Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 Sewing & Embroidery & Knitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Sewing & Embroidery & Knitting Next Topic  

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  4:32:59 PM  Show Profile
Ok I'm new to sewing & embroidery I have never really sewn (is that right?) in my life I know I have a book on it some place (most likely in storage ).so I guess I'm asking people for sewing & embroidery tips for beginners.and how can I do a reversible knitted rug with border.

I'm asking because I started to knit a rug and decided I wanted a reversible rug with a border it was looking good until I uh..messed up some place and ended up with a whole on either side by the third row.any tips I'm making it for a babies room for a friend of mine.

A good man has enough sense to know when to agree with his woman & the good sense to know when to shut up xP
Sister#5410

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  4:08:37 PM  Show Profile
A fast and really cute way to make a rug is to use old sheets. You tear them into half inch strips and then use the strips (that have been attached to one another) as the yarn. It works up really fast. Some people buy old sheets at goodwill or use brand new material.

Google "bed sheet rugs" and I think you'll find instructions.
marianne
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3931 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3931 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  8:05:15 PM  Show Profile
Get some plain flour sack dish towels, a few skeins of embroidery thread and an embroidery hoop. These can be bought at any fabric store. Go to the library and check out a book which has instructions on how to make different embroidery stitches. Put the towel in the hoop, thread the needle, pick out a stitch to try and just start stitching. When comfortable with a variety of stitches, purchase some iron-on transfer designs to apply to the cloth and, again, stitch away. This is how I learned from my grandma.

Try everything once. The fun things try twice.
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  8:42:18 PM  Show Profile
lol I just got some iron on transfers about 2 weeks ago completed 1 in maybe 4 hours and it came out really good bought a lot more stuff now for it lol
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3931 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3931 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2013 :  12:00:50 AM  Show Profile
Another thing I do is to put a goop on a dish cloth and select a stitch and thread, both at random, and just start stitching anywhere inside the hoop until the thread is gone. I then select another random stitch and thread and embroider around the previous stitch. I have a large stash of embroidery thread and several stitch books to choose from so this works well for me. The designs become colourful and abstract.
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2013 :  1:08:53 PM  Show Profile
what do you mean put a goop on a dish cloth? lol..
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3931 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3931 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2013 :  2:06:54 PM  Show Profile
So sorry!!! That should have been "hoop".

Try everything once. The fun things try twice.
Go to Top of Page

Morgana_Le_Fae
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

t
SJ CA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2013 :  07:09:40 AM  Show Profile
lol well we all hit the wrong key sometimes dont we lol..but that was interesting lol
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Sewing & Embroidery & Knitting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page