Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  08:51:03 AM  Show Profile
Anyone do it? What specific things do you do?

I'm thinking that this may be the way to go to get rid of lots of clutter that happens.

Kim in NC

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  09:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes I do! I actually just did quite a bit yesterday but I have a feeling it will take me all week since I am pregnant right now.

I wash all my windows inside and out (if I can- with this apartment I am on the second floor and I don't own a ladder so my outside windows will just have to suffer)

I make sure all the laundry is caught up- clean and folded and put away!

I detach my dry hose from the wall (I do this every winter so all the heat that my dryer produces goes into the house) While I am working with my dry hose I vacuum out the inside of my hose and attach a special lint catcher that you fill with water. I also vacuum under the dryer and washer. If I am feeling realy energectic I unplug the dryer and take off the back to vacuum out all the lint that accumulates.

I wash down all my doors and give them a good treatment with beeswax and mineral oil (I have natural wood doors in this apartment)

I wash down all the molding around the carpeets and the door frames.

I give my kitchen a good scrub down- clean out the cupboards both inside and out.

I clean my stove

I de-season our cast iron pans by sticking them in the oven on the self clean setting and then I re-season them.

I scrub down the bathroom.

I make sure all the bedding is cleaned including my feather bed. I let our mattress have a good airing along with our feather pillows.

The whole house gets vacuumed, including the furniture.

As I am cleaning each room I sort through old mail, books, cds- basically our every day clutter. All the trash gets taken out and things get organized. I try to follow the "only touch it once" rule. If I pick something up I clean it and put it in it's proper place right away. Sometimes this doesn't work because then I get distracted but for the long run it helps me keep on task as long as I return to my "area" right away. I try to only clean one room at a time to keep my distraction level down.

Yesterday I think Doug took out about 5 loads of garbage. Some of it was boxes and such that were from our recent trip to Costco, but a lot was just stuff that had been hiding. It is amazing how you get so used to seeing a mess. Once you get used to seeing clutter or a mess it is a lot easier to pass it by in your normal routine.

Oh yes- one other thing I forgot to mention- I also shampoo my carpets but that is usually a full day project at the end of cleaning since everything is up and off the floors by that time.
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  09:47:36 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I do Fall and Spring indoor decluttering of toys, clothes, etc. If I can get through all that then I will clean the windows and baseboards!!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 7 months!!

http://hansenhootenanny.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  09:56:47 AM  Show Profile
I do all the in and under cleaning that I just can't get to all summer!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  11:50:19 AM  Show Profile
I think I do more fall cleaning then spring . I did the curtains and windows in three rooms this morning, with the windows open all summer the curtains really need cleaned, I have more of an inside energy in the fall and more outside in the spring. But I love playing house, so the whole thing is pretty on going.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  1:04:07 PM  Show Profile
I think it makes way more sense to do a deep Fall cleaning. Then you can get all the dirt that has been brought in from summer. I did the living room windows and will do the rest this week. I cleaned off my front porch and decorated for Fall, cleaned up the rest of the garden, put all the outdoor summer stuff away, unhooked the hoses, etc. Yesterday cleaned out my sewing room in anticipation of messing it up again with projects for our bazaar! I enjoy cleaning in the Fall in preparation for winter nesting!

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  1:22:18 PM  Show Profile
In the Spring I do a total clean-out. I start with one room a day and move through the house until I'm finished. By the time I'm through, I have sparkly windows, gleaming floors and huge piles for a yard sale. (You would think that after all these years I would have nothing to get rid of, but it apparently things just pop into my house!)
In the Autumn I do the main living spaces in preparation for the holidays. After Christmas, I do another clean-up because by then the lack of decorations is such a relief that I feel inspired! It's also the time that stores put out all of their organizing things. Hmmmm. I sense an evil plot! :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  1:46:30 PM  Show Profile
Yes-I start in fall and I'll get done by spring. I don't have a big house-2 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, kitchen, laundry, sunroom-no basement-no attic. I go room by room-closets cleaned out and sorted through, walls and doors washed, carpets vacuumed and shampoed, ceilings dusted, windows cleaned and curtains washed and rehung, all furniture dusted and vacuumed-pictures wiped down and my few treasures also get wiped down. Oh and light fixtures/ceiling fans-glass cleaned and metal wiped down. I pick a room a weekend and if I don't get done-I work through it in the evenings. I declutter and rethink my treasures and other items to be sure they are keepers. The less I keep the easier cleaning gets. I think the kitchen takes the longest-not that it is the biggest, but to pull everything out of the cabinets and washing inside them and polishing outside.
Kim-we are planning to move to NC next spring so this year-I'm also be packing as I clean! :)
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  2:38:47 PM  Show Profile
Good ideas everyone! It always seemed like a silly idea when I worked full time, since I would spend all my time home cleaning... but with my being home all the time I can do it. All I hate is that it seems like as soon as I clean it up, it will get dirty again, and I hate that!

Ellen- where in NC are you headed? I'm in the foothills of western NC, between Charlotte and Asheville.
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  6:28:55 PM  Show Profile
Kim, I used to live in Sylva and also in Cashiers!! I absolutely ADORE that area!!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 7 months!!

http://hansenhootenanny.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  6:45:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tracey- I used to live in Dickson (TN), just west of Nashville! Isn't it funny how things are really connected in some way?

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  05:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Kim-I'll be down near Wilmington -it is so beautiful in NC. Michigan is pretty too, but my heart is ready for more sunshine and the ocean breeze. aaaahhhh!

Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  09:20:16 AM  Show Profile
I'm doing fall cleaning this year, but only because I'm moving. What a great time to clean the house!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  10:09:12 AM  Show Profile
Alee,

You have totally exhausted me.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  11:14:57 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I agree with Debbie. My jaw is still slack, and I am feeling quite tired and dejected just thinking about all you have listed. It is, however, a great "To Do" list for those uf us who are housekeeping-challenged!

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  11:41:38 AM  Show Profile
Yeah and she's pregnant too!!! I do start major cleaning this time of year, maybe not to that extent, although I may have picked up a few more ideas. My big cleaning projects always end up after the kids big sports seasons...kind of a "catching up"
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  09:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well my house cleaning steam is kindof gone right now. I have been having a pretty icky feeling week but I have a feeling that this weekend I will continue on my projects! My deep cleans only happen once or twice a year so I try to really get down and get the gunk out! :)
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  06:33:31 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I hope the icky feeling is going...going...gone! I appreciate your cleaning wisdom, by the way, and enjoy this thread.
XO,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  3:48:22 PM  Show Profile
I've done all my fall housecleaning in much the same fashion as Alee and it is such a good feeling to be clean! This year I had my 20 month old grandson helping me. It was so cute the way he helped me with his little wet rag with Murphys oil on it! I decluttered also and I have no idea, really, where this stuff comes from. Maybe some day I'll figure it out! Susan
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  09:32:20 AM  Show Profile
Alee,

You have given me goals to strive for. To dream the impossible dream. But I will keep fighting those dust bunnies and try to get some of the things done that you do. Hope you take it easy this week and start to feel a little better.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Fall cleaning? (Spring too) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page