doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2014 :  12:32:06 PM  Show Profile
Would be interested in anyone's experience with ashwagandha. Looking for herbal remedy for waking up several times a night. Trying to stop prescription meds for anxiety and insomnia. Research says it is good for a host of issues. What did/do you take it for and what were your results? Thanks!

GG

Greendreams
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Lilliane
Surrey BC
Canada
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  4:36:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi GG,

Before using any herb, you need to check for interactions with your prescriptions. Ask your dr, he/she should know. Some herbs enhance, negate, or alter prescription meds so you need to be sure before starting anything.

To effectively treat anxiety & insomnia, you need to find the root cause. These two are just symptoms and most likely only two of others that you have discounted. It's very easy to brush things off as "oh, I've had that for years" or "it's just a minor complaint". Try to take into account everything going on in your body, heart, & mind. For instance, these are two of the most common symptoms for women when their hormones are out of balance. Treating the imbalance stops them, not treating the symptoms.

The first thing you need to look at is your diet. Write down everything you eat for 1 week and any physical/emotional/psychological changes or issues that come up. Review it after 7 dys and see if there are any obvious links between what you're eating and any symptoms occurring within 24-48hrs.

Double-check with your dr if your meds have any side effects or interactions to each other. They don't always think to mention these things.

Ashwagandha is more of a tonic herb and is most often recommended for men (women do use it). Though it might help you feel a little better, it won't necessarily get to the root of the problem.

You can try lemon balm tea 2-3 x dy. (check with your dr first). This is a mild herb that helps soothe the system.

If you have been on meds for a while, it will take time to wean off them. This must be done under supervision (especially with these types). Work out a plan with your dr to slowly get yourself off them. I would suggest working in conjunction with a naturopath to get your system balanced and correct what is causing your difficulties. Always be sure both are up-to-date on any changes you make or feel happening.

Hope this helps,

Lilliane Graie, CH, RA, EOT
If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans. ~James Herriot
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  6:23:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Lilliane,

What a great response! I can tell you have done your homework. I rarely take any of the anti-anxiety med, I went through a very difficult time a few years ago where I was taking one every night, but now it's just the sleeping pill, usually. I have gone to the same doc for about 14 years - she has been through thick and thin with me. Last physical I had her cut the dosage in half because I told her I wanted to get off anything other than natural sleep. So I can take one or two. So I take one and wake up 2 hours later, wide awake for no reason, and take the other. None of the natural sleep meds do anything for me. My mom, my daughter, and my sister all struggle with this. I'm thinking there are probably lots of women who do this and I'm interested in any feedback

It's a good suggestion to see a naturopath. My doctor suggested I try acupuncture and it did absolutely nothing.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me this info.

GG
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2014 :  6:13:32 PM  Show Profile
GG,

I have had several acupuncturists over the years (pain). The first two times that I got acupuncture following an automobile accident, I felt nothing. No results whatsoever. About ten years later, I saw an MD who was my PCP. He also did acupuncture. I could never deny that acupuncture was effective with his treatments. He did a bit more than an hour intake appointment. All kinds of questions,like my favorite season, cravings, everything. There was one time that I left his office and thought, "I shouldn't be driving." Anyway, long story...long, I guess. What I am trying to say is maybe you should give it another shot with someone who approaches the art of acupuncture differently.

mar
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2014 :  7:14:13 PM  Show Profile
Good suggestion, mar. I will do that. Trying hard to get off prescription meds of any kind

GG
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2014 :  07:52:56 AM  Show Profile
I use a product called Cortisol Manager by Integrative Therapeutics. It has a lot of Ashwandagha in it. My Naturopath suggested I use this. Unfortunately it does not work well my itself, I have to also add Ativan to be able to sleep. I have Lyme Disease and Lymies have a terrible time sleeping. Since I start this duo I sleep until at least 5 a.m. I used to wake up between 1-4 a.m. and be up for the day. I hate taking drugs, but sleep is so important for healing.

Edited by - Cozynana on Jul 01 2014 07:54:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2014 :  08:29:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to go a slightly different route, and also suggest keeping some type of food journal and see if there is a trend. I have learned that I cannot have any B vitamin supplements or any caffeine after noon. If I do, I am either constantly waking up, or I wake up and cannot go back to sleep. Sugar later at night has the same effect. If I am going to have ice cream for dessert (such a delicious treat during the summer in these hot hot days!), I need to eat it around 6 or 7. Otherwise, sleep evades me :/

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2014 :  6:18:20 PM  Show Profile
Shannon, that sounds like me. I don't take any vitamins or sugary things after about mid afternoon. Still I only get a good deep sleep once in a while. I have tried to figure out what is different when I do happen to sleep deeply and I just can not find a connection.

Thanks for all the info and tips. We just keep trying.....I don't like pills either, but if its that or not sleep, well, we do what we have to do. Last night I was so tired but it was almost 4 before I went to sleep and was awake about 7:30, exhausted but could not go back to sleep, I've tried everything.

GG
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  04:38:08 AM  Show Profile
I would look into other things in your environment like lights from alarm clocks, TV's, modems, smoke detectors, windows etc. because even that little bit of light can influence your melatonin levels. Watch what you are eating and doing last two hours before bedtime. Eliminate caffeine, or don't drink it after noon. Don't drink alcohol (you probably aren't if you are taking a sleeping pill already) Check the room temperature is not too hot or too cold.

Sorry for the repeat if you already have done all this.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  3:23:40 PM  Show Profile
I've taken ashwagandha as a mild sedative but not on a regular basis so I'm not sure if it helps me sleep better. I read recently that temperature is very important in getting a good night's sleep--most people sleep best with the temp. in the mid 60's. Warmer than that and it can affect quality of sleep.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  4:37:45 PM  Show Profile
I didn't know that, Cindy, thanks! I like mid 60's for night temp, but hubby is too cold, he likes 75, so we compromise at 70 degrees at night and 75 for day.
Maybe we will negotiate that.
I just started taking a blood sugar stabilizer called Blood Glucose Success by Solaray - recommended by my health store owner, and I think that is helping some. When I remember to take it. I know if I drink a glass of wine I will fall asleep quickly, for about 45 minutes, and then wake up and stay awake. So that's a very rare occasion.

We do keep the room dark and no electronics.

I appreciate everyone's input. I wonder how many of us there are who have trouble sleeping.

GG
Go to Top of Page

farmacology girl
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Tamara
Bakersville NC
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2014 :  4:02:58 PM  Show Profile
Ashwagandha is a nice mild sedative. But if anxiety is the issue you may want to try using herbal infusions of oatstraw and nettle. Tons of minerals, calcium and magnesium tops the list. They help with rest. I make a tea and extract called Mind at Peace that I developed for a family member with severe anxiety. I now have several therapist that recommend it for patients wanting to avoid pharmaceuticals. It contains chamomile, lavender, passionflower, and rose. None of the herbs interact with medications.
On another note I will add that I highly recommend finding was to quiet the mind and body. A routine is important for both the body and mind to acknowledge it is calm down time. About a 1 1/2 hours before bedtime try using relaxation techniques or guided meditation. After that turn off the electronics. I then have a cup of mind at peace tea and a relaxing book or religious study is good. Then I put on nature sounds or music to sleep by right before bed time Give something like this a few weeks and you might be surprised at how your body responds. Blessings

Green Blessings
www.farmacologyorganics.com
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  09:19:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks!

Edited by - doll58maker on Jul 09 2014 09:21:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  09:20:19 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Tamara. Great I formation! I am now following you on Facebook.

GG
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Ashwagandha Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page