Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic In LOVE with this cookbook Next Topic  

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2013 :  10:07:20 AM  Show Profile
Early this year I discovered a simple recipe for San Marzano tomato sauce; a can of good San Marzanos, an onion peeled and cut in half, and 5T butter. Cook for about 30 minutes, discard onion, (or eat it LOL) and serve over pasta. So delicate, light and simple!
Well, the credit for the recipe was to Marcella Hazan, whom I have since learned is quite respected for her knowledge of Italian cooking.
Her book, "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking" is absolutely fabulous. The recipes are vast, and cover every food group.
Some are SOOO simple, like the one above, and one I am perusing today for "Sweet and Sour Onions", while some are complicated and enticing
"Calf Liver Wrapped in Caul" (yes I love liver)
There truly is something for everyone in this book, and I have decided to keep it at my desk while I work for last minute dinner ideas.
Last night I made her Bolognese sauce, and I was surprised at how little tomato was in it; the sauce is just a medley of flavors. It called for cooking at least 3 hrs, which I didn't do (shame on me, we eat so late) It was still so full of several flavors, and I can only imagine if it was simmered for 6 hrs.
Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend this book. You will not be disappointed.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

693 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
693 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2013 :  10:31:04 AM  Show Profile
I have this book also. Love it. Sometimes I just read it as a book. I haven't used it in a while for recipes but think I will do so again. Marcella had a cooking show on TV some time back. I really miss that.

Patsy
Farmgirl 4678

Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2013 :  04:44:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh! That sounds really good, Lisa'! I'll have to find that to add to my collection, too! I do remember her show, Patsy - you're right! She was pretty amazing. Made everything look so easy and delicious! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

eatdrinkbemary
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Mary
Indianapolis IN
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2013 :  06:08:41 AM  Show Profile
I have that book. Sadly, Marcella Hazan died just a few weeks ago. She's legendary in the culinary world.

Always dwelling in possibility.
Go to Top of Page

Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

693 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
693 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2013 :  08:15:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh, so sad.

Patsy
Farmgirl 4678

Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic In LOVE with this cookbook Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page