5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2014 :  12:16:00 PM  Show Profile
Farmgirls, join me in celebrating

***Winter***

Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home. It is no season in which to wander the world as if one were the wind blowing aimlessly along the streets without a place to rest, without food, and without time meaning anything to one, just as time means nothing to the wind.
~Edith Sitwell

Winter is such a beautiful time of the year. The way the sun shines upon the snow, the beauty of the aftermath of an ice storm. For those who live in a southern climate, another opportunity to grow and harvest. Winter is also a time of reflecting. Reflecting on the previous year, noting changes, new things to try, a fresh new start with a fresh new year :)

For some, Winter may be a sad time, but I would like to encourage those of you who may not be so fond of Winter to explore :) There are so many things one can do whether it be participating in Winter sports, taking an art class or quilting class, gearing up for your garden and ordering your seeds, snuggling by the fire and finally catching up on all of those books you have been wanting to read. Check out your community calender and see what events may be going on. Pamper yourself.

I for one, love Winter. For me it is a time for coziness and cuddling, for sitting by the fire and reading. For crafting and trying new warming recipes. In February (in our neck of the woods :)) we have Sled Dog Races (snowfall permitting), I still have not made it yet but am hoping that this year I can.

Here is a craft on my list of ones to try for decorating for Winter, Iced Branches:

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/icedbranches.html

Please join me in sharing your thoughts and plans for Winter. Any craft ideas or recipes. Or decorating :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Jan 01 2014 1:38:30 PM

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2014 :  12:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Sharon . . . did you get my email about the smooshy Toasted Coconut Marshies? Another reason to love winter . . :D
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2014 :  1:14:43 PM  Show Profile
I love winter too! I plan to learn to knit and crochet this winter. Also get caught up on some sewing. We're supposed to get a winter storm tonight and tomorrow so I should have some pictures to post soon!!!!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2014 :  1:39:30 PM  Show Profile
CJ I'm glad that you liked them :) They sound perfect with your Pecan Shortbread. Yum!

Heather, I can't wait to see your photos!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2014 :  4:17:43 PM  Show Profile
Sharon, I am so glad you opened this new post for Winter! Even though we do not get much of a winter in Florida, we can get some light freezes and coldish days! It can get cold enough to enjoy fires in the fireplace, flannel jammies, quilts on the bed, and wool sweaters and hats and gloves. The cold gets mixed with warm ups so we don't have a steady state of cold days. One of the things I love to do in cold weather is knit. There is something very satisfying about getting some pretty yarn and working it up into something to wear or gift. Currently, I am working on learning socks and making tube socks with lovely thick and warm yarn. They are perfect for wearing in heavy boots or around the house when you need to have warm feet. Then on January 18, I am taking a knitting class to learn how to knit socks with the traditional heel. I cannot wait to learn ! Winter also brings the inspiration to make lots of different homemade soups. Mary Jane has been giving us ideas on her raisinjane blog under the food section and these recipes looks easy and delicious!

I will enjoy all of the photos posted here on the snow and ice storms that pass by. Snow is so beautiful to watch as long as you have heat and don't have to drive to work!! I remember with fondness the snow days of Virginia where I grew up. Mom used to make snow ice cream with the fresh falling snow. Does anyone else remember doing that? Does anyone still do it? All you do is take a bowl of fresh snow and pour a bit of vanilla flavored regular milk on top, stir it around and enjoy!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2014 :  5:09:36 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Blue Mountains in Utah just across the state line. I took the pic from Colorado earlier in December!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2014 :  7:02:28 PM  Show Profile
Winnie,
The snow cream sounds wonderful! I have not yet tried it but it is now on my list :) I would love to be able to knit socks. I am very much a beginner knitter but need to learn more stitches and technique.

CJ,
Beautiful!!!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2014 :  3:13:23 PM  Show Profile
Sharon! Thanks for getting this strain started! I can't believe I missed it yesterday!!!

Oooo! That DOES sound good, Winnie! And CJ - breathtaking picture!

