True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2014 :  7:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Hey Girls!

That wonderful time of the year is nearing...such a wonderful season is Spring!!!so many fun things to do and so much to do to get started preparing for the rest of the yearcelebrating the Spring holidays...gardening...tending and planting beautiful flowers...enjoying the sights and sounds of the great outdoors...baby birds...baby animals...sunshine...rain showers and the wonderful scent of newness of life...celebrating the Resurrection of our Wonderful Savior Jesus Christ...and those special ladies in our life at Mother's Day...

I would love for everyone to share in this post...ideas...memories...recipes...gardening tips...and lots of pictures!!!

So let the fun begin!!!

Hugs!

Judy

THERE IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013

Edited by - wildflower17 on Feb 24 2014 6:18:40 PM

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2014 :  05:12:40 AM  Show Profile
Judy, this is a great idea and thank-you!! We all are going to enjoy thinking and sharing about Spring because Winter had definitely worn out it's welcome this year!! What a year it has been!!

Connie? Let the photo roll begin, Girl! You always find the cutest things!! Here is my start for sharing. I love, love daffodils! They don't grow down here in Florida but I grew up with them in Virginia and they will always be the memory I have that Spring is finally here!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2014 :  06:12:44 AM  Show Profile
Winnie...I was looking back over the Holiday Virtual Gathering and came up with this idea...honestly with you and Ms. Connie in mind :):):)because of all the posts and pictures you all did...it was so much fun...and I know how we all love Spring...how ready we are for it to get here and all the wonderful things we can do this time of year...thanks so much for your post...I look so forward to reading many more posts from you and the other farm girls...I'm already decorating for St. Patty's Day and have had a few Spring things out now for a few weeks:):):)

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440

Edited by - wildflower17 on Feb 23 2014 06:14:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5154 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5154 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2014 :  3:36:11 PM  Show Profile
C'MON SPRING! WE MISS YOU!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  05:24:12 AM  Show Profile
Love that sweet bouquet of flowers, Connie! the past 3 days we have had some powerful thunder and rain storms down here! Spring craziness for sure! The Redbud trees and wild plums are all in bloom everywhere and our azaleas are all opening up in the yard. What we really need is for the Gulf of Mexico to get organized and push upward more warm weather to the upper tier states and help melt those mountains of snow!@

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  06:01:24 AM  Show Profile

Love the pictures of Spring ladies...I thought we might have an early Spring...but according to weather reports there may not be a lot of warm weather here in Kentucky until at least mid March...more snow is forecast this week...

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5154 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5154 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  08:08:59 AM  Show Profile
We have a high of 50 today and dropping to the 40's mid- week with a chance of snow flurries! I have daffodils ready to open! and found a bunch of wild ones near the potting shed I never saw before. I can feel Spring trying to push Winter back to the end of the line!

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Feb 24 2014 08:09:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  09:59:59 AM  Show Profile
Yay for daffodils!! They are NOT afraid of a little cold or snow and soldier on through to bring us their beautiful blooms! We are getting a few cold days Wed- Friday from that storm which might bring you some snow flurries.

Does anyone beside me believe that old saying about March? In like a Lamb, Out like a Lion and vice versa??

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

579 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
579 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  12:38:33 PM  Show Profile
Here in the NW we are having our usual rain. Days are slowly warming up to spring temperatures. We haven't had the weather most of the country is experiencing. I had prayed for those of you who are dealing with such bad stuff. I am so looking forward to more sun and getting my garden going. We're putting in another raised bed. Been fixing the pressure canner so it can do its job this summer.Can hardly wait!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5154 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5154 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  12:43:54 PM  Show Profile
Yes I do, Winnie! I have heard that all my life! We will have to see if it sneaks in! My 3rd grade teacher put a Paper lamb and a lion( she was a great Artist) on the March Calendar and we would swap them from the beginning to the end during the month, depending on the Weather that week! LOL! Funny ,I can see those pictures as clear as a bell in my Head! She always decorated a section of the Bulletin Board for each month's Holidays!

Sylvia, canning sounds so wonderful!! I am going to try my hand at it this year.
Connie
Imagine....#3392 I have some exactly like this coming up around the tree in my front yard, and they are tuff aren't they! They have been Beaming thru the snow here Many a Year!

Edited by - Killarney on Feb 24 2014 12:45:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  6:11:51 PM  Show Profile
Yay Judy!!!

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I think that you meant celebrating the Resurrection of Christ? :)

Ladies, I love the pictures :)

We had a very mild winter this year. Not much snow but thankfully enough so we won't be in a drought this year. Yay! The apple trees, aspens and cottonwoods and lilacs are starting to bud now. I'm not sure if that is a good thing because I think we may still have cold weather. I think that you girls in the south got our snow this year :)

How do you girls decorate for Spring?

I love to bring the outdoors in. I want to try forcing branches this year. I like to decorate with birds and springy colors. And Primrose or Hyacinth :)

When you think of Spring what comes to mind?

