Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 SAT or ACT? What Is Your Opinion?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic SAT or ACT? What Is Your Opinion? Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2013 :  10:06:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

We're getting ready to schedule my son's college testing this spring. What are your personal opinions and insights about the SAT and ACT?

Thanks so much -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2013 :  4:49:57 PM  Show Profile
In the dark ages some colleges would only accept a certain one no idea if that has changed.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6611 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6611 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  06:02:09 AM  Show Profile
Nini,I suggest you call the high school guidance department for the best option. It may depend on where he plans to apply. In the past the younger grades took ACT to prepare for the College admission SAT test. That may have changed now so best to ask and get the latest information.

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2013 :  11:13:47 PM  Show Profile
I did both. I think it depends on which colleges he is applying for. Definitely check with his guidance counsellor :)

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2013 :  09:27:42 AM  Show Profile
I agree - check with the counselor. I took both. My son is 13 and is planning on joining the military. I spoke with a recruiter last week about him because of his Asperger's. He said that as long as he graduates HS and isn't on any meds - he should be good to go. The kid would wear camo everyday if I let him.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2013 :  4:19:09 PM  Show Profile
Out our school the kids usually do better on the ACT. I agree check with the counselor. There is a college in Georgia that takes a super score: highest in math on either test plus highest on verbal on either test. No matter which he chooses, he should take practice tests on-line. We have a site called GA411 for college information including links to ACT and SAT, college applications, career testing, etc. See if your state has the same.

Blessings,

Carol
Farmgirl 1823

Sow what you want to reap.
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  10:32:11 AM  Show Profile
I personally bombed my PSATs, and I was a straight A kind of student. Then I took my ACT and got a really good score. I didn't waste time or money on taking the SAT when the practice one came out so bad. I have heard since then that some kids do better on one or the other. I agree with everyone else, find out from the guidance counselor, or if he knows what college he wants to go to, find out from the admissions person which they prefer.

Curly's Quilts
My website:
www.curlysquilts.weebly.com
My Etsy shop:
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
My Farmmade shop:
http://www.farmmade.com/store/curly-s-quilts

Farmgirl #5076
I am a recyclin, home schoolin', home grown, hand sewn kinda farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page

eatdrinkbemary
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Mary
Indianapolis IN
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2013 :  07:55:57 AM  Show Profile
Take both. Colleges often prefer one test over another, especially more selective private schools. It's pretty standard to have both scores at the ready for the admission's department.

"Always dwelling in possibility."
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2014 :  2:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for your input, girls. I really, really appreciate it! You have all been so very helpful. :) The guidance counselor said it doesn't really matter which he takes because most colleges accept either test nowadays. His private evaluator said she personally thinks our son would do better on the ACT. The schools he is looking at pretty much accept either one, so I guess we're okay. It'd be a whole lot easier to choose if he knew for sure what he wants to study after high school! Ugh... this really IS stressful, isn't it?! We'll survive... we'll survive....

Thanks again!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  5:41:04 PM  Show Profile
If the rules haven't changed (Who knows? It was almost 40 years ago!) there are some scholarships like the National Merit Scholarship that are based only on PSATs or SATs. If your child would be eligible for one of them it might influence your decision.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic SAT or ACT? What Is Your Opinion? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page