Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Water Barrels
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Water Barrels Next Topic  

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  03:37:34 AM  Show Profile
So, I have some 55gal water barrels that are soon to find a home in my garage. But. How do I, well, camouflage them? They'll be right smack in the middle back wall of the garage, so piling boxes in front of them won't work (actually, that's hubby's reasoning for putting them there - so we actually *have* access to the water when we need it!). The rack we're going to build will have them sideways for easy access/use, which takes up a slightly bigger floorprint (3 feet deep) versus the freezer and fridge and other shelves in the garage (about 2 feet deep). Appliances are on one side, other shelves on the other side.

Yes, I know we could just leave the garage door closed at all times. But that's just not my reality with four kids and us being a hub for neighborhood kids (they love playing out front together, and having a snack from the peach or apple box or whatever) and hubby doing his random tool/repair stuff out there. So I need to figure out how to be creative and work around it.

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed

Edited by - Lanna on Oct 01 2013 03:38:19 AM

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  08:17:49 AM  Show Profile
why do you have to hide them? so I guess it would be easiest to hang a curtain in front of them, maybe some kind of canvas...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  3:16:00 PM  Show Profile
In part because I don't exactly want *everyone* knowing our business. We live on a bus route/major residential arterial, and to be honest, my family comes before everybody else's. Kinda like why you wouldn't display your entire gun collection in the front living room window, you know?

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2013 :  10:15:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Lanna, could you or your hubby make a rolling screen of pegboard that could stand in front of the barrels, and hold light weight tools, then roll out to access the water. It wouldn't take up much space, and would look like a wall. I understand about not advertising your water supply to the whole neighborhood.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  11:53:44 AM  Show Profile
I think you could get some old wooden fencing or pallets that you cut & paint & make it look like a little fenced area in front & the sides of it...you know like a little picket fence?

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  2:13:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm grooving on the pegboard idea, actually, that's brilliant. Add a little more storage to boot, and wouldn't look near as out of place as a giant, pretty curtain hanging from floor to ceiling in my unfinished garage. :) Thank you for the ideas!

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  2:17:27 PM  Show Profile
I have wanted to store water also but don't want it to get rancid or green. What is your secret? Hugs and prayers, Daizy

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  2:23:02 PM  Show Profile
I haven't gotten that far yet. I know there's additives/chlorine/whatever that you can add for long term storage though. Until then, I've just got my boxes of water and canned water (when I have a batch for the canner that isn't full, I throw in a jar or three of water to make it a happier canning batch).

Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Water Barrels Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page