suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  06:35:55 AM  Show Profile
Hey, ladies. Another great book to read and use. I posted on the Stitching section, but I thought some of you might drop in here as well.

This book is a very easy to read and understand book. It is geared to new sewers. My daughter took to it IMMEDIATELY and ran off to school with it to show her sewing class and teacher. (She is 14). She has plans to make her first project from it over Thanksgiving weekend. I think it will be mother/daughter bonding time at the sewing machines.

Anyway, even I learned a new tip to try. I love the pictures of the skirts in fun fabric. There are styles to suit every need-feminine and long, flowing and drapey, formal and special occasion, short and sassy, casual and easy (to wear and make). If you have ever thought of sewing, this book can lead the way. If you already sew, this one will inspire you. You make your own patterns from your measurements and instructions. Perfect to try out and I believe this book will save money as well since you design and make your own patterns.

Another great book to have on hand for new sewers is "In Stitches" By Amy Butler. She gears her projects to the new sewer, instructions are very easy to understand and follow, very detailed with no assumpition that you know certain "language" of sewing. Instead, every step in spelled out. She does home dec, some personal clothing prjects, and some accessories. This is another great book. There is even a half apron pattern.

I wish years ago when I first started there were these great books available to new sewers. You will be so pleased to jump right in and find great satisfaction in sewing a useful and beautiful project. At least I can buy them for my daughter and myself and work together with her on some of these (and make some on my own for gifting.)

Country girl in NE PA

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  8:10:52 PM  Show Profile
Well, I was up in the "big city" this weekend, and I stopped by a bookstore and looked at this book. It really IS great. I've added it to my "must check out from the library and possibly buy" list (can you tell I'm a real list-maker?!?!?!)! Thanks, Clare, for the book reviews!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic SEW WHAT! SKIRTS Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page