Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  6:59:25 PM  Show Profile
I just placed some bids on EBAY, YIKES!! One was for FORTY, YES FORTY, Ladies vintage hankies. One was for seventy, yes seventy children's books. The last was for a new Mary Engelbreit sewing basket. Well only one of these. oh I forgot to write the current bid. The hankies were around four dollars, the books were one dollar and the basket was around four. They are all in the bidding process for about a week, so I will probably get out bid, because I won't go any higher. But we shall see. I really shouldn't drink coffee after dinner it costs me to much money. I also ordered two used books from Amazon.I'am going to try very hard now to step away from the computer
NANCY JO

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  7:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Your funny with coffee. That is amuzing I hear people have drinking problem never assumed coffee that is a new one.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
my web stores www.sunshines.etsy.com and http://vintagethreads.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  7:24:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nancy, I have to MAKE myself not look at ebay or I always see something I love. I am bidding on lots of stuff at the moment, mainly china (can't resist a trio!) and some Tasha Tudor books (I keep missing out on these as my highest bid is just too low!)
Good luck with your bids, and keep away from that coffee!!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  7:37:31 PM  Show Profile
I too have discovered the fun of bidding on ebay. I've been good so far and have only one bid going...on some ylang ylang seed. I can see that ebay could be a very baaaad thing come spring!
Di - seed addict
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  7:40:58 PM  Show Profile
I am just as bad about ebay. I have been staring at 1500 plus vintage aprons! I actually bought 2. But one was 99cents, and the other I think will be a gift. I am really bad about ebay, and the thrift store. I got 20 from DH today, and I always have to go in there with limited cash or I will go ballistic.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  8:05:16 PM  Show Profile
One hint about ebay that I have learned is to WAIT to bid. Once you make a bid it just prompts other people to bid and bid higher! I usually wait til an item is in it's last few hours to place a bid. I have had much more success that way!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  10:33:18 PM  Show Profile
I always bid what I want to spend and then hope for the best. I add items to my watch list but never remember to go back and check at the last minute. I definitely get in trouble if I go to eBay too much. I can always find things to buy -- fabric, patterns, soap supplies, you name it!

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  11:16:14 PM  Show Profile
they certainly have some areas on there that can be addictive..I love the hankies too , and of course looking at anything antique like.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  01:39:43 AM  Show Profile
I love Ebay, too. I find it is a good place to get an idea of the value of things if you are selling stuff at a garage sale or collecting things. Right now I am bidding on a laundry basket and some tablecloths. Got 2 aprons last month. I have been outbid in the last few seconds by a person with a faster computer than mine! But I always figure if I don't get it I was not supposed to have it.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  04:20:49 AM  Show Profile
I'm an ebay addict. Now when I think of something I want, like a particular book, I'll look there first, then amazon. Right now, I buy lots and lots of doll patterns, some doll clothes patterns (dd has a fake American Girl that needs clothing!). I've bought aprons, apron patterns, transfers, embroidery books and tiny, tiny bisque baby dolls.

Ebay is a bad, bad place.

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  04:41:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes girls...I hear your pain! Hehe! I've bought fabric,books,games...it is fun!

Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  06:01:02 AM  Show Profile
I try to stay away from ebay as a buyer, but I'm looking into the best way to sell books online (ebay v. amazon, alibris, etc.)

So, Nancy, I'm wondering...what's the rational behind buying (or selling, for that matter) a lot of 70 children's books? Do you know that there are several titles in there that you want? Or are you just looking to fill a space on a shelf?

