Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Gathered Up
 ~*~Celebrating Fall: A Virtual Gathering!~*~
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic ~*~Celebrating Fall: A Virtual Gathering!~*~ Next Topic
Page: of 10

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2013 :  2:17:04 PM  Show Profile

Hi My Autumn Loving Farm Sisters. Connie just told me about all the cool pictures and stories
going on in this thread (she knows I love Fall too) and would enjoy seeing them all. She was
absolutely spot on RIGHT!!!

I was out with my husband one day doing his Process Serving with him and I spotted this
Beautiful little tree up in the woods outside of Longview WA. The sun was just hitting it
so pretty and it was the first Fully Changed Tree that I had see at the beginning of fall.
Had to make him turn around and go back so I could take a picture (he is used to that with
me) after all these years. LOL

Hope You All Have a Lovely Fall Day!

Hugs and Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

"Believe in yourself and let the glitter fly!" P.Smith Mail Art Hostess

Edited by - LadyInRed on Oct 13 2013 2:18:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5078 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5078 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2013 :  2:47:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh Peggy!! That is soooo gorgeous!!!! Thanks for making your hubby go back to get the pic!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5078 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5078 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2013 :  2:53:00 PM  Show Profile
Teri, what a gorgeous picture!!!and what beautiful memories for all you MA Girls! I could just visualize all the amazing places you were describing!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2013 :  5:05:06 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, Such a beautiful tree ... so bright red.

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2013 :  8:06:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Connie and Teri...I loved your pictures and stories too.
Unfortunately Teri...I knew nothing about the places you were talking about but
they sounded interesting. LOL

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  04:08:32 AM  Show Profile
Glorious, Peggy! That picture, that tree! Simply glorious!

Teri - I SO love Boston! Have you ever been to Fanueil Hall when the Harvard Kroks (Krokodiloes) sang a cappella? Some of my favorite memories there are of them singing at Christmas and New Years outdoors in the falling snow... Love it! We also used to drive up to Boston from RI on First Night for the ice sculptures... SO beautiful! My hubby has family up in Marblehead and Salem, too. Such beautiful, historic places to visit!

Girls - when you were little, did you ever make those pressed leaf and shaved crayon stained glass windows? We loved doing that in Autumn! Collect a few brightly colored leaves and shave some of your favorite autumn colored crayons. Lay a heavy towel on the ironing board. On top of that, place a sheet of waxed paper. Sprinkle some crayon shavings on the waxed paper, then arrange your favorite leaves on top. Finish by sprinkling your leaves with the remaining crayon shavings. Add a second sheet of waxed paper atop of that, then another towel. Iron until the heat goes through the towel to melt the crayons. When cool, you can display this as is, OR cut a fancy design around the edges OR make two black or brown paper frames and glue to either side. Light just glows through when displayed in a window. I remember classroom windows covered with them when I was a little girl. Such a fun project to do with the little ones in your life!

Does anyone remember making those yarn and lifesaver roll scarecrows? I'm going to have to make one to share a picture with you. We used to make them every fall in school and then they would be delivered to elderly in our area. I just loved that. I haven't made them since our son was little - my Sunday school kids loved them!

What other autumn-type crafts did you or do you do? We went to the apple farm on Saturday, and there were so many pretty things... I was all excited to take pictures to share, but forgot my camera at home! Ugh! You know, one thing I have ALWAYS wanted to make are those dried apple faced dolls. We tried a few times, but the apples always went moldy. There has to be a trick to it... Do any of you know how to make them?

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 14 2013 04:10:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  04:17:06 AM  Show Profile
Nini,
Okay, you and I must be the same age or very close, because everything you just mentioned, I did as a child ...
And yes I have been to Fanueil Hall, but have never seen the Harvard Krocks, but now 1st night oh yes, something magical! We also used to do the one in Keene, N.H. every now and again. As well as their pumpkin lighting ... the last time we were there ( over 10+years ago) they had ove 1200 JOL all lite up ... so pretty to see.
As much as I don't miss the snow and cold, I do miss all the fun that was had in it. But, these old bones just can't take the New England winters that last for ever ... LOL

Teri

www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  04:49:05 AM  Show Profile
Get out! My Dad LIVED in Keene! Are you serious? I only visited him there once... I remember there was a HUGE hill coming down from his cabin... My husband got a ticket for coming down too fast. I was so freaked out by his inability to contain the speed, that I thanked the officer for stopping him. My hubby wasn't too happy, but it sure gave my white knuckles a bit of relief! LOL!

I've never seen the pumpkin lighting! Oh my goodness - that must be amazing, Teri!

