Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Quilt pattern recommendations for a NEWBIE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt pattern recommendations for a NEWBIE Next Topic  

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2013 :  11:50:03 AM  Show Profile
OK Quilters, I am being an "advice hog" today, but a visit to a wonderful new quilt shop brought several new fabrics in to my life : ) Imagine that?

So here are pieces I bought, having no idea what I will do with them except turn them in to a quilt at some point in time.

With some other fabric I am working on my very first actual quilt, which is a "fire escape" pattern. To this point I have only done little home decor things like place mats, potholders, and a boatload of very fun aprons. It is time to tackle a for real quilt.

So while getting some fabric for Christmas gifts, I came across the following collection, which reminded me so much of my mom's mom that I had to get a bunch of it immediately.

If I want to show off the lovely patterns and colors in small pieces but not overly-complicated tiny pieces, what quilt pattern would you experts recommend?

There are so many patterns out there that my head is spinning, and I am hoping you'll know now that suits the fabric plus suits the skills of a beginner.

Thanks in advance.

Isn't it just happy?

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3931 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3931 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2013 :  12:21:58 PM  Show Profile
How about a Dresden Plate or a fan? The colors can all be displayed in one plate or fan or pick two or three to make all different plates and fans.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  05:33:27 AM  Show Profile
did the quilt shop have any samples made up with this fabric? Ask the girls for some advice. If you have never done a quilt before, I would go with a simple nine-patch or Irish chain pattern. You will get the hang of piecing, layering and quilting without getting overwhelmed in any one area.

The fabric has a very vintage feel to it. Stick with a classic pattern.

Good luck
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

QuiltyMom
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jan
Falls Church VA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  07:36:28 AM  Show Profile
A very basic pattern would be the Rail Fence. It's what I would use to teach my Beginning Quilting students, What's nice about it is you can do whatever you want with it, either simple or complex. The basic block consist of three strips of fabric, made to be a square. Usually there are two or three different fabrics used. So, it's all machine piecing in straight lines. It will give you the basic skills of piecing blocks and the sewing them together into a quilt.

Check out this search for different images of the quilt - it'll give you a good idea of what can be done:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rail+fence+quilt&id=C20CE463363F99F7FD806F9BF400927CA78FA4A0&FORM=IQFRBA

Edited by - QuiltyMom on Dec 07 2013 07:36:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  07:44:05 AM  Show Profile
Cindy beautiful fabrics. Jan just the one I was going to suggest. Or something with a disappearing 9 patch.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  08:44:47 AM  Show Profile
Ladies,

Thank you for all the recommendations - I will be hitting the interwebs today for some research with the patterns you suggest. I am not just overwhelmed with the number of different patterns out there, but the variations within each pattern. I had no idea even where to start, so you have helped significantly.

With appreciation-
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

QuiltyMom
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jan
Falls Church VA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  4:31:23 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I saw a lovely rail fence once that was made into a larger 9 Patch! It was just stunning. I never would've though of doing that, I'm so totally by the book!
Go to Top of Page

QuiltyMom
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jan
Falls Church VA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  4:32:00 PM  Show Profile
Diana, I saw a lovely rail fence once that was made into a larger 9 Patch! It was just stunning. I never would've though of doing that, I'm so totally by the book.

Edited by - QuiltyMom on Dec 07 2013 4:32:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

bluebellequilts
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Teresa
Georgia
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  04:12:20 AM  Show Profile
Yellow Brick Road from Atkinson Designs might also be another good choice.

I agree that the Rail Fence pattern is a good beginning pattern.

There's another pattern from 3-6-9 designs that's easy as well.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras
Farmgirl #1357
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  4:05:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh Teresa- I love the Yellow Brick Road- GREAT suggestion!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  6:21:58 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Jan. And those fabrics are AWESOME!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, a bunny, 1 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2014 :  5:29:11 PM  Show Profile
My first quilt was a pattern called Turning Twenty that was made with 20 fat quarters. It was a simple pattern but very pretty when it was finished. I used fabrics similar to yours.

Good luck!
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

My blog: finallyafarmgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

SunnyJam
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Jamie
Seattle WA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2014 :  11:45:44 AM  Show Profile
Ooh, I'm intrigued by the Turning Twenty! I've been nervous to attempt a quilt, but that sounds like it might be just my speed. :)

Farmgirl Sister #2504
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2014 :  12:55:03 PM  Show Profile

Hope this worked - this is a picture of the cover of the pattern booklet for Turning Twenty.

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2014 :  12:57:13 PM  Show Profile
Have to tell all you quilters a funny story about making this quilt. Since it was my first attempt, I laid out all the pieces on my bed and called my friend (an expert quilter) to come over and look at it to see if I had everything in the right place before I started pinning and stitching. It was a very hot day, so I reached up and turned the ceiling fan on - you can imagine what happened to my beautifully placed quilt pieces. My friend laughed so hard when she got there - then helped me put it all back in place again.

beekeepersgirl #691

Go to Top of Page

SunnyJam
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Jamie
Seattle WA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  11:46:35 AM  Show Profile
That's too funny, Luanne! (And totally sounds like something I would do...)

Farmgirl Sister #2504
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2014 :  8:03:58 PM  Show Profile
I was going to say the turning twenty also. the pieces are bigger than the rail fence and it makes a larger quilt but a very simple pattern!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2014 :  1:52:16 PM  Show Profile
Scrumptious by Bonnie & Camille - such a lovely line. I have it at the shoppe. Camille designed a lovely pattern to go with that line that is somewhat simple to construct called Surfside. It uses layer cakes but I found the 10" squares to be to small for her cutting requirements. Camille's instructions are easy to follow and the quilt construction is fairly simple, consisting of rows of squares, 4 patch and half square triangles. It makes a lap/twin size quilt. Here is a picture of the top.

Yes, turning 20, rail fence and the yellow brick road are also good options. I prefer the YBR myself, it's my go to pattern when I need a quick quilt for a baby etc... makes a great I spy quilt. It's lovely in Batiks.

Have fun choosing your pattern!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2014 :  10:35:11 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree with Yellow Brick Road. I've seen it done in flour sack reprints and it looks lovely. So fast and easy too.

Curly's Quilts
My website:
www.curlysquilts.weebly.com
My Etsy shop:
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
My Farmmade shop:
http://www.farmmade.com/store/curly-s-quilts

Farmgirl #5076
I am a recyclin, home schoolin', home grown, hand sewn kinda farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt pattern recommendations for a NEWBIE Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page