Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Old Hickory Knives? Next Topic  

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2890 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2890 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2013 :  1:28:07 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone used these? They are fairly inexpensive and are made from carbon steel, which apparently holds a sharp edge much longer. On the downside, they need to be wiped clean, or they will rust. But for about $40, you can get 5 knives, very versatile.
I have mostly Henckels knives, which I DO like(& a few Cutco I bought from a kid at church, that I HATE), but I feel as though I am constantly sharpening them.
Reviews are mixed, but it sounds as though the folks that know how to sharpen a knife decently, are quite happy with them.
Anyone have these?

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

Edited by - nubidane on Sep 17 2013 1:29:06 PM

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  10:05:55 AM  Show Profile
Lisa I have 4 Old Hickory knives. I have 2 butcher and 2 smaller knives. I bought them 21 years ago and still use them. Yeah you do have to wipe them off or they do rust. I think they are pretty good knives and mine have been sharpened many times.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

CarpentersDau
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Nancy
Ottumwa Iowa
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2013 :  1:10:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lisa,

The Old Hickory knives will be a good investment -- they are a classic. I remember my parents using them and I have used mine for over 30 years. They do keep an nice edge, and are easy to sharpen. If they do get a little rust on them, I just scrub the blade with one of those green scratchy dish scrubbers and some baking soda --comes right off! In fact that is a good way to clean them all of the time. They will develope a nice "vintage" patina and will last for many years.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Old Hickory Knives? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page