I'm sitting here, cozy under my throw blanket, debating whether to get up and make a cup of tea to help warm my bones. Br-r-r-r-r-r-r! It's sooo chilly and snowy today - a whomping 20 degrees right now, and tonight we're supposed to go down to just 6.... By Monday night, they're saying we'll hit a low of -1!!! Eghads! There goes the snow plow... r-r-r-r-r-r-r-o-o-o-a-a-a-r goes the snow up against the cars parked along the sidewalk. Yay... Tomorrow's going to be fun... Nothing like shoveling the walkway and road to get the cars out at 4:45 a.m... ;) Better get the salt ready... And the woolies... Dinner's in the oven, so I don't have to climb out from under the blankie right this very minute, thank goodness, but man-oh-man I'm wishing I had made some bone-warming chili instead...

What kinds of foods do you make in the winter to take the chill off? We're going to have a run of cold, snowy weather - anything you girls would like to share would be wonderful! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2014 :  3:29:42 PM  Show Profile
Winnie,
Knit socks are sooo easy to make, I made three pairs in a week before. I knit year round, but really enjoy it on the cold winter days when I just want to sit in front of the woodstove.
Nini, really cold here today, rain made ice, then snow and the wind! It will blow you over. These are the day that I LOVE the wood stove!
Stay warm ya'll!

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2014 :  8:14:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh, girls!!!! I cannot complain at all about our pitifully cold weather! They just announced on the local news that somewhere in Minnesota they had a -40 degree temperature today! My goodness! Lord, have mercy!!! Teri - for those temps, I'm not even sure that a wood stove would suffice! But I sure would love to snuggle close by one and try! LOL!

In case you haven't seen it, here is a wonderful slideshow of beautiful snowflakes for you to check out: http://www.today.com/holidayguide/photographer-captures-snowflakes-stunning-detail-2D11789475

Just tap the cursor to the picture to forward to the next frame. :)

Also, if you continue to forward through the frames after seeing all the snowflakes, you'll see wonderful pics of winter around the world! Very cool! (No apologies - pun intended! LOL!)

Enjoy!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jan 02 2014 8:19:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2014 :  02:52:10 AM  Show Profile
Nini,
Those are amazing! Thanks for sharing ...
Here is a link to make your own ... fun! http://snowdays.me/

Teri

www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2014 :  04:44:07 AM  Show Profile
Teri- 3 pairs of socks in ONE WEEK? You are inspiring! Maybe the wood stove is the key? Perhaps the knitting class I am taking will hone up my skills to where I could make 1 pair in 1 week! Yesterday, I found some beautiful acrylic yarn for my daughter who is allergic to wool. It is sock weight yarn and the colors are so fun I can't wait to get started on a pair for her as she lives in Asheville, NC and they have plenty of need for warm socks!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2014 :  04:55:54 AM  Show Profile
Winnie,
There is some really fun sock yarn out there ... sock ease has some great colors.
And once you get the heel flap and turn you will be fine.
I have made so many, that I have the pattern memorized in my head. LOL ...

Teri

www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2014 :  05:11:19 AM  Show Profile
Happy Winter to everyone! I just went outside to start my dad's truck so, Natalie can go to school and it is -15 below!! The truck started...but it didn't really want to!!! Time to let it warm up for a good while and made her oatmeal for breakfast- hopefully will keep her nice and warm this morning at school!
Stay warm today Farm Girls!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2014 :  9:38:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh Girls!! You HAVE to check out these pictures of bubbles that froze in the cold!!! SO cool!!! http://www.today.com/id/53963638/?__source=xfinity|mod&par=xfinity They remind me of the glass Christmas ornaments our neighbor back home blew for us in his workshop! Amazing! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  05:05:41 AM  Show Profile
Just thought I would weigh in from FLorida. We too have been shivering the past 3 days down here! For several nights we had temps below freezing for more than 8 house, Lots of local plants got nipped and local oranges may have been effected in some areas. But, honestly, I have been loving every minute! Finally, I can wear my knitted hats, scarves, gloves and bundle up. The air feels so good and refreshing. We have such a long hot summer and fall that a little bit of cold is a welcomed change. We have also been enjoying building fires in the fireplace in our family room in the evening. What a bonus! The weather is supposed to warm up to the mid 70s by Saturday before another cool down. That is how it goes down here in the winter. Hot, then warm , then cold, then warm….. Crazy!

Terri, I am almost finished my "homework " for my sock class which is getting the sock knitted down to the gusset . The pattern is pretty easy and I have hopes of getting the hang of it well enough to report back here that I can knit at least ONE pair of socks a week! We shall see how that all goes!! Lol!!

