Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 Too old? and well....too plus size?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Too old? and well....too plus size? Next Topic
Page: of 2

emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  12:33:50 PM  Show Profile
I love the junk gypsy girls style of clothing! But I'm not as young and skinny (I call a spade a spade too) as they are.

At what point does it become less of a fashion statement (your own style) and more of a "that doesn't look good at all on her"?

You know what I mean???

Darlene

"Support your local fire departments and rescue squads...volunteers making a difference"

www.etsy.com/shop/FeedSackFarm
www.etsy.com/shop/Chronographica

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  12:52:31 PM  Show Profile
I don't think age or size matters. However, making sure the smallest parts of your body are accenuated can make a big difference. For instance for me, if I put a belt right under my breast...it makes my stomach (my largest part) look much smaller, my boobs do look bigger (they are already giant). But, to me that looks better then a big belly and smaller looking boobs. I know some people don't want their boobs to look big, but I think it looks better then like I said, a big stomach and smaller ones! lol haha Looks more balanced, etc. So the key is knowing how to wear the style that you like....

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  1:06:19 PM  Show Profile
I think a lot of it is attitude. You look good to those who care about you. If it fits, shows your personality and makes you feel good, go for it.
I personally don't like to see short, short skirts on mature ladies, no matter what their size, or cutesy little bitty outfits made for teens.
Severely dated makeup and hair styles are a lot more unflattering. I heard long ago that "older ladies" should have short hair, nonsense! Wild a frazzled may be kid style but long and cared for is classic.
If a lady totters on high heels from balance issues she should give them up. If arthritis makes it hard to deal with lots of buttons there are other options. If you are comfortable in your clothes it gives you confidence.

Dress as you like! Be who you are. Don't worry about anyone who can't mind their own business.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  2:15:24 PM  Show Profile
I am still a jeans and tshirt girl. I wore a prairie skirt and tshirt the other day just because around the house. Was a little surprised at the grandkids remarks. I like your dress dress Gigi, heard over and over. Seems I have never worn a dress or skirt around them that they remember. LOL So maybe I need to do that more often plus I felt good and comfortable wearing it. I do feel I am too "chunky" to wear them out.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  6:04:32 PM  Show Profile
I've been collecting pictures of plus-size fashions on Pinterest when I see something online that appeals to me. Some will probably not work with MY body, but I really like to see the styles on plus-size models, it gives me lots of styling ideas.

Every now and then I go look at all the photos I've collected to see if I can figure out the "common threads" (no pun intended).

By the way, I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "junk gypsy" but some of the photos I'm collecting are from "Johnny Was" design line which includes a lot of prints and embroidery - you can check out some of his plus size collection at Bloomingdale's here http://www1.bloomingdales.com/buy/Johnny-Was-Plus-Sizes?cm_mmc=google-_-Plus+Sizes+-+Designer+-+Main-_-Plus+Sizes+-+Johnny+Was-_-s_johnny%20was%20plus%20size__25681654264&mkwid=s1lOEuWWj&pcrid=25681654264&keyword=johnny%20was%20plus%20size&matchtype=e&gclid=CNfA7IDN6bsCFclaMgod8H4AKA

Is that what you mean by "junk gypsy"?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Jan 06 2014 05:01:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  10:00:57 PM  Show Profile
I've found that a lot of times even though I hate the fabric of a outfit, the style works for my body type. I've started just taking EVERY thing to the changing room with me, and it always seems the stuff I hate worst on the hanger looks best on me, and the things I liked most on the hanger looks hideous on me! That's the common thread! lol haha No I have figured out certain heavier fabrics look better on me (the way they smooth my lumps! lol) and certain cuts look better.

I will tell you, one huge thing that ALL plus size women should start doing....wear tricot under garments. For some reason the idea that undergarments (slips and camisoles) were for keeping your clothing from being seen through, in reality that's just a by-product of foundation garments. The real thing that good tricot undergarments do, is smooth your silhouette. It will take you to looking nice and smooth from a broke can of biscuits! It will take at least 10 lbs off most plus size women. And a correct fitting bra-lifting the girls up where they should be, will narrow your waist at least 20 lbs sometimes!

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  05:15:36 AM  Show Profile
OK, so I just googled "junk gypsys" and now I see what you mean...

Lots of color, fringe, cowboy boots, lace, western jewelry...

I don't see anything wrong with incorporating those elements into your wardrobe as a plus-size, with two exceptions -

Those tiered skirts look romantic on skinny models, but when you are short and plump and wear them, you look like a tank (I had one or two and hated the photos)

Cowboy boots are difficult if not impossible to find in wide widths or wide calves. I would go for a shorter bootie with the same heel and toe styles...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  08:51:04 AM  Show Profile
One of our farmgirls has an etsy site that she sells upcycled clothing in ALL sizes. I think you might like this style, too. Check her out at this site:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  5:26:00 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I know EXACTLY what you mean about the tiered skirts on women sized women! I'm not short, but I've got the plump!
And I think using elements from certain styles is the way to go for us gals that aren't the same body type as the models!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  6:26:34 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, dear ladies, for your ideas and encouragement. You're right...I essentially need to step out of my ho-hum comfort zone, use a little (but not too much!) common sense, and go for it. I like the belt and the tricot ideas too.

