Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 I'm doing The Summer of No Pants- who's with me?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic I'm doing The Summer of No Pants- who's with me?! Next Topic
Page: of 2

BoldTurquoise
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

MacKenzie
WA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2014 :  8:50:38 PM  Show Profile
So, there is this blog that hosts something called The Summer of No Pants, which is basically a challenge to make a bunch of skirts and/or dresses during the spring so that you have enough to ONLY wear skirts or dresses for the duration of the summer.

Since I generally wear skirts most of the time in the summer anyway, and I have been trying to sew more as of late, I thought this would be a fun challenge to take on for myself and my little girl! I'm planning to post what I accomplish on my Instagram account (boldturquoise) as well as on my blog, but I thought it would be fun to see if any of you ladies would be interested in getingt in on the challenge as well!

I have been pinning ideas like crazy on my Handmade Wardrobe Pinterest board- http://Pinterest.com/boldturquoise but would love to hear your ideas and resources as well!

Oh, and you can read about the challenge here: http://www.hideousdreadfulstinky.com/p/summer-of-no-pants_24.html

Mama to 3 (so far). Homemaker. Homeschooler. Blogger. Doula.
A suburban girl tackling a country life! Be bold and gracious! http://boldturquoise.com

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2014 :  9:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Hey there, MacKenzie! Welcome to MJF! :)

Here's a link to our "Wearing Dresses" post that I think you really might enjoy: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=62357

I wear mostly dresses (and occasionally skirts) every day. I'd really like to take the challenge with you, but there are just times when I want to wear capris or jeans... For example, I do wear skirts when I'm in the garden, but we've got some seriously nasty spiders out there... For that, I'll take jeans or denim capris any day! LOL! I'll try my best to meet the challenge, but those spiders are making me hesitate to really commit! LOL!

I am really looking forward to your future posts, though.. I bet you and the farmgirls will come up some wonderful dress and skirt designs and resources! :) Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2014 :  9:13:42 PM  Show Profile
Skirts are definitely cooler in the summer. When I was in high school, we HAD to wear a dress or skirt to school. No pants allowed. That was in the late 60s, early 70s in Utah. I even backpack in a skirt. Great summer challenge!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2014 :  9:41:44 PM  Show Profile
I basically wear them all summer/spring! :)

I really want to get enough WARM skirts sewn to do this through the winter too!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  03:48:03 AM  Show Profile
Pretty much all I wear, with the exception being shorts for the garden.
And just like Mary Janes said I grew up late 60's early 70's and we HAD to wear dresses/skirts to school, even in the cold New England winter. We were allowed to wear pants underneath to walk to school, but had to take them off as soon as we got there.

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  05:54:01 AM  Show Profile
OK, I am joining the other vintage Farmgirls who grew up (1950s-1960s) when girls never wore pants to school or church. The only time we wore pants was in the summer months when shorts were perfectly acceptable for wearing at home. In the winter, I remember having wool knee socks in every color to wear with wool skirts. Hey girls, remember when pettipants came out in the 1960s? They were so perfect for keeping you warmer than slips and of course we all loved the lace and the fact that they came in lots of colors like pink, blue, yellow and mint green!

Nini and Teri, I am with you in that yard and garden work needs protection from pesky insects. I have been wearing dress pants or nursing scrubs for so many years that I have gotten use to wearing them more than skirts. Now that I am retired, I am trying to enjoy the freedom of skirts more and they are definitely cooler down here in the Florida heat!

Winnie#3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  06:07:25 AM  Show Profile
Ummmmm I feel kinda out of place, because I did not grow up during that time frame, but I will stay take the challenge :) I was born in 79, yet ironically m mom made me wear skirts or dresses everyday to school, unless it was a gym day, through elementary school. Anyways, I find it much cooler here in the south to wear skirts or dresses, and quite honestly I feel more feminine when I do so, as well. I guess I should get sewing :) I have been longing to do so anyways!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  06:54:22 AM  Show Profile
Winnie,
ha ha ha, I do remember those pettipants! I even remember in jr. high, when the maxi dresses and skirts came out and then the mini skirt, which by todays standards it would be considered knee length. And Barbie, NEVER wore pants LOL!

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5078 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5078 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  07:46:46 AM  Show Profile
I grew up in the late 60's and 70's. if it was really cold in Winter we could wear pants under our dresses to school, because most of us walked everyday, but we had to take them off when we got into the building! We were finally allowed to wear pants to High school in 1971, but it had to be a pant suit, NO JEANS! that came about in 1974. and Girls never looked like girls again! LOL! Back then, my granny wore her Hat and Gloves to the grocery store every week! I wore mine only to church and something special.

