nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  5:52:02 PM  Show Profile
I don't think you can do anything to stay ahead of it at this point Winnie. We just make many trips out side to make sure the heaters are all working and fix what freezes. Luckily it hasn't been too bad. We've had minor things like a water line freeze and the other day our vacuum pump belts must have gotten some moisture on them that froze during the night. They broke when we went to start up the milkers. As long as cows have food in their belly they stay very warm. We don't have any young calves - we're working towards becoming seasonal - so all our cows have their babies in the spring and summer. That is a big worry gone! I hate to see baby calves shivering. I always feel so bad for them. I believe if we domesticate the animals and force them to stay in certain spots with fences then we need to provide for their needs. I'm not trying to upset anyone so please don't take offense if anyone has animals that stay outside. I know that different parts of the country have different weather and the animals are very comfortable - and better off - without shelters, but it's not the case here. We don't have any hills or valleys or woods for protection. Anyway - about the red tractor - it's a must that's for sure. I'm just looking forward to one day being able to get one with a cab on it!!!

Nini - I would love to see a picture of my twin if you have one. I've always wondered if I'd ever meet my "everyone has a twin out there somewhere" twin. When I was a senior in high school my mom got a bit carried away with calling colleges and requesting information for me. When she called one in Indiana (I lived in Michigan then) she gave them my name and they said - "she's already enrolled for the semester". I don't know what she looked like, but apparently there's someone that had my name too! And if that isn't funny enough - my sister-in-law is Heather too! We had all kinds of issues the first couple Christmases!!!

I've heard about the salt and propane shortages. They won't fill anyone's propane tanks unless they're under 25% and then they'll only fill them to 50%. I'm very thankful for our woodstove this year! Be careful out there on those roads!!! I agree - you better stick to the hills and curves! LOL!! Hopefully this weekend won't be too bad.

Lori - I usually love winter, but I'm ready to start counting down to spring too. I'm just glad there's some snow to go with these cold temperatures so at least it's pretty. I find it depressing when it's so cold and bare. Winnie can show us some pictures soon so we can watch spring head our direction! That would be fun!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  6:23:11 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmmm... I'm going to have to dig around, Heather. I haven't seen Maurine since our wedding day, and the only "recent" images I have of her are on my wedding video from 25 years ago! I know I must have some from when we were kids somewhere... I'll have to see what I can find! :)

Yeah, they showed one of the local salt distribution centers on the news tonight. It was looking pretty sad. One of the managers from the road crew said that he was really scared by the shortage - he has never seen it this bad, ever. Not exactly a comforting thing to hear.

I still love the winter, though; I really, really do. But we're blessed to be prepared for it for the most part. Some people are just not in a good way - the elderly, the infirm, the poor, the homeless... (Not to mention that I really hate that my husband drives all over creation for work in this snow and ice every day.) For their sake, I pray that this weather lets up soon. :)

Stay warm and safe!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  6:35:36 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Ooooooooohm'gosh... A good friend just sent this to me and I just had to share: http://www.youtube.com/embed/WsOMeru8pxQ

I thought you girls who are cursing the snow would love it! Enjoy!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 06 2014 6:38:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2014 :  05:54:06 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I will be happy to provide some photos of what is happening around here. Really, really Farmgirls, Spring is moving upwards from the South. I promise! The Robins arrived here this week on their annual migratory stop off, the Sandhill Cranes are leaving now for the far north in huge groups, and the temps in the Gulf of Mexico are warming up! The Gulf is our ticket here right now for all of you in the middle of the country because the relative warm air masses will move up through the country. Depending on where the Jet Stream is at any given day, the warm air wants to move upwards. Remember that old adage, warm air rises?? Well, the Gulf warm air starts pushing up and makes it further and further as the days tick towards March. The water temp off the west coast of Florida up my way right now is about 72 degrees and it is a degree or two warmer way down state. Not balmy swimming temperature but a huge water mass that warm has some mojo. Help in on the way! For example, that Gulf air kept the recent cold front above the Florida border and gave us about 3 days in the upper 70s. It turned cooler yesterday but not nearly as cold as the week before. I realize that weather is complicated and there are many other factors besides the Gulf water temp at play, but the Gulf does and will be a big factor in pushing warm air northwards. So, even though you feel like there is no end in sight, things are warming up and will be able to push back against the cold front lines and move further and further inland. Stay tuned!