As far as Winter cooking, I have been making lots of hearty soups full of veggies and cooked on a slow heat. Has anyone else been doing this while it is so cold?

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  06:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Winnie,
I like you love the cold weather that we are having. I am farther south but our temps are reaching in the low 50s during the day and high 30s at night. This is great weather for soups and I have made a variety of soups. I keep trying to freeze some buy my hubby and I eat them before I get the chance. Wish we had some of the snow the other girls are having just don't want their -temps though. How about you?
Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  08:16:30 AM  Show Profile
Everyone grab a cup - you're going to need some hot cocoa for these pictures!!

Big Fluffy Flakes Falling (and accumulating!)

Love the pine trees in the snow:

Carey wanted her picture taken too!

I have to chuckle to myself when I read about you girls knitting socks. I'm trying to learn to knit. I got a book for Christmas to learn to knit scarves. Since I already have a bunch that were made for me I figured I could just shorten the pattern and use it for dishcloths. I got one done :) The problem is I should have 20 stitches (the book said so!) and I did for the first 2 rows then somehow another one magically appeared! The book does not tell me what to do if I don't have 20. I just kept going - what do the dishes care if my square isn't exactly square? Well, by the time I thought it was big enough I had 23 stitches and one hole. Not sure how that happened, but I have a dishcloth none the less!!! It's supposed to be a basket weave pattern. It might be, but the dishcloth is small and the yarn is variegated so I can't really tell. I started another one with smaller needles. We'll see how that goes. Maybe by this fall I can think about some socks?!? What would you seasoned knitters recommend for a step 2 project - a step up from scarves and dishcloths?

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  08:40:13 AM  Show Profile
Heather, Fill me up with a mug of that hot chocolate! I love the photos of your snowy farm too, especially Carey's smile!! As to what to work on next with your knitting, you can find children's knitting books that use basic stitches to make simple shoulder bags, hats and other useful things. Maybe try your hand at knitting a big bag to hold your needles and yarn in?

Becky, yes I wouldn't mind some snow at all! As a matter of fact, I would be ecstatic!! I grew up in Charlottesville, Virginia which is at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mts. and we always had snow and ice in the winter. Sledding and ice skating were things I enjoyed very much. I completely understand how those delicious soups seem to disappear before you can get any in the freezer! Of course, I have to admit, I do my fair share of making sure nothing is left to freeze. LOL!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5154 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5154 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  09:53:43 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, Beautiful picture!

I have a pair of Teri's socks, and one of Winnie's Hats and they are both so Soft and Warm and Fancy!

Heather, loved the pics! Carey is soo stinkin Cute!! I too am trying to learn more than a dishcloth and a scarf that goes on forever!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  3:37:12 PM  Show Profile
I am loving winter, mostly from inside. I like winter to organize and clean but I am really working on extra fun learning for the kids this year. My 6 year old and I started learning origami this week. The four year old and I are working on early reading. We are also constructing a solar system and have cross stitching in the works. I am enhancing my crochet skills.

Heather I love the pics of the farm. They make me want some cocoa for sure!

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  3:56:48 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I love to make soups, stews and pot pies in the winter. Tonight after dinner I am going to make us some Hot Cocoa with Cayenne pepper :) Thanks for sharing the links. I have a book on snowflakes and incorporate that for a Sunday school lesson. The project I have the kids make is a snowflake window cling. Draw a snowflake on a piece of paper, slip the paper inside a ziploc bag and using puffed paint (I usually buy opalescent) trace the snowflake design onto the bag. Then sprinkle with white, snowy glitter. After it dries, the kids can carefully remove form the bag and place on a window. It's fun and the kids love it!

Winnie and Teri, I would LOVE to learn how to knit socks. I have only made simple items like scarves and shawls using a knit stitch :) Can you recommend any books or videos on how to learn?

Lori, stay warm!

Becky, I can also relate to the lack of freezing soups :) I try to make a double batch so I can freeze some. A couple of days ago I made this: http://www.food.com/recipe/irish-pub-beef-stew-11919
I doubled the Tomato Soup, Water and Sherry and it came out wonderful. I actually think I will be able to sneak some in the freezer. :)

Heather, beautiful photos. I have my cup in hand :) I love the snow covered pine trees and I just love Carey! I would love to have a cow some day. In the meantime, I was able to pet one of our neighbors Black Angus yearlings. It was so soft and cute!

