GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  4:06:32 PM  Show Profile
As asked in another topic, a Dumb Dinner is this:
It is a dinner served and eaten in silence in honor of our ancestors....we are serving it in silence as we have a four year old that can't sit quiet that long! We will serve it in silence and then talk about our ancestors while we eat. There will also be a place set for our ancestors, with a bit of our dinner, plus other goodies and icons that help us to remember them, ie. one of my Grampa's tractors from his collection and a photo of him, one of my elephants from my Gramma's collection, one of the dishes I will be preparing will be one of Rob's Aunt Mert's recipe's and one will be his Grandma Margaret's. We will have a bit of kitty food and rat food as well because we have lost those pets this past year.

That is just one of the things we will be doing over the course of Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for Samhain.

Monday is our Dumb DInner, Tuesday is the trick or treating and our ritual and Wednesday I will make and we will all decorate skull cakes.

Do any of you have Samhain/ Halloe'en traditions?

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  9:55:12 PM  Show Profile
Tasha, this is a wonderful tradition! You are a remarkable woman, brightest blessings indeed....... jo

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum14.html
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  04:06:00 AM  Show Profile
A very thought-provoking idea, Tasha. To give tribute to our ancestors, to sit in silence at a meal in honor of those who carried on the thread of life before us . . . this brings tears to my eyes. I miss my Mom & Dad so much.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  09:00:26 AM  Show Profile
A few years ago, the Presbyterian church I attended held a service for reconciliation with the dead. The idea was to make peace with all the issues unresolved, things left unsaid, etc. Since we are Christians, there was no element of seance or contacting the dead. Just prayers for them, wherever they are now, and prayers for help as we the living still try to forgive them or seek forgiveness for wrongs we committed against them. I thought it was a great idea, and I've never heard of such a thing in the protestant church. I think it has a lot in common with the catholic concept of the "communion of saints".
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  09:46:33 AM  Show Profile
As a protestant, we do not have any rituals such as the one that Amie mentioned but I do think it is a wonderful way to honor those that have passed away. Tasha, your rituals sound lovely!!
Mexico has a holiday around this time? Day of the Dead? I cannot remember and don't have a moment to google but I know I have heard and read stories about it.

The only tradition that we have is making a big pot of chili to eat before or after trick or treating. My mom always did this and I am carrying on that tradition. We do trick-or-treat but only cause it is fun so I guess I allow my children to participate in the very Americanized version of this holiday. I do not allow them to dress as anything scary or bloody, etc because it is just plain scary!!

I do plan to have a halloween store for them this year. Since we have cut out all Artificial colors and preserves from our diet, I have had to come up with something for them, rather than just throwing out all the offending candy, that would be sad.
I bought some novelty toys a couple of books and some other things for them to buy with the offending candy (which will promptly go into the trash so there is no temptation to eat it (by me, LOL). Just kidding.
I am excited about the store and I think my children will love this idea!!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 7 months!!

http://hansenhootenanny.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  10:10:32 AM  Show Profile
I plan to do a Halloween store too..I think it is a wonderful idea. I try really hard to keep my kids from much sugar at all (really really affects one of them) and artificial sweeteners I feel even more strongly about. Artificial anything.
We do trick or treating..but our little town has a big "trunk or treat" thing where every one goes to one central location (usually the park..but this year on Main street for the first time..the road will be closed for a couple hours) and then we visit a few friends and relatives. We don't do very scary costumes either but the kids love to dress up. Our elementary school does halloween up big too..we have the school parade through all the classes and then the kids go right out the big front doors, turn the corner and go down Main street and back to the school..granted this is a small town..nothing so fancy as a stop light or anything..it is so fun. EVERYONE comes out to watch the Halloween parade.
For supper we always have "Beanies and Halloweenies". I make baked beans (sometimes homemade sometimes from a can..depends on my day) and I wrap strips of crescent roll dough around hot dogs (my kid's favorite junky food..which I hate but they consider the ultimate treat) to make the hot dogs look like mummies. I draw little faces with squirt mustard. They love it.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Samhain/Halloe'en Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page