Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 What Is Really In That Chicken...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic What Is Really In That Chicken... Next Topic  

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  4:24:37 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone else noticed the size of the chicken breast you buy in the stores. They have to be filled with hormones even though they say they are not. One half breast is so much larger than the breast on a whole chicken. I love chicken but cannot bear to buy it much anymore. I know it is not natural for chicken breast to be that large. Only wish we had somewhere we could buy them that was all natural.

Hugs!

Judy

"Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

"Country Girl at Heart"...

Edited by - wildflower17 on Aug 13 2013 7:32:11 PM

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  8:40:39 PM  Show Profile
I know the companies plump them up by adding water. Don't know what else they add, but I rarely eat meat anymore. I just can't see how eating meat from a highly stressed animal could be good for anyone. The stress that the animal endures over its brief lifetime is concentrated in that meat--it just can't be good and healthy. Some people can actually "taste" the emotions of the person who made their food--there is a book, "Bitter on the Tongue" about a girl who had this gift. It's fiction but it's based on reality. I just know food tastes better when it's made with love.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  9:02:36 PM  Show Profile
Well, it used to be that a "fryer" was about three pounds. Now if you can find one under six you are lucky. Those chicken breasts are just too big for one person to eat alone. I'll take a scrawny three pounder.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  10:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Yuck. Whenever I see those huge breasts and birds at the grocer, I jokingly refer to them as "Three Mile Island Chickens." They are flavorless, have a weird texture... The just LOOK so unnatural! I just don't like them at all and, like you all, I question their health benefit. Thankfully we found a local butcher that offers local, organic, free-range, antibiotic free chicken. Yes, it's a little more expensive, but I'm willing to pay for it. There's a little less meat on the table, of course, but at least what is there is tasty and healthy!

We actually are ordering from Zaycon Food's chicken breast sale for the first time this year. They won't be delivering until October 5th, but the price can't be beat, and I am fairly certain that 80 lbs. will last us a good long while. Have any of you ever ordered from them before? I'm really looking forward to it!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 14 2013 10:27:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Carol Jean
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Carol
Parkersburg WV
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  10:53:57 AM  Show Profile
Here is a radio broadcast episode with health conscious and humane guest speaker Frank Reese, an expert on poultry who himself raises only heirloom turkey and chickens who talks about genetically modified poultry which all commercially grown poultry is now. These poor animals are bred to be too fat to walk and are even bred not to have feathers to save having to pluck them anymore. Since listening to this broadcast I've become determined to get our city to come into step with our state's capitol city that has recently changed their ordinance to allow chickens and beehives. http://www.heritageradionetwork.com/archives?tag=Frank+Reese

~~~ It's never too late to live happily ever after ~~~
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  04:17:31 AM  Show Profile
This is why we chose to raise a different breed of chicken for meat this season. However, they did have less meat. We are still experimenting with which breed is best for our health, and pocket book. We did find an all natural feed for them too (no antibiotics, no added anything). Most chicken feed contains nasty ingredients including arsenic.

Farmgirl Sister #800

My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Our Family Store: http://roosterscrowfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  08:50:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nini, you crack me up!
I have looked into Zaycon foods but there isn't anything local for me.

I remember when we first tried organic chicken. We were just amazed at the taste. It was so tasty!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic What Is Really In That Chicken... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page