gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2013 :  07:56:57 AM  Show Profile
I found a nice pair at the thrift for a $1.00 and now need to know how to wax any one have any ideas they could pass on.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1503 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1503 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2013 :  09:12:18 AM  Show Profile
I'd suggest researching the manufacturer's website or asking a local ski shop how to care for your particular pair of skis. Some older cross country skis needed a hot wax foundation, newer ones are made of laminated substrates that often don't require it. However, most skis need to have a fresh coat of quick wax rubbed on the day of skiing depending on the weather and snow conditions you will be skiing on. Also, if the skis are meant for backcountry terrain they may have steel edges that need to be sharpened. Good luck...what a great find!!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Nov 05 2013 09:18:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4214 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4214 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2013 :  11:04:47 AM  Show Profile
I hope you get to enjoy your skis. If they are waxless skis, no waxing needed. The bottom on these will be rough with small grooves in them. Waxable type will need wax every time you go out. the bottom on these will be smooth. The wax comes in a tube, and it is all rated for different temps. Get a few from cold weather to about 32 degrees. You will need a cork to work the wax into the ski bottom. Like Marilyn suggested go to a ski shop and talk to the people. Tell them what you plan on doing and they can give suggestions as to what you need. You will need boots and poles for sure. You don't need a lot of fancy stuff either. Keeping it simple works just fine. Getting out in the fields and woods in the winter is great exercise, and a lot of fun.

just a girl farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2013 :  12:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh well I tried them out and the bottoms have ridges I think so you can't go backwards as easy but they collected the snow really bad. So it is off to a store to find out what I need. New boot and poles I got last summer so I was looking forward to this but will have to wait on wax.

Thanks for the info.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4214 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4214 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  05:37:59 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes you do get snow buildup. Depends how warm it is. But it is hard to say without seeing your skis. If they have ridges they sound like waxless. If not waxless, you use a kicker wax about a foot in front of your foot and a foot behind. Then a glide wax on the tip and tail. Have fun

just a girl farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Waxing Cross Country skies? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page