I loved the Maxi dresses!! NO PANTY HOSE! back then a Girl would never go out in a dress bare legged! We spent a small fortune on Panty hose for school and church! I wore a maxi dress to my 35th high school reunion and so did a lot of the girls! I am loving that our Dept. stores here have tons of dresses now! Like so many of you, I already do wear dresses and skirts a lot already. I love this!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  07:58:07 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I too am from Mary Janes era, I wear skirts or dresses, I wear mens boxes so my thighs don't touch in the summer, and sometimes tie my skirt up on one side so they don't get in the way if there is some kind of project I am doing so they don't get in the way or torn!! In the winter if you wear two or three petti coats under your skirts they are really very warm. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  09:02:22 AM  Show Profile
I'm in. My DH buys me a dress from the coop every year if there is a nice one and he likes me to wear them. He has strong opinions about how everyone should dress. He always dresses well - no t-shirts or jeans. I just bought this pattern intending to make really nice wool skirts for winter.

The cape and muff are attractive too. This pattern has been discontinued so I don't know how difficult it will be to find. I live in an area with a large Somali community. I found two of the shifts they wear by the trash with minimal damage which I will restyle into tank dresses. This will be fun.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

BoldTurquoise
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

MacKenzie
WA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  09:10:03 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, don't feel out of place- I'm younger than YOU!

I was never made to wear skirts growing up except as costumes or for special occasions. A few years ago though I had a period of time where the community of people we were often around wore skirts to the point where I kind of felt like I HAD to, but then I realized that I actually really enjoyed wearing them! I feel like more of a homemaker when I do- kind of like my clothes inspire me to be better! It's silly, but true!

I hear you all about the gardening issue- I'm a little torn on that one as well. For now I am planning on wearing my yoga skirts for that and we'll just see how it goes!

Mama to 3 (so far). Homemaker. Homeschooler. Blogger. Doula.
A suburban girl tackling a country life! Be bold and gracious! http://boldturquoise.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  1:19:51 PM  Show Profile
MacKenzie - I hear you on feeling more like a homemaker and them inspiring you to be better! I don't know where everyone stands on this topic, so please understand I am not trying to walk on anyone's toes!... When I wear a skirt, it reminds me that I am the woman... the helpmate... I am generally more apt to try to please my husband and fulfill his and the kids' needs when I am in a skirt, rather than looking out for my own interests. That is one reason I started wearing them more - my hubby had been deployed, so when he came home I needed to "hand the reins" back to him - dressing in skirts helped remind me "of my place."

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  7:30:19 PM  Show Profile
Shannon do NOT feel out of place. I am only a few years older then you. And I remember K... my mom had bought me school clothes ALL skirts/dresses! And after a week or two the teacher told her to send me in shorts because she didn't like the little girls in skirts.... my mom said she had thought it was rules that girls wear skirts! So after that I went in shorts, but once I got old enough to make my own choices I was back in skirts again! I like wearing skirts!

I too feel it makes me feel like a female, and I LIKE being a female!

My husband too has his own ideas-he does NOT enforce them for me... does enforce them on our children though (which is understandable, but then again I have never butted heads with him on those standards cause I agree with them! lol But, I do think he would not back down if I said something different, and it's because he wants our children to be respected for who they are, not how skimpy they are dressed! And he holds himself up to the same code of standards as well!) For me, he has opinions but always lets me chose how I want to dress... and never puts me down etc...BUT, because I know from what he has said respectfully to me of what he likes... I try to comply because I love him, and like to look good in his eyes, and it's not that hard! lol haha Funny enough he used to say you look like a school marm in that... and at first I thought it was a insult... and one day I was a little irked and finally just said, ok so you don't like it when you see women wearing XYZ yet when I wear this you say it's school marm... can you just tell me what it is you would like to see me in... cause I'm confused! He looked at me and smiled, and said... who said I didn't like a school marm? lol haha We both had to laugh! lol He said he likes a School Marm, so it wasn't a insult! lol haha

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  7:42:47 PM  Show Profile
I thought when I first read this it was to garden in your undies.

