Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Dryer lint & dental floss for birds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dryer lint & dental floss for birds Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  8:53:15 PM  Show Profile
I know that sounds strange, but it's spring and birds are building their nests. They like to line the nest with dryer lint and they use string to wrap around the nest and help hold it together. So instead of throwing away your used dryer lint and dental floss, set it outside where the birds can find it. You might even roll the lint into a ball and wrap the floss around it--little ornaments for the birds to carry off!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  05:20:59 AM  Show Profile
I would worry about dental floss getting wrapped around their legs. I know its waxed but the wax would make it too hard for them to break if it did get wrapped. I've seen birds use pieces of tarps. also set out your hair from your shower or cleaning your brush/comb.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  07:59:45 AM  Show Profile
scraps of yarn and ribbon they also use, and as a bonus, it makes colorful nests...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  8:29:49 PM  Show Profile
I keep a small plastic jar on my end table for all the yarn clippings and small leftover pieces when I crochet. I save one or two of those net onion bags, put my scraps in, run a string around the open end and hang it on my clothesline post. It makes me smile to see the birds use the scraps and occasionally I find an abandoned nest with colorful threads woven in it.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2014 :  03:35:27 AM  Show Profile
Last year I had put lint and ribbon in one of those suet feeders and hung it from my dogwood tree. I will never forget the look on my brother-in-law's face when he walked by and was like "WHAT is THAT??!!"
Oh, that's just me, helping the little birdies!

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348
Little Henhouse on the Island

http://www.SweetLambHeritage.etsy.com

Keep reading. Keep learning. Keep loving. Keep giving. Keep smiling. Keep listening. Keep forgiving. Keep praying

Edited by - TeresaJ25 on Mar 18 2014 03:37:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2014 :  03:36:00 AM  Show Profile

Oops, hit the wrong button!

Edited by - TeresaJ25 on Mar 18 2014 03:37:24 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dryer lint & dental floss for birds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page