I'm with you about the cold of winter... I'm definitely not planning retirement in Florida, though... Give me retirement in my beautiful New England with the beauty of its seasons and all the amazing history (Forever in my heart!)! There's nothing like it! I think it would be such a wonderful place for grandchildren to come visit, don't you? Alas, my hubby will probably never leave his beloved Pittsburgh - and believe me, it's co-o-old here in the winter. Oh well, wherever he goes, I will go... He's my "lobster," what can I say? ;)

I'll be 48 soon... I keep thinking I'm already 48, which kind of bums me out when I remember that I'm not because then I realize I've lost time again. You see, my foster daughter had me all confused about my age back when I was 41. She had me believing I was 42. Long story short, at the time, I was really sick, she was convincing, and it didn't mean that much at the time, so I didn't think it through. When I realized her miscalculation a year or so later, it felt like I lost an entire year of my "youth!" Since then, I get all balled up whenever I count my years. LOL! But today, I am quite certain I'm 47... I think. Dang kid - she still has me all age discombobulated! Oh, do we have a good laugh about that! To be truthful, I never really cared about my age until this all happened. I figure after 30, why bother? If you don't think about your age, you'll be forever timeless and a classic! LOL!

It's so warm here right now that we're getting new growth in the garden! I went out to check on my big pumpkin in the raised bed yesterday, and found a whole bunch of new vines with lots of little babies growing on them! I can't get over it! I wonder if they'll get bigger... This weather is so crazy, but bring on the pumpkins!!!

Happy day, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 14 2013 05:13:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  05:15:03 AM  Show Profile
Nini,
I have 10 yrs. on ya ... and don't you mean lobsta ... LOL!
I told hubby that if I did not have to go any where, drive in the snow, plow, shovel, or anything I use to do ... I would go back. YES it is a beautiful place!

Teri

www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  05:49:11 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Oops... My Pennsylvania "Rs" are slippin' in!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  06:33:46 AM  Show Profile
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

Teri

www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  08:32:25 AM  Show Profile
Love the photos everyone! Also the Autumn Bucket list. Might need to copy that so I will remember to have some times set aside to do these things and enjoy Fall more!

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  10:59:43 AM  Show Profile

Here are some more pictures I have taken that remind me of Fall.

Nini and Teri...you are just Young Things. I turn 62 this month but I still just "think" I'm 30. LOL My body betrayed me at age 50 though and so most days I "feel" like I'm 105. No, I still
stay as active as possible and try not to let my pain levels keep me from doing things.

Today it is a Gorgeous Sunny Fall Day. It is suppose to be this way all week and I am thrilled
about that!! It will be in the high 60's and low 70's all week. I should go take my dog and
myself for a walk and get out and enjoy it.

More Later My Lovelies,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Oct 14 2013 11:01:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  11:16:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes, the Mohawk Trail, simply beautiful! Oh I want to go back for Fall! Nini, my grandparents never took me there. You know it was different for me growing up, my grandparents thought that children should be seen and not heard. Such a bummer, I feel that I really missed out.

Okay NE girls, have you ever been to the Yankee Candle Factory in South Deerfield? Before Yankee got so big it was so nice, I actually got offered a job to manage a YC store in Newport but I didn't want to move. Oh and the South Deerfield Arts and Crafts Fair? Actual art, things like homemade rockers, weavings, kaleidoscopes, baskets, cheese boxes. So many beautiful things!

Oh gosh Teri, you made me laugh with 'lobsta". :) I don't have an accent but my Mom who lives with us does as she grew up in Rhode Island. So, she makes sure that she closes the caw doaw after she pocks the caw to get a cawfee frappe.

Peggy, beautiful photos! That tree is amazing! I would have had my honey stop too! Actually my honey knows now if I say 'ooooh' when we are driving somewhere to ask if I want to stop :) Thanks for sharing the photos!

Nini, I remember lifesavor scarecrows! I actually remember making something similar in Brownies but with green yarn, a Styrofoam ball for a head and sequins for eyes, nose and mouth for Christmas. It is one of the best memories of my Dad. After school I would go to our Brownie meetings at the beautiful stone Lutheran church on Stone Path Lane. One December by the time we got through with our meeting late afternoon, it was dark out (time change). My dad came to pick me up in a sled to bring me home. He pulled the sled through snow to bring me home :)That is the day I made the Lifesavor man. :)

Let's not talk about age and make this an enjoyable thread

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Oct 14 2013 11:17:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  11:30:19 AM  Show Profile
Sharon,
We used to make 2 trips a year to YC before they were bought out. I LOVED walking through the store, it was so much fun! I loved the train that used to go all the way around the top of the rooms ... It always smelled so nice and the big room where you went to pick out the votives any ones you wanted in a nice plastic package! But once they sold out ... it just was not the same ... I think they started Krystal Kandles later ...
And yes the Deerfield fair just wonderful ... okay now I'm homesick :(

Teri

www.whitesheepfarm.com

Edited by - kysheeplady on Oct 15 2013 02:58:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  11:56:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls - just popping in real quick while my son is taking his test....

