Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Whats on your list of must have items?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Whats on your list of must have items? Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  07:13:17 AM  Show Profile
Last night my guy and I had this conversation as we discussed serious belt tightening and frugality. We want to be as self sufficient as possible, but there are items, such as coffee and tea that we really want. We need to seriously scrimp and save money to be able to buy property and start the mini farm that we want.

So, what items are necessary to you? I'm sitting here really thinking and starting a list of the food and things that we REALLY feel that we must have.

I think that for us, it's an important issue to make this list, it gives us a look at how much we spend on groceries and sundry other things that we regularly buy. Seeing it in writing lets us think about the importance of it.

We both are terrible about impulse buying and have to learn restraint and control the urge to snap buy what ever we want at the moment.

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  07:45:44 AM  Show Profile
Coffee, laundry detergent, sundries and grocery items. It's been a little lean around our house since January, but we've lived quite well--the pantry is sometimes picked clean, but we never go hungry!!

Truly, there is very little we actually "need" when our homes are furnished--it's more "want" than need. When I'm trying to buckle down and not spend money, I only go where necessary--grocery or market and specifically not a big retail grocer where there might be other things to tempt me. I stick to the meat market or the green grocer and then I'm not looking at the latest issue of Victoria in the magazine aisle or trying to explain to Violet that we're not looking at toys when at Target.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  08:28:36 AM  Show Profile
In addition to the above: Onions and peppers, garlic, lettuce, and other fresh and frozen veggies (when the garden isn't in season, of course, and when the canning shelves and freezer go bare!). Apples, bananas, strawberries. Milk. Eggs. Butter - the real stuff. Flour, sugar, salt, yeast, oatmeal, corn meal, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, vanilla, vinegar, olive oil, peanut butter, herbs and spices (...because you can just about make anything when you have these basics - and because they do lots of other things, too!). Pasta (although I know I could make it, if it's cheap, I stock up!). Frozen orange juice. Dried cranberries, walnuts and pecans. Oh - and chocolate chips! Ritz crackers. Dish liquid. Body soap. Toilet paper! A well-stocked first aid kit. An emergency sewing kit. My laundry line. A few candles for emergencies. Vitamin E oil, Vitamin C, herbal medicinal teas... That's just about it. And seeds... lots of wonderful seeds for planting!

You know, now that I look at our list, I see so many things that really are multi-purpose or items that I use to make so many different things... Our grocery bill has really come down a lot over the past couple of years because the majority of what we buy are truly basics. I'm lucky, though, to be home and have time to make a lot from scratch and freeze, dehydrate and can. I do realize that lot of people don't have that "luxury" any more. I am truly grateful!

Thank you, Annika - this is a great post! You're right - seeing it in print is pretty nifty!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  08:34:34 AM  Show Profile
Coffee, teas and baking supplies (sugar, salt, etc)
Organic bath salts - a must have for after a hard day in the garden etc.
Organic cheeses (we do make our own ricotta and will be making our own cream cheese with our goat's milk soon)
Organic popping corn
Natural peanut butter

....can't think of everything right now, but we make a lot of things ourselves, such as: laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, toothpaste, deodorant, dog treats, shampoo, and more.

Farmgirl Sister #800

My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Our Family Store: http://roosterscrowfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  08:53:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh! My son just reminded me - and I see you've gotten it down, Kristina - cheeses! Extra sharp cheddar, mozzarella, American, parmesan, cream cheese, ricotta... and maybe a little Swiss now and then.

I forgot rice, too.

I didn't put shampoo and conditioner down because I know I can make do with baking soda and vinegar... To be truthful, though, I'd definitely be adding it to my list for the time being! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  1:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
We started cutting corners a year ago; we have been rather careful in our spending for several years, but last year we took it to another level. The first thing we did was to cut spending. Thus, no more satellite or cable tv; just internet from whoever had the best price. We also got rid of AT&t and got a Magic Jack (just the phone saved us $800 yr.) The satellit tv, or lack of it, saves us about $1500 yr. We both thought we couldn't do without the tv but we were wrong.
I think the one thing I cannot do without is the internet connection. It is how my telephone works, how I read magazines and books, and blogs (mostly about homesteading and gardening)

It's funny, things we thought we couldn't do without, we don't even miss.
So the things we absolutely can't do without: internet connection; grocery staples, electricity (we have reduced our usage however).

