wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  06:27:46 AM  Show Profile

Today is a very special day for me as I am a proud daughter of a World War II Veteran...my father served in WWII and was so proud of the fact that he got to spend time overseas in service to his country...my father was a very simple man with a great love for his family...he worked a full time job...farmed...raising tobacco for extra money in the 1950's and up until the 1970's...raised animals and a huge garden every year...I sometimes wonder how he put so much into each day and still had so much time for his family...he shared many stories with me and my brother and sister and our mother about his time overseas...every time he would see the Eiffel Tower on TV he would talk about walking under it...it was amazing to us that daddy could have ever been so far away from home...I had other family members to serve overseas...an uncle in WWII and cousins in Vietnam and Korea...one cousin got a purple heart while in the Vietnam war and my uncle was shot down and had to leave the service because of his injuries...back then there was so much worry as I remember my grandmother talking about it...there was no cell phones and internet and it was weeks before they got a letter from the hospital in California telling how my uncle was doing...as much as we try to imagine...I don't think we could ever understand the sacrifices that the Veterans and those in the military now have given to keep our country safe...I pray blessings and safety on the soldiers that are away from their families in distant lands...God Bless the Veterans...the soldiers who stand in our defense at the present and God Bless The USA...

Hugs!

Judy

THERE IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  06:57:16 AM  Show Profile
My life almost mirrored yours. My dad also served in WWII. We heard a lot of stories. Though it was later in life that he talked about the bad. He talked of Bob Hope and him talking to him. Talking to Patton he asked my dad if he was scared, daddy said yes I'm scared. Patton turned to him and said Me too! Driver for a General for a little while. So many more. When he got back home He also raised tobacco, garden, hunted, fish, sold milk. Got married ,had three kids. Passed from this life in 2005 at age 93. My dad lived a life that he loved. Lived on the same dirt road all his life.
I pray for all the military that serving this country and to their families.

Hugs Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  08:21:29 AM  Show Profile
God Bless our Veterans and the one who made the ultimate sacrifice. They get our prayers today and everyday. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5147 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5147 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  11:43:53 AM  Show Profile
Judy and Marlee loved reading the stories! Thank you to all our vets! We love you! Missing my Step-dad today. he served in the U.S. Army 8 years.

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  12:09:12 PM  Show Profile

I love the old photos...have one of my father but can't yet get photos to post:(:(:(

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  4:01:13 PM  Show Profile
May God bless our Veterans, young and old, alive and in Heaven, and their loved ones. Such tremendous gifts of love and sacrifice! May they always be remembered, may their stories always be told. I am grateful to every single one.

Since we are honoring our Veterans today, I thought you all might enjoy this heartwarming story featured on the local news today: http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/woman-finds-several-letter-world-war-ii-soldier-at/nbpc4/ This young woman found several letters written by a WWII Veteran in her attic, then went to great lengths to return them to his family. Such a lovely, lovely story.

God bless America! God bless us, every one1

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  5:31:19 PM  Show Profile

Nini,

I have letters my father sent to my mother when he was in WWII...they were just "courting" then not married until 1947...it's things like this that I treasure...

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2890 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2890 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  5:46:50 PM  Show Profile
I called my 84 YO stepdad tonight and thanked him for his service. He was a bit taken aback, but told me he loved me. I told him the same. He served multiple tours after he lost his brother in the Korean war.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  7:37:12 PM  Show Profile

Lisa,

How thoughtful of you...I know your call had to make his day as he spent so many years in service to his country...

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic In Honor of the Veterans... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page