Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Bias tape/binding trick - pitfalls?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Bias tape/binding trick - pitfalls? Next Topic  

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2013 :  05:07:47 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies and specifically quilters:

I learned a neat new trick yesterday for making binding easier to apply to the edge of a sewing project. It worked really well - a little too well - which makes me wonder what will go wrong with it later and/or should I continue to use this trick or not?

A fabulous blog instructed using a GLUE STICK on the binding fabric to hold it in place once you've sewn it to the right side and turned it around to the other side. I was making a potholder with multiple layers of fabric, batting, InsulBright and what felt like a small mattress in there, too, and pinning the somewhat narrow turned binding on the edge wasn't working.

I tried the glue stick trick - apply to the fabric then "set" it with a moderate iron - and it kept everything in place for topstitching with a walking foot. Easy peasy lemon squeezie!

For anyone else who has tried this - any problems with the glue showing up later through the fabric, discolorations, etc?

Hopefully a picture of the potholder will show. I am so bad at attaching photos!

Thanks,
Cindy

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2013 :  05:10:54 AM  Show Profile
In case it is too hard to see from that picture (hooray - it loaded!) that is a hilarious scatter print with an aerial view of fat little hens : ) The ruffle has beautiful brown eggs on it, and the back part of the whole thing is chicken wire print. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

The pattern and instructions are on that wonderful NanaCompany blog - this is called the "pretty little potholder" and hers are much more ornate and incredible.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2013 :  07:16:40 AM  Show Profile
As long as water soluble glue is used I believe no problem should occur.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2013 :  07:26:47 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Cute potholder!
I haven't tried that, but might just do that even it's one a "test" potholder that I can use and try out to see what happens.
Did you use a specific brand glue stick?
Thanks!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2013 :  08:34:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Cindy for sharing that. I went to her blog and read through the tutorial. What great tips! I'm going to do some and share her instructions with my chapter. I subscribed because I love her style and how she shares. I noticed she's using fabric glue stick. Really great idea.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2013 :  10:14:36 AM  Show Profile
A bog OOPS! I missed the word "fabric" in front of "glue stick". Since the binding on my project is black, I am not going to worry about it this time, but will read things more closely next time.

One potentially important correction to the NanaCompany instructions - she talks about using TWO layers of InsulBright together, and the manufacturer clearly states the product is intended to be used with a layer of cotton batting.

That blog is really, really nice. Her taste in fabrics and projects is extremely appealing, plus her photography style makes it all very warm and inviting. I really enjoy her site.
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2013 :  11:42:57 AM  Show Profile
A tiny bit of sniffing around on amazon shows both Dritz and Clover brand fabric glue sticks. Looks like a perfect use for a 40% off any on item coupon at JoAnns, right?
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2013 :  3:42:47 PM  Show Profile
Today when I was shopping at Joanns, I ran across a quilter friend who also shared she uses two layers of Insul-Brite because she doesn't want to be burned. One layer didn't work for her. So....It might be worth trying to do it with two. I did find the fabric glue stick and lots of ribbon to finish another project. There's just one little problem with this whole project......the potholders she made are so darn cute, I'd hate to use them!!! I am going to make a couple for daughter. She's in a new place and needs kitchen stuff. She's short on everything in her kitchen. Potholders will be welcome.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Bias tape/binding trick - pitfalls? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page