Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Have You Ever Stenciled Windows?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Have You Ever Stenciled Windows? Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  05:00:38 AM  Show Profile
Girls - I am absolutely in love with the look of stenciled windows. I would love, love to stencil a "lace shade" design on all of my windows, but don't even know where to start. Have you ever done this, or do you know anyone who has? Any insight, suggestions or tips? Do you have any idea where I might find a premade stencil for this purpose? It's just such a pretty look. My hubby is going to think I'm crazy, considering we 22 windows on the first two floors alone... I know it'll take me a while, but I'm game! I think I'd like to try the front windows on the first floor and see where it takes me. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! :)

Thanks so much for your help -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3440 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3440 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  06:12:07 AM  Show Profile
Nini
I am sorry I can not help with how to's but it does sound pretty. I agree totally with nothing ventured, nothing gained. Maybe others will soon chime in. I would like to hear what others have experienced.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9323 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9323 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  07:17:58 AM  Show Profile
I have never heard of nor seen this. Sounds wonderful. I hope someone can help with it. Have you checked Youtube for tutorials?

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  07:40:20 AM  Show Profile
It is so pretty, girls. Here is a link to a project a girl did on cabinet glass: http://www.town-n-country-living.com/stenciled-glass-cabinet-doors.html Isn't it lovely? Her instructions look very simple - I'm just wondering how long it will hold up, and whether I would need to do some sort of finishing spray to seal it. I used to make those liquid glass stained glass pieces for my windows (still have one in the entry and one in the kitchen), and people loved them. But after a while they would start peeling off due to heat and cold stress. I'd hate to go through all that work just to have it chip away after a few months, you know? Plus our home and windows are very, very old. I wouldn't want to damage them in any way, so I want to be sure it's going to be okay to do this in the first place. I'm also concerned about their removal as time goes on and tastes change. On YouTube, I found a wax stenciling project, but that's not the same thing. I haven't had a lot of time to really research it there yet, though. I also found a wonderful website for SUPER expensive stencils, but I am not about expensive - although expensive looking would be okay. ;) Plus the stencils I found are in England - I don't think I'll need to go that far to come up with a design I like. I'm sure I can figure out how to make something suitable form the stencils at the crafts store, or even design one myself. I am just trying to make this as easy, smooth-going, and long-lasting as possible. I just really hope some of the farmgirls have tried it and can share their perspectives and pointers - you are always my go-to girls, after all! :)

I am eager to see what we find out, aren't you? I would love to do some windows before the holidays. :)

Let me know what you think, or if you find anything out there, okay? Thanks so much!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 18 2013 07:44:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  07:52:28 AM  Show Profile
Wow that looks really neat---and sorta easy. BUT--I know if I did that it would look like a 2 year old did it. all smeary---but I am going to try. Thanks for the info. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  08:46:23 AM  Show Profile
Don't think of it as "smeary," Mary Beth - think of it as "shabby chic!" That's where I'm going to go with mine, anyway! ;) Please post pictures when you finish with your creation, okay? I will, too. Just want to do a bit more research first. Our windows get mighty cold in the winter and mighty hot in the summer... If I'm going to go put my heart and soul into something, I want it to last! :) Happy creativity! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

auntsmelly
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Jenny
Pitman NJ
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2013 :  7:10:49 PM  Show Profile
I love this idea. Thanks for sharing it. I have an old cabinet in my bedroom that I'm painting black and I'd like to do something
interesting to the window panels on it- this seems like a winner! Please let me know how you make out. I think I may use a sponge
brush instead of spray paint. Not sure....

I'm counting my blessings today instead of my calories.

Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a very large amount of gratitude. A.A.Milne

Jenny, Blessed Sister #4359
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3440 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3440 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  04:36:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nini, that really is pretty. I may try it on something small and see how it goes. I am with you on sealing it though, sure looks like too much of a job, just to have it chip off.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  09:55:00 AM  Show Profile
Nini,

Just saw this. About a month ago I found this link for stenciling windows. Something I want to try too!

http://designinspiration.typepad.com/design_inspiration_planet/2007/05/stencilling_on_.html

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  5:02:46 PM  Show Profile
Martha Stewart has lots of glass stencils and paints. Check out PlaidOnline too, they have lots of cool glass paints & stencils also. The paints that I have used from the Martha Stewart Glass Collection is fabulous.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  4:02:56 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Sharon! That is kind of what I'm looking for! COOL!

Rachel - thank you so much for the recommendations. I will definitely have to check them out! I'm so excited!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  6:35:50 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, that really is beautiful. And I bet, you could remove it if you grew tired of it...
Marianne
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Have You Ever Stenciled Windows? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page