Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Anyone have peacocks? Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2014 :  7:28:15 PM  Show Profile
I have always been fascinated my peacocks. My friend is getting a pair soon. She has promised me a pair after she get some babies. She is gifted in raising about anything you can imagine. I have always loved the exotic sound they make. It sounds like the jungle. I want to get babies so I can do the imprinting thing with them. I have chickens and hoping they will feel right at home with them too. The dogs and I had a talk and now the chickens are safe to roam the farm. I am hoping I can have the same luck with the peacocks. So interesting, our two dogs have always understood what is and isn't welcome in our farm yard. It is almost like they are part human. They are Golden Retriever and Catahoula crosses. One is pure black and the other is spotted with grey, brown, and black. They are sisters. Went for one puppy and came home with two. Best thing I ever did. They are two peas in a pod. I think it will be easier to add to our animal herd because they are getting older and not as feisty as they once were. Anyone have advice about getting peacocks? My neighbor had them and thought they were very easy to have around.

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2014 :  8:05:39 PM  Show Profile
I raised them... they are pretty easy to raise. Especially with Chickens. Not so much with ducks though... baby peacocks will try to go swimming with baby ducks and drown.

They eat just about anything (love watermelon rinds!) and they are pretty easy (as easy as chickens) to raise. The daddy helps a lot with babies! They can get hot in their roost so make sure there is plenty of air flow if you live in a hot summer climate.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  04:13:45 AM  Show Profile
Heather, should I look for a specific kind of peacock? Of course I want ones that are very colorful. I assume the hen is plain looking and the male is the colorful one.
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  4:38:57 PM  Show Profile
I'm like you Kem, in wanting information on peacocks. I got a couple last year when they were just a week old, the guy raises them and he sent home a week old chick with them also, he said that baby peachicks don't know how to scratch around for food with no mother showing them, that is where the chick comes in, they learn from it.
I got lucky and I have a pair, my male is white and the female is blue. He also said the don't mature until they are 2 years of age. Mine were raised with a chicken, but I have noticed lately the male is trying to be boss. I read where they sometimes don't get along with chickens, so I guess I will wait and see.
I'm still learning so I hope you get a lot of response so I can learn even more. Karla
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  6:47:56 PM  Show Profile
We just had peacocks, because a friend of ours did estate sales, and one of them had peacocks that didn't sell...he brought them to us! lol haha I don't know the breed at all. But, yes the boys were colorful and girls more plain. They were very very fun to raise though...our main problem was neighbors stealing them, and letting them out of our yard, etc...

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  10:43:36 PM  Show Profile
Here's what I know. Peafowl can be quite
noisy. They do not breed until their third year. The peacock does not get his colors until his third year. Their poop is different than chicken poop...its very gooey! and messy (wait for it to dry before removing). They like dogfood. They like sitting on my (or anyone's) car! Ihave had to tell visitors to park ttheir car farther away. Peafowl have tender feet and legs..cannot hold them by their feet like you would a chicken. They are also very susceptible to a disease called blackhead (chickens can get it too but are more resistant to it, but they can be carriers so its best not to house them together at least til the babies are 3 months old). You should read up and treat for the disease as a prevention. That's about all I know.

Edited by - OregonGal on Mar 13 2014 10:46:21 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Anyone have peacocks? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page