I think of rain, flowers pushing their way through the soil, birds singing and fluttering about. The scent of Hyacinths, the brightness of daffodils :) (thank you for the pics Connie and Winnie :))

Oh, I was playing ball with my pup yesterday and a ladybug flew by :)

Here is a pic of the top of our china cabinet from last spring:

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Feb 24 2014 6:16:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  6:24:02 PM  Show Profile

Bless you Sharon for correcting me on my mistake :):):)how could I have reread my post so many times and not have caught that! Thank you and thank you for contributing to the conversation...love the pictures everyone has submitted :):):)and we have definitely had our fill of Winter here in the south this year...

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  05:44:04 AM  Show Profile
Girls, you gotta go visit Farmgirl ,Teri ,on her blog WhiteSheep Farm and see how she made these fabric daffodils. They look very easy and they turned out so cute!! I think I am going to try doing some real soon so I can have a vase full to enjoy. They don't grow down here and the real ones in the store only last a few days. Check it out!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5154 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5154 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  08:06:18 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, I will check that out! I am a big fan of Teri's work and her Tutorials are very precise and easy to follow for any novice, like me!

Winnie, you should order some bulbs around Oct. and put them in a brown bag in the bottom of the fridge, until January, take them out and put them in a pot , if you have a window that gets light, they do not have to have direct sunlight and watch them grow and bloom. that way you can enjoy them longer! You can also put them in a bowl of rocks and you don't have to use soil at all. I have done that many years with paper whites and even tulips. You can do any bulb that way.

Hugs!
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  09:57:51 AM  Show Profile

Well Ms. Connie...you are offering us a lot of great ideas today...thanks...I did not know you could grow them without soil...that is one of my projects for this week...and the daffodils are so cute!

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  11:08:50 AM  Show Profile
It still looks like winter here - even a couple days in the 50's didn't melt all our snow! But, as soon as I see my crocuses I'll snap some pictures! They don't mind a little snow and should be making an appearance soon. Those and the daffodils say spring is on the way. Also our first calf is due in 4 days. That's what comes to my mind when I think spring - crocuses, daffodils, calves, rain, and lots of birds chirping! And this year - not having to wear my carhartt coveralls!!!!!

When is your calving season Sharon?

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  12:40:14 PM  Show Profile
Connie, doing bulbs like you suggested is a great idea. I will try that next year and see how it all goes. I went out today to look for Teri's required ingredient, laundry starch and nobody carries it anymore. There is spray starch but the old kind that was liquid and comes in a bottle is not to be found here anywhere. So, I will get some real daffodils in a pot from the grocery store soon and enjoy them.

Hahah, Heather, your comment about no longer needing the carhartt coveralls! I bet you are ready to hang them up for the season and just live in your jeans and wells!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5154 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5154 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  3:29:22 PM  Show Profile
LOL! No Carhartt's! for heather soon!!

You can bloom any bulb inside that grows outside as long as you put them in a brown bag in the bottom of the fridge for 6 weeks, any time of the year. then take them out and put in any kind of container, I like those med glass vases you get flowers in, or the dollar tree has them now too square ones or ceramic bowls, the little taller vase does better for the daffodils or paper whites cause they get so tall and fall over so I stake them with wood skewers for cooking. Google growing bulbs in containers inside, there will be step by step instructions.

I got pots boiling on the stove, gotta run!
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5154 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5154 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  07:40:23 AM  Show Profile

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  08:02:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks again Judy for a wonderful post. I have already seen signs of spring. I love on the first warm day, i am able to sit outside before work and have my coffee and look around, maybe check around and clean out my strawberry pots, and deep breaths of spring air.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hodge-Lodge-Clothesline/285366378259342

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5154 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5154 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  08:07:19 AM  Show Profile
I am getting ready to fire up the Tiller!

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  09:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Oh!!! LOVE all the color happening here!! I am soooo ready for SPRING!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl/wordpress.com

www.simplyaroma.com/aliciawinkler 100% certified therapeutic grade essential oils
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  10:22:41 AM  Show Profile
OOOOOOHHHH Connie - I want to go for a run under those beautiful trees!!!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5154 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5154 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  1:29:41 PM  Show Profile
Me too!! Heather and Alicia! Me too!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  7:06:35 PM  Show Profile

Love all the posts girls...keep the beautiful pictures coming!

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5154 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5154 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  08:36:10 AM  Show Profile
I took these pictures when I was in Ireland, March 2011 - Tulip Bed beside the Blarney Castle. Because of the Cool Climate all year, the Flowers are Sooooooo Brilliant in Color!!! I was always taking pictures and just drooling over them and a lady from New Jersey ask me, " Do you not have Tulips and Daffodils in Tennessee??? I said sure, but because of the warm climate, they don't ever look like these! LOL!

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392ics

Edited by - Killarney on Feb 28 2014 08:38:03 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Holidays: Previous Topic Spring Farm Girl Virtual Gathering Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page