True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  09:51:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

For the past umpteen years we've had an artificial tree. It all started years ago when our son was little and we heard that ingested needles could be poisonous. But now he's almost grown and I am dying to put up a real tree this year. Thing is, I've never quite grasped the whole stringing of lights on a tree thing. I have an acquaintance whose tree is always just beautiful. Her tree literally glows from the inside out, just like the trees did at home when I was little. But whenever anyone asks her how she does it, she only smiles and says, "It's just a knack, I guess," and never shares her technique. I would SO appreciate your insights and suggestions as to how to achieve the perfect glow - from the type of lights you like best to your favorite techniques for hanging them on the tree. I really want this year's tree to be extra special. :)

Thanks so much for your help!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  10:20:23 AM  Show Profile
I always start at the trunk on the very bottom, wrap around the truck, stay on one side of the branch, wrapping to the end, go back down the other side of that same branch, back to the truck, and repeat for all branches, that way you get lights, end to tips of the branches. I use white mini lights, then go back and run 1 string of the colored old-fashioned big lights down the truck. Hope this helps. Hugs!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  10:45:21 AM  Show Profile
Make some cookies, eggnog, and invite your friend over and have her help you!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  11:04:11 AM  Show Profile
connie does them as the stores do- wrapping all of the way into the trunk-also,nini, put ornaments deep into the tree as well-giving it depth.

i gave away my tree when we tried to move 6 weeks ago-now i have to get another one :(

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2013 :  09:30:38 AM  Show Profile
Nini, just for kicks, read one of my old blog posts here. Think you will chuckle:

http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/default.asp?Display=39

Big hugs!
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2013 :  09:41:54 AM  Show Profile
Nini,
Lisa had a great idea ... but, just spike the eggnog first, then she'll tell you everything, maybe even things you don't want to hear ... TMI ... LOL!
Really there is a trick to it, and it does take a lot of time and lights ... And Connie, is right ... that is just how Martha would do it ... Love to see a photo when you are done.

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  5:16:51 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Oooooh my gosh! You girls are too, too much! LOL!

First of all, thank you, Connie! I am going to try that for sure. I've been looking for Christmas lights and can't decide which ones I like best. I always loved those big old colored ones my Dad would put on the tree when I was little, but I wanted white this year... Until... I made the mistake of walking into Target and saw all the different shapes, sizes, colors and fancy things that the lights could do. Now I'm so confused. LOL! It ought to be fun trying to decide! LOL!

Lisa - My friends would rather have ME come to THEIR house and decorate FOR them! LOL! But I like the idea... I wonder if I promised them some Bailey's or Kahlua and cream coffee with those cookies and the eggnog...maybe that'd get them to come help! :) Who am I kidding? We'd end up plopping down on the sofas, spending the entire night catching up and laughing... You know what? I kind of like that idea! :)

Margo! You are SO right! That is what makes the tree! When I was little, one of my favorite things was to peer deep into the tree and see what hidden treasures my Dad placed in there... What fun! I had forgotten! Thank you!!!

Nicole! That was AWESOME!!!! LOL! Sometime I'm going to have to tell you about our old tradition of letting the dry trees stand until they fall over... LOL! I love your tree, too - SO perfect! I especially love the way you clipped candles to the boughs... Beautiful! What a great memory!

Teri! LOL! I honestly didn't even consider serving the eggnog WITHOUT the spike! LOL! Shame on ME!!! ;) Speaking of Martha... I saw one of her crystal-tipped trees at Home Depot last week... I almost caved and bought that instead! SO pretty! I've been wanting and whining for a real tree for so long now, though, I just couldn't do it.

I am thinking that maybe we should get a small 3 foot-ish tree and put it on a round table in the entry way instead of the usual floor-to-ceiling size. I love the look of those little trees.... Hmmm... I don't know now...

You know, if this indecision continues, I'm going to be stuck pulling down our beat up old fake one from the attic. Perish the thought! Nicole - we can't back into it with a car up there, but I sure could accidentally back it up too far and have it drop out the window... ;) Hey, a girl has to do what a girl has to do for the sake of Christmas, right?! LOL!

You all are just too much... LOL! Thank you! I needed that today!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 11 2013 5:21:00 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Stringing Christmas Lights... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page