True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2014 :  2:23:37 PM  Show Profile
Lori. I hope Natalie had a wonderful Birthday today

Teri, I am going to have to try what you suggested to Heather. I don't know why knitting intimidates me, it shouldn't. Especially when I have a friend whose daughter is legally blind (she can see a little) and she knits and creates patterns at only 17 years old. Geesh!

Ally, your post made me smile about the tea :) I love flannel sheets in the winter. One year we tried the fleece but it was a little too much. The flannel sheets on our bed have pine cones and pine needles on them and I just love them. I like to keep a basket by the side of my bed for fuzzy socks, a small basket in my nightstand for hand cream too.

Heather, you will have to show us when you finish your knitting project.

We didn't get snow last night :( The flurries went away as quickly as they came. It was a beautiful day today and I was able to do some baking, making granola for my honey, some caramels for him and I made a Brown Sugar Syrup to try for when he makes me Lattes :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2014 :  2:57:59 PM  Show Profile
Heather,
2 needle anything is easy! Really, I am not just saying that.
Here is a 2 needle wrist warmer. The difference is 2 needles you have to sew them up. 4 they are done when done ... but, you have to master two before you go to 4.
Here is the link.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/simple-2-needle-mitts
These will work up fast and not hard.

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2014 :  3:00:09 PM  Show Profile
Sharon,
After all these years, I still count, cause a lot of the time I am knitting when hubby is watching tv, so it is a bit on the dark side for these old eyes.
Temps in the 50's today, now that is my kind of winter ...

Teri

www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2014 :  12:47:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for sharing Teri. I think I'm having better luck with the second one because it's knit 2 pearl 2 and that's what I say to myself as I'm doing it. I'll post some pictures when it's done. I try to do a couple rows everyday. I know it's not much, but I still haven't even got my Christmas stuff put away yet! I'm still trying to play catch up and last weeks snow has turned into this weeks mud! Lots of cleaning up to do (such as calf pens and hay bunks). Hopefully this week I'll get everything caught up and next week I can knit a bunch!

Did anyone make any soup or stew? I got 2 loaves of bread fresh from the oven :)

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  04:42:20 AM  Show Profile
Heather,
Like I said most ANYTHING with 2 needles is VERY easy, even for a beginner. Really ... The only thing different you will have to know (and you should learn) making wrist warmers
is how to increase and decrease.
If you go to my site, I posted a pair of slippers I made frrom wool and felted them. Made with 2 needles and just Stockinette stitch and 3 rows of decrease. Fast, easy, and you can learn to felt at the same time.
There are TONS of patterns for free, that you can learn and use. You don't have to have 3000 pot holders ...LOL ... good luck and stick with it!

Teri

www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2014 :  10:19:58 AM  Show Profile
Teri - I'll check out your site! Slippers are definitely something I can use!!

OK - you asked for pictures here they are. (It's OK to laugh - I do!)

Here's the first one I made (with needles that were way too big) notice how it's not square!?!

Did you see the hole?

Second one turned out better (used smaller needles) but it really looks like a very short scarf rather than a dish cloth. Oh well, at least it looks like it's supposed to!

I found a lot of free patterns for dishcloths. Now I just have to learn what yarn over and turn means in the knitting world!

And here's what the weather's been doing!

Lots of snow. We're supposed to be back in the single digits this week. Hope everyone is staying warm!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2014 :  11:26:09 AM  Show Profile
Heather,
Not laughing ... we all have to start somewhere to get better. YO means just that, it's purpose is to do two things, one it will make a hole and two it will increase stitches(which will make your work wider).
Just google it when you are ready and it will bring up a million pages to show you how ... EASY!
Just keep at it, you can do it!!!
The photo of the tractor in the snow is pretty, but you can keep it ... LOL!

Teri

www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2014 :  6:16:01 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Teri!

Heather, so you are the one keeping the snow from us! The weather here in Colorado has been in the 50's, which is nice but we truly need the moisture.

It is hard to get in a 'Winter' mood without snow :(

Girls, what are some of your favorite winter recipes?

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  05:13:19 AM  Show Profile
Heather, keep up the good work! Knitting can be very frustrating but practice will make it easier and easier. Last night I was working on a pair of socks that I took a class on this past Saturday and keep struggling with a simple stitch because I forgot how to do it! Just since Saturday! GRRRR! I am off to google the problem and hopefully get a UTube video to show me. I love that RED TRACTOR and just saved the photo for my desktop screen saver.

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2014 :  09:18:59 AM  Show Profile
Well, I typed a long entry and it all disappeared! Let's try again.

