traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2014 :  4:52:40 PM  Show Profile
So I made chile pickles in oil from the hungrytigress.com site and they are too salty. I love salt but this is too much even for me.

Her recipe is for 1/2 pound of jalapenos and I had 3 pounds of the little darlin's so I multiplied all amounts by 6. Well, everything is great except obviously 12 tablespoons of salt are waaaaayyyyy too much.

I tried emailing her and haven't heard back so thought I would check with you all.

What can I do?

Can I drain off the oil solution and soak the chiles and change the water a few times and then re-oil the chiles? If that sounds confusing, go to the site and read the recipe. I think that would be easier than me trying to explain all the steps.

I know that sometimes you can add a raw potato to "bind up" the saltiness.

I really don't want to lose 3 pounds of delicious chile pickles! Especially after waiting three weeks for them to ferment.

Thanks.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2014 :  4:59:55 PM  Show Profile
I don't know what to do now. But, just for a little general information. When doubling a recipe, you RARELY double the spices, seasonings, etc. You 1 1/2 times it instead, and taste and go from there.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2014 :  11:17:35 AM  Show Profile
Well--here is what happened:

I rinsed all the "solution" off the chiles with hot water. Then soaked them in more warm water in a bowl, changing out the soaking water several times over a couple of hours. Most of the saltiness went away but so did some of the tang of the fermentation.

The next day I made more spice mixture and basically re-did the recipe from that point. However, I only added 3 tablespoons salt to the spice mixture. They taste much better. And after being in the refrigerater overnight, the tang seems to have returned. Yay.

I am a glutton because I have another 3+ pounds of jalapenos waiting! Three weeks is such a long time.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2014 :  5:33:24 PM  Show Profile
next time (and this works with soups, stews, etc)put a raw potato in , and it will soak up a huge amount of salt...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Too salty?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page