Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 best gluten free flour to use and where to buy it
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic best gluten free flour to use and where to buy it Next Topic  

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2013 :  1:05:47 PM  Show Profile
I am wanting to swap out wheat for gluten free flour. I have been looking at coconut, almond flour. I noticed they are super duper pricey. I do not want to use soy flour. I know there are other ones but I am just starting to research and figure out how to use these flours.

I have never used a gluten free flour for baking before.What do you all find to be the best ones to use?

Do any of you ladies know of the best place to purchase these flours ? I was looking on honeyville grain and I was shocked at the prices is this the going price for these flours? I have been buying my own wheat for years and grinding it and its not nearly as high as these and I guess I cannot grind my own when it comes to coconut or almond flour.

I purchsed the book Nourishing traditions along with Wild Fermentation. The Nourishing Traditions book is blowing my mind. I am learning so much and really am interested in changing the way we eat. We already have freerange eggs and natural beef and milk and other stuff. But this book is really making me want to change way more.

Anyway if anyone has a decent resource for these flours or a really good bread recipe to replace my wholewheat bread I am all ears.

My poor brain is spinning from all the info from these books and I have never used any of these flours before.I hope they taste good and really want to get some right away to try a muffin recipe first. I figure this would be the easiest one first. Thanks for any help, info or suggestions.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Nov 12 2013 5:41:23 PM

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2013 :  5:48:09 PM  Show Profile
Linda
I know my Aunt Joan bakes with mostly spelt flour.
It is likely to get expensive, no matter what you use, with the rate that your guys eat bread!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2013 :  7:15:54 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane has a gluten free budget mix too! I use the regular budget mix all the time and I love it! I would definitely check it out , and I am sure if you have specific questions you could email or call the farms they are always so helpful.

Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2013 :  05:21:41 AM  Show Profile
Linda,

Most gluten free baking is done with multiple flours. Brown rice, tapioca, potato, sorghum, buckwheat etc. As for cost, brown rice is not too bad. I grind my own almond flour. I suggest finding some recipes to start There is an almond flour cook book that is pretty good. These all cook very different from wheat so start small. I have a cookie recipe I'll try to dig up.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2013 :  06:21:00 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, spelt has gluten in it.

The best flour I have found is Gluten Free Pantry All Purpose Flour. It comes pre-blended. It's not cheap, but relatively inexpensive. Also, be sure to read your recipe that your subbing in gluten free flour. If the recipe says flour, baking powder/soda and salt, try using Pamela's Pancake and Baking mix for the flour and eliminate the baking powder/soda and salt. We get our Pamela's in a 3-pack of large bags on Amazon. The Gluten Free Pantry flour is available on Amazon, too.

Short on both? You can use a GF pie crust mix. I've also learned to use GF cake mixes to make cookies and more. You can read them on my blog, or buy my cookbook.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, a bunny, 1 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2013 :  10:43:30 AM  Show Profile
Laurie I will check out MJ budget mix and see what that cost. I am trying to stay non gmo with these grains. I know that will cost even more.

Laurie when you grind your own almond flour do you just grind plain almonds? I didn't know if there was a special process for this. Also do you use a regular grain mill for grinding almond flour and does it clog it up? I have no idea about any of this stuff and I thank all of you for helping me with this.

Ann I will check out your blog too. Thanks so much. I have so much to learn and have not had much time on the computer to research.

Do you all like the way the gluten free baked goods taste? I have never tried anything gluten free except crackers.... I know not much of an experience there....lol. But I have to say they taste great with hummus.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2013 :  06:47:05 AM  Show Profile
We've been hit or miss on the baked goods. Some of them don't "bake right", some of them have sandy texture from all the rice flour. Others are better than their gluten counterparts.

After I got off the computer yesterday, I thought about your bread dilemma. The best bread that I've found for home baking is either Gluten Free Pantry mix or Breads from Anna. In fact, I love the Breads from Anna mixes for a LOT of stuff! When you go to the blog, read about how I turn her pie crust into roll out cookies.

Best of luck on your new gluten free journey!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, a bunny, 1 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1496 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1496 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2013 :  7:44:54 PM  Show Profile
I generally use Bob's Redmill GF Flour mix when I don't have time to mix my own. They sell it in the organic section at most grocery stores in my area. Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet books have recipes for mixing several of your own GF flour mixes that I've been very happy with. It takes some practice to find the right combination of grain flavors for your tastebuds and to get the hang of baking with GF flours, xanthan gum and other ingredients but it's worth the experimentation. Good luck on your new journey!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Nov 15 2013 7:49:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2013 :  06:31:26 AM  Show Profile
Hey Linda
I was placing an order with Vitacost & they have a ton of gluten free baking mixes and some of it is on a special sale right now.(bobs red mill I think) The good thing about them, is that you can read a ton of reviews, and anything over $49 ships free. They have SOO many products; it doesn't take long. I get all of my coconut oil, Braggs, deodorant, you name it there.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2013 :  3:13:41 PM  Show Profile
I have found that gluten free flours are more pricey than wheat flour though once I found a 50 lb. bag of white rice flour for $25 from a local store. Like was mentioned above, you do need to use more than one kind of flour. King Arthur Flour has gluten free recipes on their website including a gluten free flour mix recipe. Some of my regular recipes have been fine when substituting flours and others haven't been so great. Mennonite Girls Can Cook has a blog with quite a few gluten free recipes. They have yeast bread recipes that I am anxious to try. I have used the Bob's Red Mill mix but I still like it better when mixed with another flour or two. Coconut flour has a coconut taste and is quite heavy in recipes. I have used it in muffins and cookies with success when used with other flours.

Hope this was helpful and good luck!

Kim
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2013 :  5:49:56 PM  Show Profile
I will be checking out Vita cost when my company is not here.I just received a King Authur flour catalog today and was just checking out there flours. Thanks ladies I really appreciate all this help and I am checking out each and everyone. I am slowly learning thanks to you ladies.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2013 :  7:01:28 PM  Show Profile
To grind the flour I just use the Magic Bullet. It can be a little coarser at times, but it works for cakes really well.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2013 :  09:21:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Lisa I just put an order in with Vitacost today and my shipping was free. I order many of the gluten free flours and Charlie's laundry detergent. I also ordered dried elderberries to make the gluten free recipe on woolymoss roots website. Its a recipe for elderberry applesauce muffins using gluten free flour. I can't wait to get my stuff.

Thankyou ladies for all your help. I still need to get a recipe book that has good recipes and explains the uses of the different flours and how to combine them. Its a bit overwhelming trying to learn all this stuff.My head is spinning on overload.I feel like such a greenhorn.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Nov 19 2013 09:23:32 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic best gluten free flour to use and where to buy it Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page