Sharon - You can have the snow as long as you take the wind too! It's blowing so much it's snowing sideways! The snow plows can't keep up with the drifts. All the schools are going to have to make up days now.
As far as recipes - I don't have anything fancy, but this time of year I love beef stew, chili and grilled cheese, and beef and noodles.

Teri - I seen on your blog you're crocheting. I plan to give it a whirl some time too, but I'm having fun knitting right now. I actually made a dish cloth that looks like a dish cloth! Lesson learned this time - make sure to count your rows carefully! My second row of "windows" is on the back:But I'm getting better at it!!

Winnie - I hope you got your new stitch figured out. I would love to see a picture of your socks when you're finished. Here's a real red tractor picture for you. The allis is actually orange :)

Where is everyone else at? I hope they're not frozen!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2014 :  9:14:30 PM  Show Profile
My favorite winter recipe is anything from the oven! My MIL makes this wonderful dish she calls 40 Garlic Chicken! It pretty easy and there's no recipe for it, it's just a throw-it-together type meal!
~Chicken (any part, whole or in pieces, breast or thighs)
~40 cloves of garlic (DH loves garlic so I usually add more. This is where all that pre-peeled garlic comes in handy!)
~2-3 sweet potatoes, cut into 1-in. cubes (I leave the skins on, but it's up to you!)
~3-4 other potatoes, cut into 1-in cubes (again, use any kind you like. I love reds, but I've used purple before and it's very lovely!)
~1/2 - 1 cup Olive oil....I don't know if I'd use a whole cup. My MIL does, but I've used less and had good results.
~salt and pepper

Cover with foil and cook @375 until chicken is almost done, then take off foil to brown the chicken until it is completely done! So the time depends on how your chicken is prepped, so I'd look it up just to be sure. My MIL is good at knowing when it's done, whereas I'm a "Nervous Nellie" and usually overcook my chicken, so I leave that part of the recipe up to you! This is my favorite meal when I'm with my MIL!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2014 :  07:08:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh Heather-- A photo of a red tractor that is an international Harvester brand which was the origins of the first red tractor I ever had!! Love this and thanks for thinking about me. Your new dishcloth looks great with the windows. I like the simplicity of the pattern you came up with. I finished my socks and will take a photo and post soon. The needle size was a bit large for purposes of learning but I have started a second pair on a smaller size which I hope will be much better. Yesterday I was able to get the hard part done with only a few ripping out sessions which is a huge improvement over the first go around!! LOL!! We have been having some cold weather even here in north Florida and more is on the way tonight. My wool socks are working out pretty well!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2014 :  09:42:34 AM  Show Profile
I'll take it Heather! It has been unseasonably warm here in the Rocky Mountains. There is actually rain/snow in the forecast. hopefully we will get some moisture otherwise it will be a dry year. Your dishcloth looks great!

Ally, that sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing :)

Winnie, I hope that you are staying warm. I here that there is a cold front heading your way. I can't wait to see pics of your socks too!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2014 :  09:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I live just a few miles from "Calicogirl" and I'll take the snow. However, I DO NOT want the wind . . . NO THANK YOU!!!!!!
I washed windows yesterday . . . it's been a very long time since I have and it's okay if it makes for some precipitation. :D
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2014 :  05:22:44 AM  Show Profile
I just wanted to post a photo of my latest knitting projects. So, I took a sock class on January 18 and learned how to make socks with the heel. In this photo you can see a pair of tube socks (black/white yarn) that I did in order to get the hang of knitting on 4 needles and working a simple pattern. Then, the sock class used a smaller needle and yarn weight to work on the whole heel/foot thing. They turned out really well after lots of ripping out and having the teacher help me get the hang of it. Now, I am working on a second pair( see the one purple sock) that is shorter and acrylic so not too hot for spring wear. Next up are socks with a cotton yarn that requires #2 needles. Gulp! Teeny, tiny in comparison but I am motivated, I think!

The wild green/hot pink felted slippers came from Teri's blog at White Sheep Farm. These were easier to make than I imagined and really do help keep your feet warm with my tube socks on! I am motivated now to keep working on this pattern idea and maybe make cute felted slippers for a few Christmas presents next year.

We have been having lots of cold weather here in Florida and perfect for wearing wool socks (i have my new ones on) and getting into knitting skills I have wanted to learn for many years. Retirement is such a delight!!

