musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  6:26:51 PM  Show Profile
We always have chili on Christmas Eve and I just haven't found the perfect recipe yet. I need something that can simmer all day in the crockpot and I need three versions. (They can be completely different recipes) We need: spicy, mild and vegetarian. So...what you've got????

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  7:47:03 PM  Show Profile
Hey Wendy,

Here is one of ours:

Meat Lovers Chili

3 slices bacon, chopped
1 pound Italian Sausage (Mild or hot)
1 pound Ground Beef
2 medium onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
2 (16 ounce) cans Italian Tomatoes (I used regular 1 crushed & 1 diced and added 1 tsp. oregano)
1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
1 Tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¾ cup cooking sherry (optional, but does make a difference)

Fry the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove the bacon to a bowl with a slotted spoon, discarding the pan drippings. Add the sausage, ground beef, onions, garlic and jalapeno to the skillet. Cook over medium heat until the sausage and ground beef is brown and crumbly; stirring constantly; drain. Spoon sausage mixture into a slow cooker sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.

Add the bacon, undrained tomatoes, undrained kidney beans, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard and black pepper to the slow cooker and mix well. Cook on low for 8-14 hours or until of the desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Stir in cooking sherry just before serving. Ladle into soup bowls.

Yield: 6 servings

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Dec 20 2013 7:48:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  8:53:10 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhh, that sounds so good!Going to have to try that recipe. Thanks for sharing! :)

~ Betty ~
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  10:47:11 PM  Show Profile
It all depends on where you come from! Unfortunately, I don't have a recipe (it's different every single time I make it!), but I will tell you that I've been using beef stock instead of water and it has made a huge difference in the depth of flavor. The other thing I make sure of is that I have a true chili powder. Some are a blend, and use more salt and paprika than anything. I also always use chili beans and I love garlic, so 3-4 big cloves go in. Don't forget the spice! We use cayenne...or adobo, which adds a smoky flavor. It all depends on what I have on hand. Noone ever turns my chili down, but again, no recipe. Just go by what feels right and what's in the cabinet :) These things I've mentioned are a must, though. The only constant!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Dec 20 2013 10:48:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2013 :  03:59:36 AM  Show Profile
I can tell you what we do to "enhance" most basic recipes:

Use at least one bottle of beer (we like Coors George Killian's Red) to replace some of the liquid added, stir in several tablespoons of red cider vinegar and brown sugar for a little zip and a sweet note and lots of sautéed garlic.

I have a friend who adds some Mexican chocolate to hers - not much - and that adds a depth to the flavor that you'd never guess was chocolate but most people really like.
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2013 :  2:43:02 PM  Show Profile
Oooh, thanks for the recipe. Definitely different with all that meat in there for the carnivores in my family. I'll be trying some of those little "add ins" also. I'm thinking we'll do it a couple of different ways and people can just have the kind they like best.

Still on a hunt for a yummy veggie one!

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2013 :  8:23:16 PM  Show Profile
Try adding a few tablespoons of finely ground roasted coffee beans. Yes. Really.
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2013 :  9:34:40 PM  Show Profile
I'm like Jonni - no recipe. I usually use a combination of beans, I like black, white, and red beans. I really like to put a can of hominy in too, it adds a nice flavor and texture. I use whatever tomatoes I happen to have, diced, stewed, or crushed. I like spicy but not hot, I use a little chile powder and I have a new chipotle chile pepper with a very nice flavor but a little kick so I only use a small amount. I like to add cumin and smoky paprika, it adds a lot of flavor but no heat. I always use garlic, onions, a little vinegar, some oregano, and sometimes a pinch of sugar. I usually put in a little brewed coffee and some red wine.

Chili is one of those things that I think tastes better the next day so I always make enough to have leftovers.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  07:43:52 AM  Show Profile
There are some good ideas here!
A few years ago I discovered these super delicious winter squash at a local farm stand here; they are grey, about 18 in long, with a rough surface. They are SOO sweet, and I pureed about 5 of them and store in the freezer in 2 cup bags.
Well, I added a bag to my chili once, and I cannot begin to tell you how nice it makes it. The texture thickens it and the flavour adds a nice sweetness that is not over the top. It makes for a super hardy chili that is good for you too! I think that would work well in a vegetarian chili for sure.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  10:42:36 PM  Show Profile
I love a little splash of black coffee in my sausage gravy, but have never tried in in chili! Will now. We come from an area that has a "Greek" twist on chili--1, it's over spaghetti and 2) it has chocolate and cinnamon in it. I only like one family recipe here (Dixie) but the most famous is Skyline or Gold Star, though I could not tell you why. I like beans and onions in my chili, but not green pepper. Just a thing.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Give me your best chili recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page