Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Hey knitters- Next Topic  

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  06:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
Anyone want to do a needle exchange?

Seems like I am always needing different size needles or different kind of needles.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  07:12:54 AM  Show Profile
THAT is an excellent idea!! I would be interested.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  07:21:23 AM  Show Profile
I'm in...I have a slew of aluminum needles I don't use any more after I got spoiled on bamboo.
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  07:27:43 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
Great! Maybe we should list what we have and what we want. I'll post later today what inventory I have and what I am looking for.

Any other ideas?
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  1:06:47 PM  Show Profile
Maybe add crochet hooks too? I have duplicates of almost every size, which I'd be willing to give away.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  1:25:10 PM  Show Profile
Great idea. Oh I want to be a part of this too, but I'm not going to be back online until early next week as I have a convention to go to.

I have some straight needles that need to go, wood, aluminum, plastic, all sizes. I am after double pointed needles to replace some.
I will check back in when I get back.

Jami

The shepherd always tries to persuade the sheep that their interests and his own are the same--and a good border collie doesn't hurt!
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  2:27:50 PM  Show Profile
Ok, here's what I have for trade:

Straight needles, all pairs are aluminum: size 1 (14"), 5 (14"), 6 (14"), 8 (10"), 10 (two pair 10", two pair 14"), 11, (14"), and 13 (14").

Double-pointed bamboo needles, all are in sets of 5, and 7" long: sizes 6, 7, and 8

Aluminum crochet hooks: F (2), G (3), H (3), I (2), J (1), and K (1)

I'd like to trade these for bamboo/wood straight knitting needles in size 4, 9, or 13; or any size bamboo/wood circular knitting needles. I'd be willing to trade my aluminums 2-to-1 since the bamboo ones cost more.

LynnMarie, since this just posted & Jami is offline for awhile, what type of deadline are we looking at?
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  06:29:54 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
JenniferJuniper,
Great start to the list! My night disappeared and I didn't get back on the net. LOL I agree with your idea of adding crochet hooks. How does everyone else feel? Does this topic need to be relisted under needle/hook exchange to attract people?

Does everyone think this could be an on-going list? We would just need to update it when someone swapped. That way newcomers could get in on it too as well as whenever someone has a new project, they could list what they are needing.
Maybe the trader could send a little note, or cute made up story, about the needles (or giver), or at least the last project they made (or wanted to make).

Ok gals, put your ideas in the hat. ( ] ; ' )

So here is my first list: (I have lots to go through)

TO TRADE:
Plastic - #8 and #9-yellow; #10-white (will trade 2 for 1)
Metal - #6-silver; #7-pink; #9-blue; #10 1/2-silver; #15-gold (will trade 2 for 1)
All are 14 inch

I WANT: Circular needles, any size, any length.
#5 double pointed needles
Anything but metal (I HATE METAL!)
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  5:50:28 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, I have only used aluminum needles. Why do you like the bamboo better? I would think the aluminum would slide yarn better? no?
LauraH
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  7:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Bamboo just feels better, kind of like the difference between drinking coffee from a paper cup vs. a china cup - the end result is the same, the difference is all tactile. The bamboo needles are sanded and polished smooth, & actually smooth even more with use, and they don't make that clicking sound. Plus, I sometimes would get a weird metallic smell on my hands from the metal ones. I picked up my first pair of bamboo out of necessity (Michael's only had bamboo in the size I needed) and fell in love with them, & that pretty much ruined me for anything else.

Unfortunately, they cost more. I picked up most of mine buying lots on eBay. The only time I prefer aluminum is for tiny size needles (0-3) so I don't have to worry about breaking.

Edited by - JenniferJuniper on Nov 03 2006 7:31:10 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Hey knitters- Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page