Here is the website for The Big Apple: http://www.thebigapplefarm.com/ The pictures do NOT do it justice! The farm store is MUCH bigger - that's only the entry aisle you're seeing. I can just smell the homemade donuts and see the apples rolling down the conveyor after coming in from the orchards!!! Aaaah!!!

And here is the site for Phantom Farms: http://www.phantomfarms.com/ You don't see very much, but what you do see will at least give you a taste of their old-fashioned flair! :)

I love the story about your Dad, Sharon - he really WAS your lifesavor man! :) My dad's parents were the "children should be seen and not heard" grandparents. I loved them, but it was so hard to be a kid and spend time with them! I feel your pain! I think it was they who missed out more than we did. Grandchildren are the delight of their grandparents' hearts! What a shame to have missed out on the best part of their lives - you!!!

Peggy - your pictures are beautiful!! BEAUTIFUL!!! I still feel 30 inside, too. :)

Sharon - lucky, blessed you! My hubby doesn't ask. As a matter of fact, I have noticed in recent years he seems to hit a little harder on the pedal the minute something interesting comes into sight... Hmmmm... I'm going to have to have a talk with him about that! LOL! Oh! And where I grew up, they were cawfee cabinets! LOL! You sure have that accent down, girlfriend! LOL!!!

I never did make it to the Yankee Candle store, but there was a Cape Cod Candle outlet in Hyannis that was pretty cool. I was always told they made candles for Yankee, but I do not know that for sure. I do sure love my Yankee Candles, though! I didn't realize they were bought out by another company, Teri! I just heard they were recently sold, though... I wonder if that's why they've been having so many more sales and coupons than usual? I pray nobody changes the quality and scents! I've never heard of Krystal Kandles, either - are they good? I'll have to check them out!!!

I have never been to the Deerfield fair, either, but we did watch a documentary about it - or that featured it in part - on PBS one time. I would LOVE to go!!! What a wonderful place!

Gotta go - the boy just picked up the remote and looks as if he thinks school's over for the day. LOL! Silly, silly young man...

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 14 2013 11:58:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5078 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5078 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  2:25:47 PM  Show Profile
Girls, love hearing more stories about Beautiful New England! and Peggy ,Beautiful pictures!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5078 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5078 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  2:26:26 PM  Show Profile

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  6:33:08 PM  Show Profile
OOOOLaLa Connie...that is beautiful!

blessings and hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  02:59:18 AM  Show Profile
LOVE this Connie!

Teri

www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  08:03:20 AM  Show Profile
Wow... that is BEAUTIFUL, Connie!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  09:37:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh this is fantastic! Fall is my favorite season. The pictures are gorgeous!

Here's my favorite fall drink, from a recipe that was floating around the internet well before the Harry Potter theme park:

Butter beer

One cup apple cider
1 tbsp. butter
1/2-1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Heat in a microwave-safe cup for 60 seconds, stir with a cinnamon stick. Enjoy with pumpkin pie. :)

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  10:16:23 AM  Show Profile
Oooooh! That sounds delicious, Alyce! I'm going to have to try that this weekend! Thank you for sharing! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5078 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5078 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  11:11:04 AM  Show Profile
Alyce! that sounds Heavenly! Thanks for sharing! I have loved Fall with all my HEART! since I was a little girl! I loved being here with all of you, who's heart leaps at the site of Brilliant Golden leaves and Ruby red ones! I would, as my Granny would say, Dawdle on the walk to Elementary school,( the other kids would get way ahead of me) getting there late, because I was picking up leaves to press, Looking waay up to see the Reddest ones at the top of a tree or stopping to watch the wind pick them up and dance them around and around or just a single one floating from waaaaaaay up the top of a Cottonwood tree, until it landed so softly on the ground. I get very passionate this time of year, and some people I have worked with over the years, think I am a little off my rocker, But I don't care!I am amazed that they don't stop and look at God's creation all around us!! and for Free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  11:33:11 AM  Show Profile
Connie, you are the Autumn Queen! I love the photos you post! I am in agreement with you. How can one not dawdle in the Fall? I love seeing the beautiful hues around me. Yesterday walking through our yard a leaf dropped down in front of me and I just had to stop, pick it up, examine it and thank God for His lovely creation.

Alyce, that does sound tasty, thanks for sharing :)

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could plan a Farmgirl Adventure in New England in the Fall? How fun would that be?

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Gathered Up: Previous Topic ~*~Celebrating Fall: A Virtual Gathering!~*~ Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page