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447

http://hennypennyfarm.blogspot.com/
www.klbobbittphotography.com

/www.facebook.com/KlBobbittPhotography
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  1:59:29 PM  Show Profile
don't deny yourself everything, we all need some guilty pleasures once in a while...good chocolate is mine, plus books about everything and nothing...daily "I love you's", hugs and kisses every morning and everynight before bed, and of course coffee and iced tea, along with what you all have listed here...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  03:02:00 AM  Show Profile
Very good advice, Tina! :)

I definitely would want to be sure that I had ibuprofen on hand, as well as an antihistamine, which is very important for relieving fluid in the ears in the case of ear infections.

Annika - if you're trying to find ways to cut costs with your cable/internet/telephone bill, you might also take a look at the post about saving money on your cable bill. We just made some awesome changes and have determined that we're saving a minimum of at least $1600 per year without feeling deprived at all - we actually have way more for much, much less!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  08:04:56 AM  Show Profile
Annika I have always laughed and said I'm an immediate gratification kind of gal. The truth is I'm very much an impulse buyer. Or let's say I used to be very much. Now it is more controlled. One of the things that has really helped me curve that behavior is I make a list every time I go shopping and I try to stick to the list. When I see something I think I can't live without I carry it around the store with me while I shop. Every time I look at it I ask myself do I really need it and what function will it serve. At the first sign of doubt out it comes. Another method I use is putting a price on my time. Say you make $20 an hour and something costs $100. Is it worth 5 hours of my life? In combining these two techniques I now usually get to the check out with just the items on my list. Your time is valuable unlike money when it is used up there is no working overtime to make more. Let your time's worth help guide your spending.

www.facebook.com/victoriascottagebakery

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  11:20:25 AM  Show Profile
Meal planning!!!!!! huge at our house. I plan meals for the month. Grocery shop ONCE. I buy in bulk when I can, flour, yeast, sugar. We eat lots of spaghetti, casseroles, soups and salads.

I buy shampoo and conditioner at the Beauty supply store. $9 per gallon, and the it gets diluted. Family of 5 and it lasts all year.

Laundry soap, toilet paper and garbage bags is usually cheaper at Home Depot, lowes or Meanard. Use coupons.

we never use paper plates or paper napkins. water from the well is cheap.....wash it.

We do have internet. No cable (get movies from the library, no cell phones....land-line is $10 per month. re-evaluate car insurance and health insurance. We went to high deductable and a Health savings plan. Saved us a TON of money each year.

Our biggest 'guilty-pleasure' is we love to eat out. But we do limit it to once per week.

Sell extra 'stuff' on craigslist.

there are tons of ways of saving money and coming up with cash.....

Good luck.
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  12:21:29 PM  Show Profile
Ok I'll admit it, I'd crawl to south America for chocolate, so that's on my must have list too

We cook in big meals and I freeze them in single portions, Drew doesn't have to eat out any more in cooler weather, and i make big sandwiches and huge pots of cold pasta salad, potato salad and all sorts of other things for hot weather. He has a small cooler so he can take it where ever he goes. He's diabetic, so he knows exactly what the carb count is and it saves us lots of money. We get internet through his company and we only have cell phones, no cable, no local tv, only use the tv for movies.

I don't have a microwave and use mostly old fashioned kitchen tools, so that save a bit of electro. I re-fashion and re-purpose any thing that I can, recycle any thing else that I possibly can. Buy anything that has re-useable container rather than a throw away one even if it costs a bit more.

You'd be surprised how the little things all add up. I certainly was!

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  5:36:42 PM  Show Profile
DH and I live pretty frugally (most of the time).. that way we have money for splurges (whatever that means at the time).

