Lyndell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Leah
Richwood Ohio
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  09:11:09 AM  Show Profile
Sitting here procrastinating picking up the phone to make a dental appointment - who else has dealt with dental anxiety?

I NEVER used to mind going to the dentist, but I went through a period of several years when I didn't have insurance or money to pay for dental work. Now I finally DO have insurance, but it's been so long since I've even had a cleaning (and I know I have a few problem teeth) that I'm TERRIFIED of going.

To make matters worse, I went to a dentist several years ago who told me I needed 10 fillings and a root canal, and probably more work on top of that. Long story short, I went to my old dentist for a second opinion and came to find out that the claims were bunk - I needed exactly ONE filling. I've since moved away and am now having to pick a dentist more or less at random to try - I've got one in mind, but if she tells me I need to have all my teeth out I won't know who to go to for a second opinion. Blergh!

I know I'm not the only one to suffer from dental anxiety and poor teeth (I think it's genetic - I take really good care of my teeth and keep them super clean but still have issues).

I think the worst thing is worrying that she'll try to make me feel guilty - definitely don't need that, as I already feel guilty enough!

Anyone else have this problem, and what helps you cope?

http://foxgloveandfolksongs.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sister #4236

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  11:03:49 AM  Show Profile
Find a person where you live and if they have nice teeth ask them where they go. Most dentist will consult at no cost. I have walked in an office and didn't like the vibe and walked out.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  1:54:18 PM  Show Profile
Leah,

I work in a dental office. We deal with people that have dental anxiety all the time. It is a real and true thing. Ask around to friends and find out who they like for a dentist. I worked for a dentist who did the huge marketing and hard-sell to patients for crowns, filling and root canals. If a dentist starts by wanting to put together a treatment plan for you....you need to run. I now work for a down-to-earth hometown honest dentist, who takes care of patients and staff.

Most honest dentist will want you to come in for a cleaning and check-up, get some xrays to see what is going on. But they should be willing to work within you insurance benefits and not try to 'sell' you a treatment plan. An honest dentist will tell you what should be done ASAP and what can truly wait until next insurance year. And no dentist should ever tell you to have ALL your teeth taken out.

You will be able to tell what kind of office you are entering when you call, the staff should be helpful and willing to work with you benefits. They should not make you feel uneasy or afraid. They should understand your fears and anxiety.

I always tell patients that come into the office that being able to get dental work is a luxury. Try to enjoy the fact that you have benefits that cover some of the cost. I also work in a free clinic that deals with no-insurance working people that just need dental help.

Good luck.
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Lyndell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Leah
Richwood Ohio
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  3:09:53 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the replies! I did make an appointment today for later on in the week. It took a fair bit of sitting around before I got up the courage to call, but I did it. Probably the hardest part for me!

I found a local dentist that has gotten some good reviews and supposedly has a really friendly staff. I'm going to try her first and if it doesn't work out then back to square one. They had me fill out new patient forms online, and I was able to write down some of my anxieties (which is a good thing - I'm often able to express myself better in writing than in immediate conversation). Going to be very nervous going in, but I'm glad that I finally have an appointment.

Arttie - It's always nice to hear from people who work in dental offices. I was actually listening to the radio recently and heard a brief story about how on the whole dentists are much more sensitive about anxieties than they have been in the past. I just recently got insurance, so I'm still in my waiting period for any restorative work -- I will definitely be cautious of anyone trying to "sell" me a treatment plan. And I was kidding about having to have ALL my teeth out - I know that won't happen! Thank you for the reassurance, though, it means a lot!

http://foxgloveandfolksongs.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sister #4236
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  5:30:50 PM  Show Profile
I was in the same boat as you Leah. No insurance for years. Family history of problem teeth. Procrastination. When I got medical assistance, I went to one of the two clinics who would take new patients and was told kindly and matter-of-factly what I needed. They allowed me to make my own decisions on my treatment plan. I decided to get the broken teeth pulled first. I was kind of freaking out so the receptionist came in and held my hand. I was so surprised and comforted by that. I may one appointment a month and got all the work done that I absolutely needed. I did not want to get a bridge so I didn't. I did have to pay $1100 for a crown but it was so worth it because one of my front teeth had broken off and I looked like a snaggle-toothed cat. I am so happy that I had this done.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2014 :  03:34:32 AM  Show Profile
I suffer from dental anxiety. It's amazing the amount of pain I will tolerate instead of making a phone call and getting it taken care of! My husband said the pain of the cavity is far worse than the pain of the dental work! Doesn't matter… I just can't do it! Even calling yesterday to make appointments for me kids had my heart racing and my hands shaking! TYPING about it freaks me out!!

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348
Little Henhouse on the Island

http://www.SweetLambHeritage.etsy.com

Keep reading. Keep learning. Keep loving. Keep giving. Keep smiling. Keep listening. Keep forgiving. Keep praying
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2014 :  09:39:53 AM  Show Profile
Leah,
Right there with you! Didn't have ins but even when I did? Dentists terrify me so that I wouldn't go!
Have had some not nice experiences.

Where I live now, my family found a great dental practice.
He and his staff are so incredibly kind! His nurse holds your hand, he is gentle and kind!
Still getting dental work done, lots of extractions (my fault!)

Dental care today is soooo much better than years ago!
I'm no longer scared and so very thankful for at long last the right dentist :)

Just be assured and encouraged that when you find that right one.......it will be ok for you :)

Blessings,
Linda

http://grannysbirds.blogspot.com/
Country at Heart
'For I know the plans I have for you......'
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Dental Anxiety Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page