Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 My name is Farmgirl Suzanne and I'm a seedaholic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic My name is Farmgirl Suzanne and I'm a seedaholic Next Topic  

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2013 :  5:47:32 PM  Show Profile
I saved seeds meticulously from my garden last year...I made great and copious trades at a seed swap...I happily took extra seeds that were offered from my gardening friends and I ordered a ton of new ones during all those holiday free shipping and discount offers and deep down I still kind of want more!

I realized today I am a hardcore seedaholic and love - nearly to the point of mania - to spend any spare winter moment going over them and making lists and garden plans.

I just can't think of anything more exhilirating in winter than to look at your seed stores and imagine all it will be come Spring and Summer.

Anyone the same?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

"A [wo]man is rich in proportion to the number of things which [s]he can afford to let alone." - Henry David Thoreau

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5100 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5100 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2013 :  6:34:52 PM  Show Profile
Seeds! Thinking and planning my garden gets me thru the Winter! I am on a smaller scale than I use to be, but still love it!!! I am tilling up a new area this year too, I cannot wait!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3936 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3936 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2013 :  8:50:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah! Especially the herb seeds. Man I could look at those all day long. I once went on a 4 hour herb seed and uses bender on the internet. Good times!

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  06:17:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I just spend so much time going through my seed store box and diagramming all the ways I could fit in as much as possible in the growing space I have - and I always come up shoet and have to do it again, but I love it. My husband lovingly teases me that it's my "garden crazies" I get every winter! But boy does he love all that effort come harvest time!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

"A [wo]man is rich in proportion to the number of things which [s]he can afford to let alone." - Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  07:44:35 AM  Show Profile
January 2nd, I'm right there with you, Suzanne! I have a tiny little postage stamp of a back yard, but I have what friends say is the "world's most amazing seed collection" of saved and bought seeds, and I fit as many of them as possible in my little raised garden beds. It's such an exciting thing! And I love drawing the diagrams and pictures of what I think the garden will look like as everything grows... My friends laugh that I go to such detail, but they're also the first ones here to see "what's going on with the garden" with the hope of tasting something organically good, fresh from the vines. LOL!

Enjoy yourself, sister! This season of planning is half the fun!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3078 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3078 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2013 :  11:35:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm waiting for my own place to start my own garden (right now I live on my in-laws place). My in-laws share their garden with me, but it's not the same. I ordered a HUGE (~ $200) garden collection 2 years ago because I thought we were moving. I've been using a few each year. I do have my garden all papered out and get catalogs every year. I just don't have the garden yet!! I can't wait to start saving my own seeds too. I do have quite the marigold seed stockpile though. I started it 3 years ago. It's so fun and rewarding.

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2013 :  11:58:44 AM  Show Profile
Nini - you shouldn't be so modest about your gardening genius - I have read all your wonderful posts in the past on what you grow and you must be a master at making optimum use of the space you have! That's awesome!

Heather - always nice to meet a sister Ohio Farmgirl! As Nini wrote, planning your garden is half the fun - so keep planning, even if you don't have the space of your own yet. I used to plan out gardens for almost two solid years when my husband and I were first married and lived in an apartment before we bought our house. I had so much fun dreamin and planning it when I didn't even know what our future yard would look like. Although, I will say, all that reading and planning gave me great prep for picking out a house with a yard that would allow for a garden - of course, now I want us to expand it to twice the size because I want to grow so much more!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  06:33:00 AM  Show Profile
Im farmgirl Tiana, and ill bring the coffee and donuts to our meetings.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hodge-Lodge-Clothesline/285366378259342

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2014 :  05:38:06 AM  Show Profile
LOL, Suzanne! I had to giggle when I saw the title of this post. I am with you on this! Can't wait for spring, and I love the thought of seedlings back in the garden.

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2014 :  2:58:39 PM  Show Profile
Ah, Nicole and Tiana - more Farmgirls after my own heart! I just finished plotting out (on paper) my seeds trays and then - NOT JOKING - bought 3 more seeds packets and had to replan the whole thing!! I really do have an addiction - at least it's a happy, productive one! Now, if only I could stop scaring my husband when he sees my garden notes and yells things like, "Holey Moley! You're planting 40 tomatoes AND 30 eggplants this year?!?! Wha...?!" Then I have to further scare then I further freak him out by sheepishly adding, "Ahh..and 15 sweet peppers and 12 chili peppers and 8 zucchini and 10 cucumbers and 4 rows of beets and..." Then I watch him turn pale trying to figure out how much more deer fencing he will have to put up this year! Not to mention the dirt hauling and such. But trust me, come harvest time no one is happier than my hubby to be eating super fresh produce right out of our own backyard!!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2014 :  5:58:30 PM  Show Profile

Suzanne...there is nothing better than fresh produce :)I love anything to do with the garden...don't have a huge garden like we had when I was growing up...but I love fresh things to put away for Fall and Winter...I have found that a dehydrator is a girls best friend...we make dried half runner beans here in the south...some people call them "shuck beans"...and fresh corn in the freezer and canned tomatoes for homemade soups and chili...we love canned green beans too...yummmmmmmy :):):)unsure when we are going to be able to plant here...seems as if Ole Man Winter is never going to leave :):):)Your topic has brought back so many sweet memories of growing up...gardening was a family affair...seems as if everyone looked so forward to begin planting...like it was never a chore...hope all your gardening goes well this year :):):)

Hugs!

Judy

PLANT SEEDS OF KINDNESS EVERYWHERE YOU GO!!!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  05:13:28 AM  Show Profile
Suzanne,

Yesterday I went to an organic store just to buy ONE THING...came out with ten more packs of seeds! ;) The little display in the front of the store just kept calling to me...

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  05:28:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Nicole - I know that siren call of "just a few more seeds" all too well! Ha!! It's hard to resist a lovely little envelope of miracles, isn't it? Even when you have an entire portable mini filing case already bursting to capacity with them - as I do. But how wonderful and amazing it is to see them as full grown plants in your garden all summer - breathtaking!

What did you end up buying at the store?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic My name is Farmgirl Suzanne and I'm a seedaholic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page