Our mainstay food is tortillas, fat-free refried beans, banana peppers, cheese, eggs, whole grain bread, peanutbutter, jelly, tuna salad, oatmeal, FRUIT !!, lOTS OF VEGGIES in summer, limited meat, occasional pizza, or Subway special of the month. Okay, we eat some other things, but these are probably the most frequent choices. (Oh and ice tea for DH and I like some coffee in the morning. And did I mentiong $$$ FOOD FOR THE GREYTHOUND !! That boy can really eat !

Laundry detergent.. I think I am going to make this as soon as I find all ingredients locally at reasonable costs. We buy low cost body wash, brand name tooth paste, Dawn dish detergent, and use vinegar alot for cleaning. I am planning to make more cleaning and personal products in the future. .. trying to live more "green".

These are probably our mainstay items. Things I buy weekly or replenish often. Our splurges include gasoline -- getting to where we want or need to go, cable tv, cell phones (the kids are scattered), and the internet. We enjoy a 16 ft travel trailer for some outings.

So those are our needs. After mandatory bills are paid and food is bought, we always make sure we save something each month.

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  8:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Did you know you can get brie cheese in a can? It's good, too. Just had some today. It came from Bavaria in Germany and was just lovely. I wonder if other such treats are available canned for the "just in case" pantry?
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  04:26:43 AM  Show Profile
Victoria! I do the exact same thing! It really does make you see purchases a lot differently when you consider how many hours were worked in exchange for buying them! And I am infamous for putting things back at the end of the shopping trip! It's a lot better to have things lose their luster in the cart BEFORE bringing it home and having buyer's remorse, isn't it? :) Good to know I'm not alone!

Annika - I'd probably be crawling right along side of you! ;)

Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  06:59:40 AM  Show Profile
Lots of great ideas listed. I need to stop the impulse spending too. It's never
expensive things, but they add up.
My money saver is turning off the hot water heater. I turn it on for showers or laundry if needed, give it enough time to reheat a tankful and shut it off for the day. I always
have plenty of hot water for those small jobs. I do not have a dishwasher, so that helps.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

"Longin' to be farmin'.."
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2013 :  10:04:31 PM  Show Profile
I've learned that having a well stocked pantry is super important specially if you have bitter cold winters...I keep at least 20 lbs of different beans, 10 lbs of rice, pasta noodles of different types ie spaghetti, macaroni...plus I have access to a great co-op so can buy 50 lbs of oatmeal, stone cut oats, raw sugar, 25 lbs of cornmeal, flours. I find that having these in 5 gallon buckets with lids they will last for years & I never have to be without. Another good thing to have is lots & lots of bags of dried veggies that you can use at any time. Because I have done this there are ties I can spend less than $50 at the grocery store a month for my husband & I.....I go mainly to get milk & butter & maybe sometimes meat but don't buy much if I have a good stocked pantry. learn to can, both steam bath & pressure canning & have a good size garden. go pick apples at the end of the season & ask to get drops (whats on the ground) & you will pay a lot less for the fruit...I got 5 bushels one year for $10 of nice Cortland apples doing this....Definitely go more generic that brand labels on a lot of foods if possible helps save a lot of money.

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2013 :  06:15:38 AM  Show Profile
Annika,

As you plan for your homestead, there are so many other things to consider. Will you have animals? will you have a tractor? Spare parts, fuel, etc. We have an orchard, so hubby stocks up on filter for all the vehicles when they are on sale. If you have vehicles now, this is an idea as taking them to someone to change is spendy. Most of us are looking to the food supply, but what happens if your washing machine breaks down. It sounds weird but I have a wash board, never had to use it, but it is there. The local Ben Franklin carries them. A first aid kit, with extra supplies. Find some on sale fabric as you go. You can then make any clothes you might need or shop at the thrift store, sometimes a better price overall.

As far as fruit goes, this time of year find a farmer and ask for seconds. We give a great price on those, actually all the fruit seconds through the year. Some places won't let you pick drops, but as Michele said these are even cheaper. I've done that in the past too (just wash in vinegar water).

I like the hot water heater idea, may have to try that. Use your rinse water from dishes for any plants you have. Collect the water before it gets hot for your animals. (Doesn't take for ever to get hot water to your faucet?)

Good luck,
Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Whats on your list of must have items? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page