Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Any ideas on this sewing machine?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any ideas on this sewing machine? Next Topic  

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  01:25:53 AM  Show Profile
My aunt has been slowly going through my grandma's house as she cleans things out, and has offered me this machine that was my grandma's.

Any ideas on the brand or how old it is? No one in the family really knows anything about it (my uncles weren't exactly interested in the sewing room), other than it's huge and apparently heavy duty from all the farm clothes she had to repair.

I'm seriously debating taking it just because... I would just need to get it serviced and finish getting a few other things built in the basement to make room for it. :)

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed

Edited by - Lanna on Aug 19 2013 01:27:43 AM

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  1:11:55 PM  Show Profile
By the small details in the picture, it looks like a vintage Singer. Can you take a picture of the sewing machine up? It should have a serial # on it. You can usually Google it to see what year it is. Nice cabinet!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee
Sister #44

My Blog: http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com/

My Etsy Shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewmaryjane
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13615 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13615 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  8:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I'm with Maryjane . . . looks like an old singer. You should be able to open it up and get it up where you can get a closer look at it.
Looks like a lovely treasure!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  11:27:29 PM  Show Profile
Okay, finally was able to get ahold of my mom (she's been having a lot of adventures in her retirement, holy smokes). It's apparently a 60-70yo Pfaff, heavy duty. Might only do a straight stitch, likely not zig-zag, but it's been a while. Grandma used it on a ton of jeans, or so the story goes. I've got three boys that are hard on clothes, so I'm a bit intrigued.

I found a similar one for sale far away in another land (teehee): http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-hobbies-crafts-Reduced-Semi-Industrial-Pfaff-130-6-in-Original-Pfaff-Cabinet-W0QQAdIdZ499317373

So how are Pfaffs? Do the old ones hold up if maintained? I've gotten the canning/preserving and making babies and homeopathic thing down, but sewing is still part kryptonite to me.

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  12:00:18 AM  Show Profile
Pfaff used to be a real workhorse sewing machine. When I was in the theater, all the costume shops had them. You'd probably have to invest in a thorough restoration job, getting an expert to take it apart, clean and oil it, replace any missing parts, etc. Only you can know if it's worth it.

The cabinet is interesting and appears to be in good condition.
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2013 :  7:33:45 PM  Show Profile
If that is a Pfaff 130, it is a prized machine. It has a 1.2 amp motor which means it can plow through canvas, leather, denim, etc, without any trouble. Get it serviced and cleaned. You won't be sorry. I own one and it's amazing. If you need a manual, holler.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  5:44:54 PM  Show Profile
I have a Pfaff 130, which was my grandmother's. She sewed "everything" with it. I use it regularly myself and have it serviced every other year. I LOVE it!

Vicki
Farm Girl #120

Vicki
Farmgirl Sister #120
Nature never repeats herself, and the possibilities of one human soul will never be found in another - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any ideas on this sewing machine? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page