Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Receipe for a natural house cleanser
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Receipe for a natural house cleanser Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  1:12:55 PM  Show Profile
Found this in a magazine. Sounds simple enough and not over powered by the vinegar...
Create your own natural house cleanser:

1 teaspoon borax
1/4 teaspoon eucalyptus essential oil
1/4 teaspoon lavender essential oil
1 teaspoon sodium lauryl sulfate
3 drops tea tree oil
2 cups hot water
2 tablespoons white vinegar
Mix together and pour into a spray bottle.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  3:45:04 PM  Show Profile
I would leave out the sls. Sounds good otherwise.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

sweetpea
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Kelley
Oxnard California
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  09:24:43 AM  Show Profile
Here are a couple of formulas for a powdered base:
Powder Cleaner Base #1

2 cups Baking Soda
1 Tbsp. Borax
1/2 cup shredded Natural Soap or you can use a bar of castille soap and shred it

This next one is for stuff that needs scrubbing like sinks and tubs:
2 cups Baking Soda
1/4 cup Orange or Lemon Peel (finely powdered)
1 Tbsp. Borax
1/2 cup shredded Natural Soap

Having a bottle of White Vinegar on hand works great for those hard to clean areas as it makes the cleaner foam and warm up a bit and boost the cleaning to get rid of the soap scum build up that happens especially in the tub. I use my gloves when I have heavy duty cleaning to do like this. I like to make a paste with the powder cleaner and rub on the surface that needs cleaning and then spray with the Vinegar and rub it a bit more, allow it to set for a while and then rinse away. Another application might be necessary for those areas that do not clean up easily.

It is best to take the dried Natural Soap and powder it down in the food processor a bit in order to get it to mix in the powder mixture better. I find that I prefer to powder the soap down a bit and then add some of the mixture to the soap and powder them together a bit more. If you wish you can also put more of the powder mixture in and add the Essential Oils and pulse them together, than add the rest of the powder mixture into your storage container and stir together. I use a food processor that I purchased at a yard sale just for making my cleaners and laundry soaps. This can also be done in a blender if you don't have a food processor, but will have to be done in smaller amounts so as not to clog the blender with the soap.

The Powder Cleaner Base #1 can be used in the powder form or added to some hot water to make a paste for washing surfaces, along with any of the Essential Oils you like. The amount of water used in not listed as some might like more than others so you can judge what you like best. A nice rubbing paste works great for counters, refrigerators, etc.

Here are some Essential Oil that you can use to help with the cleaning of Bathroom, Kitchens, etc. The Sweet Orange is the most used because it gives wonderful cleaning to any surface and adds a very clean citrus fragrance to the air.

1 tsp. Sweet Orange Essential Oil

OR

3/4 tsp. Sweet Orange Essential Oil
1/4 tsp. Lavender Essential Oil

OR

1/4 tsp. Tea Tree Essential Oil

OR

1/4 tsp. Spearmint Essential Oil

OR

1/4 tsp. Pine Essential Oil

These formulas are courtesy of Rita Scheu

Hope that this helps

Go to Top of Page

PJJ
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Paula
Bristow OK
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  8:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Send PJJ an AOL message
How is Sweet Orange Oil different than the orange essential oil I generally find?

Thanks,

Paula J.

(snip)The Sweet Orange is the most used because it gives wonderful cleaning to any surface and adds a very clean citrus fragrance to the air.

1 tsp. Sweet Orange Essential Oil

OR (snip)

Paula J., with Ty, Cara, Brody, Blue, and Fidget
Go to Top of Page

sweetpea
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Kelley
Oxnard California
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  5:57:55 PM  Show Profile
Hey there..sorry it has taken me so long to reply...
Sweet Orange and regular orange essential oils are the same...unless you have 5x orange but that is a different story!
Sometimes you can see "sweet" printed very finely on the orange essential oil above the orange!

Hope that this helps!
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Receipe for a natural house cleanser Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page