Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 ChillOver question - equivalency to gelatin?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic ChillOver question - equivalency to gelatin? Next Topic  

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2013 :  04:05:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,

Does anyone know the volume/measurement equivalency of ChillOver powder to gelatin powder?

I'm trying a few recipes - some successful and some not so great - and I think my problem might be recipes that call for a "packet of gelatin". I have found a packet is about 2.5 teaspoons of gelatin powder, so should I simply use 2.5 teaspoons of ChillOver?

It seems like ChillOver has a little more gelling "muscle" than, for example, Knox.

What have you found works when substituting ChillOver for gelatin?

Thanks-
Cindy

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2013 :  1:08:58 PM  Show Profile
I used chillover in my jams this year, first time trying it. I found that for my recipe ( 4 cups fruit to 4 cups berries) that it only took the one tsp, and the result was good, not runny and not to thick either just nice for spreading on items. (then I processed it as usual.) My recipe called for a small box of gelatin in the flavor of the fruit I was using.

hope that helps,

Danyel
farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2013 :  03:02:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Danyel,

Thanks - yes, this certainly helps! It confirms my hypothesis that ChillOver packs more punch per teaspoon than powdered gelatin. I'll adjust down the amount I use in my future recipe conversions.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  3:12:42 PM  Show Profile
Your welcome, good luck. I want to try my cranberry gelatin recipe with the chill over, should probably try it out before thanksgiving.

Danyel
Farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic ChillOver question - equivalency to gelatin? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page