Winnie #3109

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2014 :  08:13:06 AM  Show Profile
Loving these posts !
We have about 9 inches here from this week. Not melting and roads pretty icy still.

Our cars are buried! Lol

My daughter went down and made a snow Angel! :)

At her work, she had to shovel a path to the dumpster so they could get the packing boxes unloaded!

Although winter is not my favorite season?? I'm adjusting and learning to appreciate the 'being stuck indoors'
I enjoy the beauty of the snow (just want it melting sooner ;)
I love my peppermint mochas, knitting and crafts, a pot of hot soup on the stove.
A warm and cozy blanket while reading or watching a favorite show on tv!
And yes, always steaming hot cocoa with mini marshmallows!!

Enjoy and stay warm, all of you in snow laden areas! :)

Blessings,
Linda

http://grannysbirds.blogspot.com/
Country at Heart
'For I know the plans I have for you......'

Edited by - prayin granny on Feb 07 2014 08:14:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2014 :  08:18:13 AM  Show Profile
Can't find the post where one of you asked about wrist warmers?
I have a very easy beginner pattern I could email !

Let me know!

Hugs,
Linda

http://grannysbirds.blogspot.com/
Country at Heart
'For I know the plans I have for you......'
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2014 :  11:04:48 AM  Show Profile
That's funny Nini - thanks for sharing!

Winnie - Good to know! My weather radio says the temperature of Lake Erie is currently 32! While 72 might not be swimming weather for the locals down there, I might be tempted to try it out :)

Linda - love the pictures - especially the snow angel!! It turned out great! A peppermint mocha sounds wonderful right now!!! I asked about the wrist warmers. I'd love to see your pattern. Especially if it's easy! I wanted to attempt to make some heart decorations and the first pattern I found said to cast on 30 some stitches then divide them between 3 needles and then I was lost! I need a little more of simple knitting before I add more needles!!!

Hope everyone is staying warm. It's a blinding bright day out today, but only 6 degrees here!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2014 :  8:21:14 PM  Show Profile
Well it has snowed here! I am just shocked at the amount! I'm not new to snow (my mom lived in Tahoe for five years) but boy were we unprepared!!! We live at the top of a hill, but our driveway just didn't want to cooperate and I got stuck between two hills. I couldn't get up either side! It was funny thinking about it now, and there was no damage, but boy was I embarrassed!! I kept going back an forth, trying to gain enough momentum to get over one side without go fast enough to slide out of control, and after about the tenth time of trying to get up either hill, I almost got to the top of one, but couldn't quite make it over that last bump! Thankfully, I didn't slide and with the help of a few good neighbors, we got it up over the top of the opposite hill, where we left it for the night! Today, DH went and bought some chains and now we got it back into our driveway! Lots of adventure here!
But, my boys and I have been having a blast playing in the snow! Snowball fights, snowmen, snow angels!! I made the Love Syrup from MJF magazine and it's really yummy! I added cayenne to give it a little more heat and it made the perfect cup of cocoa! After changing our socks and making the hot cocoa, we snuggled in to read! Just a great winter's day!
Stay warm and toasty, everyone!!!! This next system is a whopper!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2014 :  08:38:34 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Linda, that's alot of snow. I agree with Nini on the Peppermint Mochas. In fact I think I will pull out my recipe for Peppermint Mocha Creamer today :)

Ally, I need to try that Love Syrup recipe too! You are a girl after my own heart, I would be adding Cayenne too!

We finally have gotten snow and it is such a blessing. Now the farmers and ranchers will be able to get their full shares of water . It is so beautiful outside and I love watching our dog Cookie play in the snow, she is loving it. Yesterday I was playing 'catch' with our pig Endeavour. He is so funny and sweet.

Nini, it is such a blessing to be prepared. It may be tough in the warmer months preparing and taking care of the garden and all of the preserving but when you see that snow outside, you have a fire in the woodstove, and you see the pantry lined up with the fruits of your labor it is so worth it :)

Check out this craft:
http://www.save-on-crafts.com/bucofsnow.html

Aren't they cute?

Stay warm ladies!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2014 :  5:50:24 PM  Show Profile
Sharon - that is too funny! Look what I just made for my niece:

Glad to hear you're finally getting some snow.

Ally - That snow can be tricky! Glad you had some help and everything ended up OK. Sounds like you're having a great time now though.

I made a treat for everyone to help beat the winter blues:

Enjoy!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Holidays: Previous Topic Celebrate: ~*~WINTER~*~ Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page