emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  5:22:40 PM  Show Profile
I need to tap into your feline expertise....
My dear, loving, but very independent tortoise shell calico (if you have a tsc, you know what I'm talking about!) gave me a scare yesterday. After a trip to the vet, we came home with a 14-day dose of antibiotic. Her bloodwork is fine, just the beginnings of a UTI; not unusual for a 10 year old cat. Now, getting the medicine into her??!!! Yikes! It is to be given orally and she is quite the fighter. I'm going to try giving it in her food but if that doesn't work, any other ideas?

It was such a scare when I noticed her feeling not quite right because it was just before Thanksgiving last year when my dear Mollie died of kidney failure. Thanks to all of you for your prayers that got me through that sad time.

I appreciate your ideas for medicating my fur baby!

Darlene

"Support your local fire departments and rescue squads...volunteers making a difference"

www.etsy.com/shop/FeedSackFarm
www.etsy.com/shop/Chronographica

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  5:37:08 PM  Show Profile
first get gloves, long sleave heavy shirt or jacket, have someone else hold her by her scruff, and either wrap her in a thick towel or blanket ( the key is keeping her front feet inside so she can't shred you, use a plastic eye dropper, wiggle it into the corner of her mouth, till you get past the teeth, lean her back, with mouth up, and slowly squirt, keeping your thumb under her chin, so she can't open her mouth and spit it out...the hardest part of this is, after the first time, she will see you coming, good luck...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  6:29:08 PM  Show Profile
My vet told me to grab a good hold of their ear and then shoot the med down the back of their throat. Pinch the ear between thumb and finger they wont move.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5082 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5082 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  6:35:50 PM  Show Profile
WE got a Pill Popper from out Vet , it is about 7-8 inches long has a rubber tip that holds the pill and all you do is get behind them quickly open the jaw or if you have help, you open the jaw, have the other person pop it in and stick it in their moth hit the plunger and it goes straight down. That thing is worth a million dollars. we use to have to do what Tina said. Cost about $3.00. We have been using it for about 10 years! and we recently bought another one for a backup.

Hugs!
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  6:58:18 PM  Show Profile
Is it a pill? My parents once had a cat that needed daily pills for several weeks. The vet gave them something called pill pockets - a soft treat with a little space to tuck a pill inside. My mom would put the loaded pill pocket in with a small handful of regular cat treats and the pill went down every time.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5082 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5082 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  7:09:26 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn, I love that! Im gonna ask my vet about that!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2013 :  7:10:56 PM  Show Profile
Well......Tessa 3, me 0.
It is liquid, but thanks for the pill info. I've had to give pills before too so that is good know about.

Have tried holding all fours, tried the ear thing, put on gloves, but only able to get some of the med into her. Tonight, going to try the towel wrapping idea in a few minutes. Of course, she is here beside me kicking on a blanket so I don't think she is too sick. But just like with humans, an antibiotic needs to given until it is gone!

Wish me luck!

Darlene

"Support your local fire departments and rescue squads...volunteers making a difference"

www.etsy.com/shop/FeedSackFarm
www.etsy.com/shop/Chronographica
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Giving medicine to a cat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page