Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 How do I remove candle wax from the wall?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How do I remove candle wax from the wall? Next Topic  

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  10:25:36 AM  Show Profile
I have three all beeswax candles on my mantle, they are a deep purple color. My darling husband huffed and puffed to put them out and now I have dark purple wax all over the walls. Any ideas how to remove it?

Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  10:35:15 AM  Show Profile
Ice will probably work..wax usually is easy to remove from the container if you put it in the freezer to chill..I would think the same would apply to any surface it is on..get it cold.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  07:23:33 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Laura - I think I might have a little bad news for you -- this same thing happened to me (except that I was the one doing the huffing and puffing!) with red candles on a taupe wall, and after trying absolutely everything I could think of, I ended up hanging a lovely painting over the spots!!! Durn - best of luck!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  10:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The wax is the easy part to remove- the dye stains can be permanent. I second Tina's advice of the ice. Hold a cube over a spot for a while (test to see) anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute or two depending on the size of the splatter. Then they should just flake right off with a fingernail or soft scrapper (don't want to chip the wall) if you need to- you might need to touch up the paint where it splattered. You can always try putting bleach on a rag and dabbing it on the discolored spots. Sometimes that can help with dye stains.
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  4:39:14 PM  Show Profile
What a mess. I tried the ice and then tried to scrap it off with my finger. When that didn't work I tried using a candle flame and trying to heat the wax up. It made the wax run and then the dark color was all over. I then let it cool and tried bleach. I have now lightly sanded the area and have plans to retexture the wall and paint. New rule at my house, no colored candles! Thanks for all the great ideas. They were all worth a try.
Laura

Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  4:42:41 PM  Show Profile
I know this really works for wax on carpet but maybe it will for wax on the wall as well. If you take an old terrycloth towel and place it over the wax then take an iron on high and place it over the towel. The heat should melt the wax and the towel will absorb the wax and the dye in the wax. I have done this numerous times on spilled wax in carpet so it may be worth a shot. Good luck
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  4:47:28 PM  Show Profile
Mag,

Thanks for the great idea. I do have some wax on my carpet and I will give that a try. I don't think I have to worry about my husband touching another candle.
Laura

Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How do I remove candle wax from the wall? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page