That would be fun
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2014 :  05:40:10 AM  Show Profile
Diana,
I had a friend who's mom did exactly that. If she got hot in the garden she would be down there in only her panties and bra. Of course, the yard was very protected and she could not be seen from the road.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2014 :  08:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
I am in also. I love dresses and for a time back in the 80's that is all I wore. Today, I wear pants more than I like, especially here in Florida. I have been looking though my patterns and since I am taking the summer off from school this will be a great chance for me to make those dresses and skirts and start wearing them. Can't wait.
Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2014 :  07:51:35 AM  Show Profile
well I love this !!! I had a breast cancer scare (3 biops in 3 years but no cancer!) and the last time round I was feeling pretty low - so I decided that I would only wear skirts/dresses to remind myself of what truly made me feminine - and have never gone back! I live in Ohio and just wear tights/boots in the winter. It works just fine. The only time I am in jeans is when I am on the motorcycle - period! I have found that I can do everything else just fine in a skirt/dress. I really do love it - and yes I will continue wearing them - so you can count me in :) still !
Tammyb
sisterchick #541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2014 :  2:51:51 PM  Show Profile
I asked a young lady in the 2nd grade classes I help, if she liked it when I wear my skirts. She said yes she did. She always wears the cutest clothes. Her mom told me that she picks them out for herself and sometimes for her. I was/am wearing jeans, turtleneck and plaid flannel shirt. I asked her to tell me truthfully if I could dress better. She said yes. Two boys nearby told me exactly which skirt they like the best on me. Well, I guess I have been told. I want to make myself some long wool skirts for the winter and maybe have flannel petticoats underneath.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  6:51:55 PM  Show Profile
I'm hoping to wear more skirts and dresses. I have always loved them. My mom told me she had to fight with me to get me to wear pants when I was little. Guess, I haven't changed through the years. We always had to wear skirts or dresses to school and church. It was just the way it was in the late 50's through the 60's. At our school the year after I graduated, my sister and other girls at the school had a quiet sit-in to get the dress code changed to include pants for the girls. It worked and they got to wear slacks. No jeans, but at least they didn't have to freeze in the winter. We could wear mini skirts, but not the long skirts. That made a lot of sense didn't it. I don't know if I will be able to keep the challenge, but I sure will try.

Hugs, Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  7:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Marie I want flannel petticoats too, what I have decided is they need to flannel on the skin side and tricot on the side that touches your outer clothing so they don't cling!

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  8:59:48 PM  Show Profile
Good idea Heather. I hadn't thought of that. In that case, I would probably make them using flannel backed satin. I have been wearing skirts since last week. The skirts I have a nicer for when I used to work. They also do not fit me very well. I want to try to find some more informal skirts and dresses second hand. I did go to a Salvation Army and saw how poor the selection was. The clothing was cheaper than Saver's and took longer to find the right size. I could not find anything that fit me. <sigh> I really dislike my largeness. I am planning on making myself some dresses and skirts in the future.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2014 :  5:36:04 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea, but when I looked in my closet I discovered I really do not own many skirts, I have two or three for summer, and only 2 pair of jeans. Made me look to see what have I been wearing, looks like its my work clothes. (scrubs) I think this is a challenge I need to work up to. As in find some skirts, or a pattern to make some. I agree that wearing skirts does make me feel more like a lady. I like my hats also, makes my family smile. As for petticoats ( summer or fall ) that would be a must for fall and winter as I am cold all of the time. Any ideas on patterns? I wonder what is the skirt length now? I do not like short skirts on myself and prefer something that is longer.

Thanks for the challenge.

Danyel
farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2014 :  9:28:50 PM  Show Profile
I have a pattern for a knitted petticoat which I want to try.

The pattern is in Knitting Traditions, Winter 2012, page 22 - 26. I will have to learn the enclosed hem technique and this may take me a great deal of time to make. LOL

In the meantime, I bought a petticoat at a vintage store which I wear under my calf length skirt. It has a ruffle on the bottom that is lace on the outside and tulle on the inside so it poofs out the skirt nicely. I will use this for a pattern. I have seen many patterns for petticoats in the costume section of catalog books.

As for hemlines, I don't pay attention. I just wear the length I want. To find the correct length for your proportion, divide the length from your shoulder to the ground or your waist to the ground by the Golden Ratio (1.618). I was astonded by how well the skirt I cut to this length looked when I put it on. You can do this for sleeve lengths also.

Marie, Sister #5142

Edited by - churunga on Mar 28 2014 9:41:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2014 :  11:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
LOL!!!! Diana!!!

This sounds fun! I wear a lot of skirts, anyway, and was wanting to make more! I am such a girly person (that likes to get dirty, too ;) )

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl.wordpress.com

www.simplyaroma.com/aliciawinkler 100% certified therapeutic grade essential oils
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2014 :  11:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
MacKenzie, I can see I am going to have fun working through your board!!!!! :D

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl.wordpress.com

www.simplyaroma.com/aliciawinkler 100% certified therapeutic grade essential oils
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic I'm doing The Summer of No Pants- who's with me?! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page