Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 From Pillowcases to Apron!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic From Pillowcases to Apron! Next Topic  

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  8:01:49 PM  Show Profile
I think I got it...
This is the apron and handtowel I made from two pillowcases I bought at the thrift shop.

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  8:04:20 PM  Show Profile
..and I was worried about the pic being too big...lol
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  8:27:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh I just love the thriftshop sheets and pillow cases. They are 50 cents here. How did you make a handtowel?
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  11:36:04 PM  Show Profile
Diane,
No not to big but pretty, I like the print, would like to know how you made the apron form them. Cristine, I think Diane said she trimmed a towel with the extra material that was left over.
I MUST BECOME MORE HANDY.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  12:29:32 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Nancy is right. I just purchased an inexpensive hand towel and added the trim. I wish the pic was bigger, the pocket is trimmed with the yellow lace.
I just opened the seam on the pillowcase...there was only one, the fabric was folded in half. I could have easily made a bibbed apron from the amount of fabric, I was surprised how much there actually was. I used a purchased pattern that I've had in my pattern stash for years.
You could make one Nancy, it really isn't very difficult and I'll gladly help if you need it.
Diane
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  05:36:06 AM  Show Profile
Diane,
Thankyou, I might take you up on that, I have a lot of pillowcases that I don't use, or have to much fancy work on them to use everyday.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  05:51:50 AM  Show Profile
Diane, that is a wonderful idea! I've made aprons from cafe curtains, but never thought about pillowcases. I just love how this forum continually inspires us! PS have you picked up "The Apron Book" yet?
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  08:16:18 AM  Show Profile
I just got the Apron Book from Amazon the other day!! It is so charming and lovely. I read one chapter the other day while my students were reading in school. They all wanted to see what I was reading and when I showed them the book, they were surprised to see a whole book about aprons. Of course they thought it was corny, but funny too. It is such a feel good little book. Glad I saw the note about it on this website!!

Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  08:43:41 AM  Show Profile
Very pretty and i wish it were bigger too! love those recycled goods!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 7 months!!

http://hansenhootenanny.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lvg4him
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Colorado
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  1:20:38 PM  Show Profile
I would LOVE to know how you did this! What pattern did you use? Is it in the Apron Book someone mentioned here? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  3:41:29 PM  Show Profile
Actually I just got the Apron book not that long ago and haven't had a chance to read very far into it yet. I have to read each and every story, some amazing ladies in there.
I went back to the thrift store today and guess what I found Jennifer?! A really pretty cafe curtain made out of really good quality fabric and brand new. I instantly thought of you!
All I did with the pillowcases was wash them and then open up the seams with a seam ripper. It was folded, so when opened there was a good yard+ of fabric in each pillowcase. I used an old Simplicity pattern that I've had for at least 10 years, but MaryJane's patterns would work just as well, probably better. From one pillowcase I got the main body of the apron, as well as two pockets. From the other I got the waistband, ties and strip of fabric to trim the towel, and there's still plenty of fabric left over.
Di
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic From Pillowcases to Apron! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page