked the peat and the tray and I see no fungus. The trays have been exclusively indoors, so there are no pests. And, overnight, the trays are kept in areas our cat cannot access (although, even when they are down on tables near the windows for sun during the day she has never shown an ounce of interest in them, so I don't think she is messing with them in any way).

I just can't figure it out. They are all getting lots of sun during the day (just like my trays of tomatoes, peppers and eggplants - which are all thriving away).

These are all bush varieties which clearly stated in their info that they COULD be started indoors, even though that wasn't the usual method.

I don't understand what has gone wrong and want to fix whatever it is before I lose anymore.

Any thoughts? I sure would appreciate any advice!! Thank you!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

"A [wo]man is rich in proportion to the number of things which [s]he can afford to let alone." - Henry David Thoreau

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2014 :  5:03:26 PM  Show Profile
If the stems are shriveled at the soil line, it's damping off disease. The only real fix is to start over,use new potting soil, water just enough to get the seeds sprouting, and put a slow-moving fan on the flat to keep air circulating. Hope that helps.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2014 :  5:39:26 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for the info, Melina! I bet this is what happened! I put a small camping fan by the flat on low to circulate air!!! Thank you again for the advice!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

"A [wo]man is rich in proportion to the number of things which [s]he can afford to let alone." - Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic sudden squash seedling death - a mystery! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page