Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Michelle
Nebraska
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2013 :  12:26:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi
My name is Michelle, and I'm a wife and mother in my early forties.
I am an RN.
My husband and I have owned our own small business for the past fifteen years. Due to some health problems I've had lately, I've been unable to help at our store as much as normal. I've had several surgeries, an infection, and finally a total knee replacement. Because of this, we are in the process of selling our business. We are going to lose a great deal of money, and are quite depressed over it. However, we can no longer do such work, it is physically demanding, and even though selling out has been emotionally devastating, we cannot continue with it. It is time for a change.
We are currently living in a small town, in a house we bought about twenty years ago as newlyweds. We are now buying/selling/refinishing antiques, and beginning to do a bit of woodworking, as well as other art and decorative items. We have a lot of tools, and a welder....we might buy a plasma cutter.
Even though I feel it is a step down, in a way, from being a nurse....I love the creativity....my next items I will be trying to make are floorcloths and wall hangings made from canvas....which I paint.....I love to paint....and design...and decoupage......and bead. I love mosaics, I like to take a bunch of stuff.....and make it beautiful. I like to find an old crappy piece of furniture, and sand it, and stain/paint/whatever to it.....I love primitives, and shabby chic, and French/English country design. I love antiques, imagining the people who used to own them. I've salvaged all of my grandmother's furniture. Spent two months restoring it.
I love working with my husband, our bond and love is stronger than ever. I love having a free schedule....we may go to an auction, or set up at an antique show on a weekend.....spend a day photographing items for the internet.....we may be up at the break of dawn sanding a buffet, or sleeping in and running to hobby lobby, or the thrift shop......and working til midnight.....lost in paint and fabric and scrapbook paper and glitter and old dusty furniture. I love road tripping with hubby to some new flea market or sale, windows down, root beer floats in hand.....just us and our chihuahua, now that the kids are grown.
Pinterest is my guilty pleasure.....as well as HGTV.....and magazines...."Victoria", "Country Sampler", "Country Living", "Romantic Homes", "Romantic Country", "Southern Lady", "Mary Jane's Farm", "Martha Stewart", "Flea Market Chic"....etc.
My dad died a while back, and things have happened, which made me realize I will never want to move back to our home state. The family farm, we were renting out, the house in shambles, and when we visited to decorate graves.....I realized I never wanted to live THERE again, too many "things" have soured it for me. I do need to return for a few things that are meaningful to me.....the weather vane, the screen doors, the garden gate, the cream separators. I have until the end of the year, I guess. My brother and I sold that farm, it was emotionally difficult, but it was pretty large, and the thing I will miss most is the barn. If we decide to move from here, we will buy an acreage.....and I want to....I do.
I hate to be a wuss, but I must have central heat/air. An old house would be ideal. But ohhhhh a barn.....I love a beautiful red barn. A garden.......an orchard......raised flowerbeds. A chicken shed....and some other buildings.......I'd love to make a greenhouse and potting shed out of old windows and screens. A brick smokehouse. I'd like to give aquaponics (sp?) a try. A studio to work out of. A shop. This one place I've been fantasizing about has an old CHURCH they moved out there to restore.....I want to restore it....what a lovely thing.
A little acreage, no need for anything as large as our farm was....just a place of peace for us....a simple way of life. Nothing fancy. Some veggies, some fruit, a few animals. Chickens to give us eggs. Nothing that requires millions of dollars in equipment. I just want to get away from all the want want want, the idea a fifty inch TV might make one happy....or a new car.
My interests/hobbies include: spending time with hubby/kids/friends/family/my dog.... enjoying my fish aquarium......cooking......baking.....gardening (and canning.....I love to can, make pickles, jellies, etc.). Flower gardening, too. I'd love to start an herb garden. Animals. Crafts/art. Riding the motorcycle. Antiques. Visiting new places. Fishing and hunting. Camping (we have a 1998 Aero-lite I haven't glampified yet, and I'd LOVE to get a little tiny one to decorate, although ours isn't a large camper by any means). Hunting morel mushrooms is a favorite hobby.
Well that's all I can think of hopefully I will make some friends here, hopefully soon we shall rent out this house and I will purchase my little dream acreage, for we are still looking! :-)

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1503 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1503 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2013 :  07:59:39 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the farm Michelle. You will have lots of fun and meet some great farmgirls here. Enjoy!

I too enjoy painting, gardening an antiques.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Sep 14 2013 08:00:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

579 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
579 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2013 :  09:17:12 AM  Show Profile
Welcome
You'll find a lot of really nice Sisters here. Your dream is a great one and I know from what I read, you'll achieve it some day. My hubby and I want a few acres and a house with character. I would decorate a red barn with barn quilts. I love to quilt, love primitives and love to make stuff, reuse and repurpose.
Lots of people here share whatever they have, so you've come to a great place.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2013 :  10:08:40 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Michelle,
You will find kindred spirits here! Jump right in and enjoy!

Blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2013 :  4:46:39 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the farm! You'll find a lot of like-minded sisters here! Enjoy!

Blessings,

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2013 :  6:58:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi there Michelle......welcome to the Farm!! We love newbies...come visit on the Virtual Porch!

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  11:49:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi Michelle and welcome to MJF's! I'm a former LPN who also had to give up nursing after 32 years. Like you it was a hard but necessary decision based on health issues. Arts and crafts of various kinds have been my salvation. I've had to learn to slow down and live life at a slower pace. Actually, in some ways, my health has taught me greater patience and keeps me learning new crafting techniques which then blossom into new loves. Sometimes when one door closes, another one opens. In time I think you'll see the changes in your life as something that will eventually bring you even greater pleasure and harmony in your life. God always has a plan for us. I'm also a grandma to a 4 year old boy that is the light of my life. I have 2 grown sons and a new daughter in law. My oldest son is my grandson's daddy and my younger son is the one who just married. Wishes I had 2 DIL's but sometimes life just doesn't work that way. My hubby (2nd marriage) and I have a very spoiled rotten Shorkie, named Dickens, who lives up to his name daily. We also have 2 cats named Missy and Crier. We live in town in a little Victorian cottage. We love our neighborhood and we're close to a river in one direction and downtown in the other but a quiet street and we're content. I do wish I could have a couple chickens but city bylaws make it impossible for us as our lot size is too small according to their rules. I know you'll love it here. This site is a blessing to all of us. Mary Jane is a wonderful woman who has brought us all together to share a common love of all things family and home. Enjoy!

Huggz
Cheryl

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://pinterest.com/ctapestry/

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  4:43:57 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Michelle!!!! Looking forward to getting to know you.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2013 :  07:28:05 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to Farmgirls!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

Thirty-One Independent Consultant

www.mythirtyone.com/233237

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Janice
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Janice
Vancouver WA
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  12:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Hello Michele.

Don't think of it as a step down but a side step. Maybe add another step or two "Doe-see-doe"

Janice (another middle age gal)
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  5:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Michele,
Welcome to the Connection!
A great place to share/get ideas and make new friends!
ENJOY!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  5:43:08 PM  Show Profile
michele...oh my! reading your post...it truly sounds like you are making peace with your heart and soul and that is so important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
enjoy-relax-breathe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

monique
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

monique
lepelstraat noord brabant
Netherlands
165 Posts