Again, I really appreciate your feedback to someone who has never been very self confident. It is time to go for it!

Hugs to all,
Darlene

"Support your local fire departments and rescue squads...volunteers making a difference"

www.etsy.com/shop/FeedSackFarm
www.etsy.com/shop/Chronographica
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  7:12:24 PM  Show Profile
Between your post, and the temperatures out there right now, you spurred me to pinterest bloomers (need some in this weather!) and I had first planned to make some flannel ones, but pinterest found me some velvet ones! OMG, I never imagined that. That will be so warm, and the ones on pinterest are so cute. (very junk gypsy) I'm making them!

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  10:58:04 PM  Show Profile
I wear stuff around the house that makes me feel good. Of course, I wouldn't be caught dead in public with some of it. It is fun to have the freedom in one's house to do and dress freely. I have a couple of gypsy/hippie looking dresses I wear that feel so good. Hope I never get caught, they will think I have flipped.
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2014 :  11:33:02 PM  Show Profile
One of my favorite things to wear is my tiered skirts with a petticoat underneath! Shhhhhh...it's actually a white tiered skirt from target a couple years ago. I don't wear it often...I stick to my jeans and t-shirts,thermal shirts and sweatshirts...mainly out of habit and not wanting to stick out. I'm plus size too and very conscious of it.I do love the hippie,1800's etc...look though!
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2014 :  1:26:11 PM  Show Profile
Honestly, in my humble opinion, if you don't feel good with what you are wearing then you won't look good in whatever you're wearing. However, if you absolutely love something and it looks a little "off", then see if you can layer, add a belt or scarf, a "statement" piece of jewelry. When it all comes down to it, if you love it then go for it because beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway! For me personally I've been doing a lot of layering to personalize my outfits because I feel too old to shop in the junior's as a mom of 3 with one on the way but I also feel too young to shop in the real women's section. So, to save myself that frustration, I thrift. I repurpose. I layer, layer, layer:) And of course no matter what you are wearing- Sunday best or your beat up work clothes nothing beats wearing a smile :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2014 :  7:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
So true. i have been wearing what makes me feel good for some time now. and what makes me feel good is skirts and tops. different styles, colors, as much natural fabric as possible. Boots in the winter, sandels in the summer. i very seldom wear pants or jeans anymore. i refuse to pay the price for jeans. i shop thrift shops, yard sales, i repurpose like mad. i wash just about everything, even wool and linen. and i layer, layer, layer too. especially this time of year. i don't like being cold. this year i discovered scarves, and chunky jewelry. and i wear wool socks.

Attitude is the key. i wear what i want for me, what makes me feel good. and if i feel good, i look good, and i act confidently.

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2014 :  10:04:59 PM  Show Profile
I started wearing wool socks this year....I actually threw out my cotton ones! I LOVE wool socks now!

I mainly wear skirts (that I make myself) and I thrift...I love thrifting.

Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2014 :  08:58:08 AM  Show Profile
I wear wool blend socks year round. Have for years. Love how they make my feet feel.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2014 :  09:12:28 AM  Show Profile
I have to wear cotton socks next to my skin when I wear winter socks. This year I noticed that wool next to my skin causes me to itch very badly to the point at which I injure myself.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2014 :  4:28:11 PM  Show Profile
There is different kinds of wool, you may want to check the for wool that is less itchy-merino, cashmere, and lambs are a few that tend to go less itchy...

Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2014 :  7:23:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Heather, never knew that. I believe mine said merino. I don't have the tag anymore.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  1:36:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MagnoliaWhisper

There is different kinds of wool, you may want to check the for wool that is less itchy-merino, cashmere, and lambs are a few that tend to go less itchy...

You could look for alpaca or llama yarns too. If you don't have farm markets and other such places near you, try online. I have a pair of alpaca socks that are thick and delightfully soft inside. A whole different animal -- literally!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  7:28:59 PM  Show Profile
you aren't kidding. My brother did some missionary work in south american and brought back llama and alpaca stuff....soooooft! I will have to look for some!

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2014 :  03:57:56 AM  Show Profile
Heather; patterns for bloomers? i was thinking the other day how comfy they would feel..(not sure i would like velvet ones tho!)i've been wearing some men's cotton boxers under my jeans instead of my tighty whiteys and love the freedom yet "coverage"...in this horrid cold i've even worn my flannel pj bottoms under my jeans...

as to junk gypsy and upcycled- there is definitely a difference...i just turned 60 , am short and still pudgy-i love the look yet i just don't see me pulling it off-the inner me could but i tend to go more traditional .....ah well ....

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~

Edited by - Penny Wise on Feb 07 2014 03:58:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  07:19:15 AM  Show Profile
Bloomers? I cut off pajama bottoms or leggings depending what I want....the same for petticoats ,,old skirts like one shared above.

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~*Terri*~~
Life is too short, it is just a vapor, live it like you wont have another minute with the ones you love......
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  07:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Look in the back of mjf magazine there is a ad for vintage patterns they have a pattern for them

Roxanna Farmgirl# 3963
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  07:33:54 AM  Show Profile
All you have suggested sounds
GREAT...Ill try some new ides too...

Edited by - 5 acre Farmgirl on Jan 15 2015 09:39:32 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Too old? and well....too plus size? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page