Connie, what a blessing to have handmade socks and hat. My honey bought me a pair of handmade socks from etsy for my birthday and I love them :)

Emily, I love to organize in the winter too! It's also a time I can catch up on reading :) It sounds like you have some wonderful projects going on with your children. Good for you! They will remember this forever :)

Oh, it's starting to snow right now! Yay!!!! We have a nice fire in the woodstove and the throws are out on the sofa. Getting the candles and oil lamps ready for this evening :) Stay warm girls!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  4:45:31 PM  Show Profile
Happy Winter!! It has warmed up to 23 degrees- which feels like a heat wave compared to the past few days!! Natalie's birthday is tomorrow, so I am working on a cheesecake she wants for her birthday cake- she will be 17! Where or where have the years gone?

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  5:06:33 PM  Show Profile
Heather,
I know how very boring knitting can be when you are first learning, but I say this about everything practice makes perfect. And it really does. You dropped a stitch and did not see it until it was to late ... one thing you do have to learn in knitting is frogging ... LOL ... taking stitches back out. NOT FUN!
But let me share a little bit of wisdom with you, when I started knitting I was 20 years old. The older woman who taught me, told me to count, meaning every time you started a row count to the end. That way if you start with 24 stitches and count to the end you will know you still have 24 stitches. I like you was dropping stitches, but did not know it. She told me as I do a row count the stitches. seems boring and repetitive, but believe me it works, you will catch it right away. Also another thing to do is to try a scarf with a pattern, the reason is, it will teach you how with a pattern you won't be counting as much and you will see your mistakes RIGHT away. EVERY person who learns to knit makes mistakes, and drops stitches, that is how we get so good at fixing our mistakes ... LOL
I would suggest trying to do a pattern with increase and decrease, maybe some 2 needle mittens and i cord practice and then start knitting in the round. with 4 needles.

By this fall you will be making sock for Christmas gifts!

Nini,
if you already know how to knit and are a pretty good knitter, I would suggest an easy sock with worsted weight to start. The hardest part is the heel flap and turning the heel ... but you can go on line and take courses or youtube will show you just how to do it step by step.

I have a very SIMPLE sock pattern I can send you if you want.

Teri

www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  10:15:36 PM  Show Profile
Emily- My 10 yr old and I are also doing origami! He's got a book about Star Wars origami for Christmas and I made a goal to fold 1001 cranes this year! It's been going good so far!
Well, we are snuggled into our warm beds at night! We got some very soft and warm flannel sheets from my grandparents. They are the softest, warmest sheets I've ever owned! I wish we had a fireplace, but we have plenty of warm, fuzzy socks. My favorite drink of choice during the winter is called "Woman's Monthly Comfort." It has cinnamon in it and it's the perfect drink to warm up with! Don't let the name fool you though, my boys really enjoy drinking it as well! Just don't tell them I told you that! LOL!!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2014 :  11:09:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh the joy of winter!!

We are at the line of 2 townships so they both use our driveway to turn around. The first truck seemed to forget where the driveway actually is this morning and tried to turn around in the yard! He got stuck. While my hubby was out with him trying to figure out the best way to pull him out the second township plow came by. He pulled him out faster than we could have! Hopefully they will remember where the driveway is next time. LOL!!

Teri - I'm going to keep at it! I'm working on dishcloth #2 right now. It's a knit 2 pearl 2 all the way to the end pattern. So far all my stitches are still there and no extras :) It even looks like it's supposed to so I know that I've knitted and pearled in the right places. I'm not sure I'm ready for 4 needles. That sounds a bit intimidating. I just want to make things that I can use so that I will want to keep at it. I love the idea of kitting a bad for my supplies Winnie.

I have one of Winnie's hats too. From my 2nd swap! It got a lot of use this year! I won't wear it to the barn though. It's too cute for that! I don't want to stain it. I can't find anything that will wash out cow manure!

How hard is it to knit wrist warmers? I want a pair, but I don't want to get too far ahead of my self and get overwhelmed.

Well, I think it's a great time for a hot cocoa or a tea - I haven't decided. I need to go switch the laundry anyway. That'll give me a minute to decide.

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Holidays: Previous Topic Celebrate: ~*~WINTER~*~ Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page