Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2013 :  10:57:12 AM  Show Profile
Our refrigerator's freezer was packed to the gills with odds and ends. I wanted to clean it out, but not toss it. I took it all out and made a master list for menu planning.

Chicken pieces and assorted vegetable? A big pot of soup.
A cup of refried beans? Quesadillas instead of sandwiches with the soup.
Leftover pumpkin pie filling? Baked as pudding without a crust.
Frozen leftover turkey and garden peppers? Turkey fajitas.

The grocery list for the week was milk, tuna and catfood for our two buddies.

Can you get by for a week with little or no extra purchases?
Does it prompt you to try something new or something you haven't thought of before?

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2013 :  11:28:37 AM  Show Profile
Susan - I'm right there with you... 'Told my guys last week that, other than milk, soap and dog food, if we don't have it or can't make it out of what we have, we're going without. We are very blessed to have this abundance - I've been slowly stocking up over the past year, and it's time to clean house... I'm kind of excited to see how it goes! I wonder how far into the New Year it will take us! :)

Cheers!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2013 :  11:47:56 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Susan,
That is so funny. While my husband was away at work last night, I too went through our freezer and organized what we had. I too put a limit on what we shall buy and I make a lot of soups with whatever I have on hand. Grocery bill will be less than $100 a month if I can help that. We make our own bread, get our vegetables from the garden. Living in Florida we have year round gardening. And my DH works for two farms learning all about CSA farm life so we can start our own in the near future. So we don't need much which is good. My freezer needs to be defrosted so I want to use what we have. Thanks for starting this thread. I am up to the challenge right along with you.
Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  3:46:35 PM  Show Profile
Our method so far has worked pretty well for us! We eat dinner leftovers for lunch the next day. And, if by some rare chance, there isn't enough, then I'll make soup. But for the last four months, we've done pretty well using everything we've purchased! Another thing I really like to do is scramble everything in eggs and serve with tortilla chips! Makes for very easy mornings!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  5:37:48 PM  Show Profile
I was just debating whether or not to throw away some pudding mix from my pantry tonight. No expiration date but I know it is at least four years old. Does it go bad?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Use it up challenge Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page