Weather forecast for this weekend says the temps are going to be back to 80 degrees! I can't believe it but it is not uncommon here in this part of the US. Signs of spring are already happening. My azaleas in the back yard are already popping open, the Japanese Magnolias in town are in full bloom, and even a few Redbud trees have opened up. Yes, pretty soon, we will be closing the winter conversation down here and moving on to Spring. I just hope the hot, humid weather doesn't arrive by April!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2014 :  09:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well, my window washing worked! Last evening it started raining and today it is snowing!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2014 :  10:48:17 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, those look great!!! The slippers will make the perfect Christmas gifts :)

Cj, thanks for washing the windows :) MY garden will thank you this summer :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2014 :  09:44:03 AM  Show Profile
Love the socks! The slippers look great too! I'm still working on dish cloths for Christmas gifts, but I've now made 2 of different designs with no goofs!!!

Yesterday felt a bit spring like - it rained all day! I finally went outside without my coveralls on. They got a much needed soak in the washer! But, sometime during the night it all turned to snow. Now we have about 3 inches of fresh snow on top of a nice layer of ice :( and it didn't melt all the snow from before so there's some snow under the ice in places. There's no sign of spring on any of the plants around here, but there's not supposed to be yet. I guess we're going to get hit again on Tuesday with more arctic air and snow. I'd say for Ohio winter is still holding tight. Maybe I should check out that slipper pattern soon :)

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2014 :  11:42:04 AM  Show Profile
Not a big winter person, and ive been way too busy this year so far to enjoy a relaxed snow day. But i love to cook some comfort food, lots of beans and ham, with a rustic cornbread recipe that i adore. Want to try some rabbit and dumplings. Its on my winter list of things to do. I'll keep you posted.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hodge-Lodge-Clothesline/285366378259342

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  09:10:26 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
For those of you who are tired of so much snow . . . please bear with me.

We have NOT been getting snow and our part of the world has been dry, bare and brown . . . last summer was terrible!
So, we are grateful for the snow, which we been getting over the last three days.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  10:02:39 AM  Show Profile
So glad to hear that! We hear about the frightening low levels of snow this season out west which is quite worrisome for fires this summer.

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  6:23:46 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad you're getting some much needed snow. We're getting more too!!

Last night it was snowing so hard at times you couldn't see the barn!

Winnie - the red tractor didn't mind though. (We were hauling manure)

What it looked like this morning:
The round bales are 5 feet tall

It's almost up to my knees

Hope everyone is staying warm and healthy!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  05:33:29 AM  Show Profile
Heather,
You have posted some awesome pics- thank you!!

We have a wind chill advisory and snow up higher than I can measure. I am now counting down to spring!! I want to plant my garden and work in my flower beds...two things I didn't get much of last year. So, if anyone wants some snow c'mon over!! :)

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  05:47:29 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Heather, you do NEED a red tractor to get through these winter weeks of snow! Nothing like a trusty red tractor to muscle your way through the snow and manure!! I cannot imagine your life on a farm with the kind of weather that keeps plowing down from the Arctic. Love that photo of you in your winter garb! Let's assume that all this snow will mean a very green and lush Summer! Stay warm and keep us posted on how one stays ahead of the deluge of snow!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  07:09:10 AM  Show Profile
Wow... look at all those great projects and pics!

Heather, looks like Carey wants a snow kiss! Too cute! And you're just adorable there, knee high in the snow! :) You look SO much like my girlhood bff from Cape Cod! They say we all have a twin out there, but wow! The resemblance is uncanny!

Thank you for that recipe, Ally... sounds yummy! We really like garlic, too. As Grandma used to say, "It's good for what ails you." :)

I had no idea you girls weren't getting this same miserable snow weather as we are, Sharon & CJ! If I could send some back out your way, I gladly would. We are almost out of rock salt in our county and there is a propane shortage, too. Such beauty all around us, and yet it is so treacherous. When my hubby was leaving for work this morning, they had warnings on the news that salt trucks crews would be concentrating on salting only hills and curves. Sure enough, our road had not been plowed. Charlie said most roads have been covered in sheets of ice hidden under slush or snow. No sooner did he say that, the newscaster further warned of dangerous black ice everywhere. He smiled and assured me to play it safe he be sure to stick to hills and curves. Hardee har har. They said salt won't have any effect at temps lower than we seventeen degrees, either. What fun. We are expecting another major snowstorm this weekend,too. Yay. More ice, more snow. I'm thankful none of us will have to go out in this come Saturday.

Wish old Phil had had better news for everyone on Sunday. ;) Ah, well... at least it has given me great reason to stay put and catch up on cooking must-do 's... I've been making good use of my oven, dehydrator and canner. My cupboards are starting to look quite Amish, as I have always dreamed they would... Silver linings... Always look for the silver linings, girls! ;)

Keep warm, sisters, but stay cool!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 06 2014 07:20:37 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Holidays: Previous Topic Celebrate: ~*~WINTER~*~ Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page