Don't mean to be nosy, I just want to understand the ebay mindset. Many of my books are children's books, so I'm looking for the best way to sell them.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  07:23:50 AM  Show Profile
Amie,
There is usually not rhyme or reason for most things I buy.In this case, seventy books for one dollar seemed to good to pass up, I have four young Grand daughters, so even if 10 of the books are something I would want its a good deal. The rest I can give to my local library. I buy books 99% of the time on amazon and alibris, used and new, those two places are where I always go first. Ebay is something I play around with , apparently when I have had to much coffee. Plus if I really want something I can't be sure I will get it on EBAY. Its just a fun thing to do once in a while and there is so much to see.
What kind of children's books are you looking to sell? old or new? Our Kathy of ENCHANTED WOODS whom I haven't seen on site for awhile sells books on ALIBRIS. You could look her up under members at the top of the page and E'MAIL her.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  07:27:54 AM  Show Profile
Okay girls... I just started my ebay shopping today. I got a pattern for a "games in the car" cloth book for $1.04. (I've been collecting those cloth book patterns, activity book patterns on ebay too.)

Also- I forgot to mention that I bought vintage postcards of Rainier and the Olympic Peninsula this week. Those are going to become framed presents for my Husband Dear, since that's where we vacationed this summer for our 10th anniversary.

Amie- sometimes I look for a grouping of something because it's cheaper than buying just the one thing. I have bought aprons in lots, patterns in lots, and a couple of dolls in lots. I think that the seller is trying to get rid of stuff quicker if it's in lots (sometimes I notice that they've previously listed the things separately, and they haven't sold.)

I'd LOVE 70 children's books. I could tear them apart for framed pictures if they are in bad condition. Also, they could be used for altered books (both the actual book and the separate pages, pictures, words, whatever).

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  1:04:28 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, thanks for the explanation. I remember Kathy's post about ways to make a stay-at-home living, that's actually what got me started thinking about selling books rather than just bringing home more and more (plus I'm out of shelves).

Kim, I have bought books thinking that I can cut them up for projects. But somehow I never can bring myself to do it. I end up photocopying the parts I need and the book stays around. Destroying a book is just a bridge too far. Isn't that funny?
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  2:21:44 PM  Show Profile
You inspired me Nancy, I bought some hankies, and have bids on a towel set and an apron!
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  2:27:02 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie,
Let me know what happens, if you win the bid and what the hankies look like when you get them.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  2:34:25 PM  Show Profile
I will Nancy. It wasn't a big lot but enough to start with. I would like to incorporate them into a quilt.

Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  3:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh.,Yes I love ebay too! I sell items & buy items. I also have a paypal account so I usually leave the balance there after I sell stuff & just use that for my purchases..I agree with Willowtreecreek always bid last minute. Ebay will even email you when an item that you are watching is about to end..
LauraH
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  9:17:54 PM  Show Profile
I usually only look for hard to find items or art supplies. Buy-it-now is my favorite. If I REALLY want an item I can get really crazy as the auction comes to a close! LOL
Nancy...40! hankies. Pray tell, what shall you do with them!?
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  11:11:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rhonda,
Cold and flu season is comming up.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  04:45:22 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, these are the hankies I bought on ebay. I think they'll look cute in a quilt!
Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  05:30:24 AM  Show Profile
BONNIE,
Those are pretty, How do you put them into a quilt? do you sew them onto the square or are they the square?
So far my bid is still good on the hankies, so we shall see if I get mine.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  05:41:54 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo,
I have seen it done both ways. If the material of the hankie is dense enough, it is the square; and if the are more sheer you can applique them. I also have patterns to make a mantle scarf or table runners.
Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  10:18:30 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nancy Gartenman

Hi Rhonda,
Cold and flu season is comming up.
NANCY JO

Hahaha Nancy! Good answer!
Bonnie your hankies are so sweet & pretty! I think we should revive the habit of carrying a pretty hankie just like we did the wearing of an apron!

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  4:14:53 PM  Show Profile
That's a good idea, Rhonda. We could wear white gloves and pretty hats too! Gosh, I wouldn't know how to dress myself!
I bought a pretty blue toile (one of my fave prints) today in anticipation of my hankies. The creative juices are a-flowin'!
Bonnie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic I placed some bids on ebay Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page