kellic
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Kelli
Dammeron Valley UT
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  10:18:40 PM  Show Profile
I've been reading Mary Janes Farm Magazines for a couple of years. I always thought I could only be a farm girl in my heart. March of this year we moved! Five acres in Dammeron Valley, Utah. My dream of a small farm may be actually coming true. I need any and all advice. I don't even know where to begin. My thoughts are to get my garden fence put in to be ready for planting next year. I'd love to get started on my chickens. And somehow, someway, purchase a used tractor. Oh and Glamping - Love It! Most of all looking for farm girl friends!

Kelli

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  11:35:17 PM  Show Profile
Congratulation Kelli...I am just a Farmgirl Wannabe myself...I live in the City in an Apartment.

But I do garden both veggies and flowers...and share the fruits of my labor with my neighbors and family.

I think fencing in an area for a garden and starting to look for a good used or new Tractor, and thinking
about chickens & coops...all sound like a good place to begin.

And I can assure you that you will meet a lot of honest to goodness Farmgirl Friends on MJF.

Blessings and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

"Believe in yourself and let the glitter fly!" P.Smith Mail Art Hostess
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  01:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kelli from a gal in Wisconsin :) I think your idea of getting your soil tilled and fenced for next spring is a good one. Any amending you need to do should be done now too so it has time to meld with the soil. So any organic manure or compost you put down you and plow in well. Fencing to keep the critters out would be great to get done too if possible. Also any fruit trees you might want to plant this fall. They'll get a better start as the weather is a bit cooler and it usually rains more often so you might not have to haul buckets of water so often. Go around the house and see where you can snug it up with weather stripping, caulk or whatever is needed to help keep your heating costs down. Make sure before you do any digging you get the utility company out to show you where electric and gas lines are so you don't hit something. It sounds like you're going to be a very busy farmgirl this fall :) Not sure if now would be a good time to get chicks or not but you could sure make it so they have a tight snug home waiting for them. I'm sure lots of the ladies who keep chickens will chime in on their thoughts. It's been so many years since my folks had chickens that I've kind of forgotten about their special needs in regards to egg production. Happy you're here and I know you'll get lots of help :

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://pinterest.com/ctapestry/

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9392 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9392 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  11:58:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kelli!
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction getting things prepared for next year.
We just got a batch of 25 chicks. They are about 3 weeks old. My husband and son starting building a coop for them yesterday. It is quite large and so it make take at least a week with just the two of them doing it. It is 10x10 and it will have vents on each end of the peaks and he is installing a couple of windows. Also, we will have nest boxes on one end with a door so we can get the eggs from the outside. It is bigger than the other one we had for our last flock. We also decided to move it. They are going to make a covered run but the chicks can be in the coop before they get to that. I don't know how quickly your weather starts to get cool but if you got them right away and have a place for them I'm sure they would be fine if you could get them in a coop by the end of September. We put ours in a wooden crate and they really are starting to get too big for it but the coop should be done soon. Good luck with yours.
You will find lots of information here and everyone is always willing to share their knowledge and experience and what has worked for them.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 14 2013 12:00:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  12:49:57 PM  Show Profile
HI Kelli-- So good to meet you! I am down here in Gainesville, Florida. What fun you are going to have on this new adventure and like others have stated, this forum is a wealth of knowledge and experience for all things Farmgirl!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  6:44:43 PM  Show Profile
I too would say amend your soil and get it all ready for next year. Then I would start thinking about how and where you want to house those chickens! Think it through and don't rush it! Take some time to see how the water flows on your property and where there are wet spots and dry spots. Where the sun shines and where it's shady. It's best to observe a lot in the beginning. It's hard to wait though... :) I would also recommend thinking about fruit trees if you want to eventually do any of that...as that takes some time to mature.

Welcome to the forum and to the sisterhood! You're surrounded by some mighty fine women who have been there and done that!

Hugs!

April

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

kellic
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Kelli
Dammeron Valley UT
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  3:01:14 PM  Show Profile
Hello to all those beautiful women who answered my post. I can't tell you what that did to my spirit when I read all your words. Thank you. I feel so much less confused now as to the things I am doing. Thank you again. I'm so happy to be a part of this wonderful sisterhood.

Kelli
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  4:21:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kelli. Welcome! My advice is to take it slow. I know it is exciting and you are ready to go with stuff but just do what you can a little at a time. I'm with the other gals in that I would get your soil ready for next spring. Amend it now. Your veggies and flowers will be much happier come spring time. I would say, plant some perennials this fall though. That way next spring you have something to look forward to. It is great fun seeing what will come up at a new place in the spring. I was surprised this spring by some crocus and tulips. Sadly the bunnies kept the tulips from blooming. Maybe I'll get some next year. :)

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~

Farmgirl Sister #3214

http://lazymomgardener.wordpress.com/

http://littlehawkyarns.wordpress.com

www.etsy.com/shop/LittleHawkYarns
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  08:12:13 AM  Show Profile
After living in the Utah and Wyoming area for all of my life, you totally stumped me on where in the heck is Dammeron Valley, UT. I google earthed it and I gotta say, I did not even know there were towns in that area. Now I have a new place to explore and there is a FARMGIRL there, to boot. Welcome to Farmgirls! I hope you enjoy yourself here. My advise on gardening would be, do it right the first time. Spend the extra money to amend the soil with mega compost. Try the "Back to Eden" approach. It works well in high desert areas. There is a wonderful video about it on Vimeo. Just ggogle it. Let me know if you are ever in the Evanston area. We will get together and trade stories!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

Thirty-One Independent Consultant

www.mythirtyone.com/233237

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  1:08:01 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Kelli,
Welcome to Farmgirl! Lots of things to do here . . . and new farmgirl friends to make!
Enjoy it here!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mountain linny
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Linda
Valdosta Georgia
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2013 :  05:24:26 AM  Show Profile
Welcome.... I'm a new farm Girl, also. Been reading the magazine for several years, just joined and I am starting a new chapter in Valdosta, Georgia (south Georgia) almost in Florida. I would love to have a small farmhouse with enough land to have a garden somewhere in North Georgia. that dream will come true one day. great place this site for making friends and sharing ideas.

Linda farm girl # 5471

Be thankful for a new morning and the blessings shared through out the day.
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2013 :  08:24:37 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Kelli! from a Florida farmgirl at heart. I've never lived on a farm, but we had 10 acres and horses, chickens a fish pond and dogs. Gardened most of my life and love working in the dirt!

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com

www.helporganizeyou.com
www.mycountrygourmethome.com/chefmarshaj
www.marketsofsunshine.com
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Brand New Farm Girl. Help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page